Overclocking a DV6 laptop with GT650m

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
I just bought an HP-DV6-7014nr laptop. It has a 3610qm processor, 16Gb of corsair 1866mhz high performance memory, 256Gb Crucial m4 SSD, 1920x1080 screen, and a Nvidia GeForce GT650m graphics. I just added the memory and the SSD now I want to upgrade my graphics card a little. I was wondering if any of you know of some software or any tricks I could use to overclock my GT650m just a little. I heard of Nvidia nTune. And by the way I know nothing about overclocking graphics cards so if you could please describe the things you are saying a little better it would be appreciated.

On a side note would it be possible or safe to overclock my PC? If you know a lot about this topic please feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance.

Solution
You can download msi afterburner, usually for mobile cards its very limited and its more safe expect the ram oc you'll have to be careful, then with the oc see the temperatures(with msi afterburner or gpu-z...if its too high then lower it...or use the stock speeds.
Some mobile cards holds well some oc, it depends on the temperatures and usage...
You can download msi afterburner, usually for mobile cards its very limited and its more safe expect the ram oc you'll have to be careful, then with the oc see the temperatures(with msi afterburner or gpu-z...if its too high then lower it...or use the stock speeds.
Some mobile cards holds well some oc, it depends on the temperatures and usage...

Solution

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
HEYYY thanks djangoringo your the first person who replied who actually answered my question so guess what? You got my BEST answer! No but I do appreciate it I will down load that. I guess after I download it, it will be self explainatory am I right? Anyways thanks alot for not saying anything about the heat.

It is easy to use the core clock you can raise to the maximum, the core voltage and power limit will be locked cause it is a mobile gfx card.
The memory clock usually no more than ~10% in mobile cards.
And that's it, there is a monitor with temperature, gpu load were you can see if its too hot ( for a mobile one no more than 85-90 degrees).
Also you can check throttlestop app for its cpu throttling and see the web for guides.

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

Ok I download MSI Afterburner and you were correct about everything. The thing is, I ran a graphics test with the MSI Afterburning graphics testing software and I got the same score before and after. The score is 427. Why do you think after overclocking to the max I am still getting the same score there? DO you have to be gaming to notice the difference?

Yes, you have a hybrid dual graphics system called nvidia optimus, it uses the igpu (intel hd graphics and nvidia gpu).
Go to the nvidia panel and check if the nvidia graphics are set when you want gaming see this :

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/72567/can-i-force-steam-to-use-my-nvidia-gpu-instead-of-the-integrated-intel-card

You only see the difference when gaming, e.g: stock speeds 30 fps, oc speeds 36 fps.
Try testing with a game with fraps on...and see the difference between stock speeds and oc by the framerate.

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

Hey thanks alot man I appreciate it. I tried it and got a 4 FPS increase while playing Borderlands 2 with the settings all on MAX. I am up to 23FPS second in an action intense enviroment, thats up from 18FPS. And I overclocked it to the max which is +1000Mhz memory and +135Mhz core clock and the temp only went up from 66C to 68C after 10 minute test. Now I am at 970Mhz core clock and 3000Mhz memory clock. And while playing I can tell it works. My system is hard on my graphics card since it is 1080p. Also I do have my Nvidia control panel set to only use the Nvidia graphics when I am on Steam. And again thanks alot this would not have been possible without your help. This might keep me from upgrading for a while now.

ilikemoneygreen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I have a dv6-7000 and have overclocked its gpu. I wouldn't say its worth it. It gets hot and doesn't provide a real boost to its gpu. It feels like the fan works harder then it should, and if you keep it overclocked for long i have a feeling you'd be replacing the fan sooner then expected. Either way the resource i used was this forum (at end of post.) the thread has a whole lot of other links to various tools and such. Read at least a couple pages after and youll get guides and such. Hope this helps.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/677169-nvidia-mobile-kepler-6xx-master-overclocking-guide-workaround-max-clocks-oc-stability.html#post8708811