Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ssd with a 5900 vs 7200 hard drive?

Last response: in Storage
Share
February 27, 2012 12:13:13 AM

I am building a new system and was wondering about my hard drive.
I bought a crucial 128 SSD, but need some more storage. I have a 1TB WD caviar black 7200 or a Seagate barracuda 2tb green 5900 drive to use. Would the Seagate be much slower while using the SSD?

Thanks for any help,
Doug
February 27, 2012 12:33:02 AM

Ripey said:
I am building a new system and was wondering about my hard drive.
I bought a crucial 128 SSD, but need some more storage. I have a 1TB WD caviar black 7200 or a Seagate barracuda 2tb green 5900 drive to use. Would the Seagate be much slower while using the SSD?

Thanks for any help,
Doug


The SSD speed and hard drive speed have nothing to do with each other. The speed of the data on that drive will be slower to access you simply have to be aware of this. Depending upon what you are storing on the drive you may notice. If you intend it as a media drive with music or videos on it then the speed won't make a difference. If you intend on putting software on the drive then you have to know those applications will take a bit longer to start. So the real question is application. Are you willing to wait a couple extra seconds to access the data or does the that data need to be fast and are you willing to pay for the performance?

Depending upon your application you have a choice of capacity vs. performance. For media storage I would favor the 5400-5900rpm Green drives. If I was storing software or doing video editing I would favor the higher performance 7200rpm.
m
0
l
February 27, 2012 1:11:44 PM

Thank you for the reply. I guess I was just thinking that having my OS on the SSD might give me some advantage to accessing my files, but I understand what you are saying. Each drive can only read as fast as it is.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 353 G Storage
February 27, 2012 1:25:31 PM

The SSD is great for (A) Loading the OS and (B) Opening programs. What it will not do is speed up web broosing, Email, Increase FPS for a game, or opening Your data files that are on the HDD.

That Said, most people that use an SSD state - No way in HE double L would they go back to a HDD for their OS + Programs.

As To the HDD. Unless you need the 2 TB storage space go for the 1 TB. The "Green" is not much of a savings on energy. Not Segate has announced that they are dropping ther "Green" line as performance hit is not realy offset by engergy savings. In general I see more dissatisfaction with the "Geen" and "Blue" drives than with the Higher performance drives - could be a misconception on my part.
My HDDs of choice are the Samsung F3 and the WD Black drives. NOTE: Don't fall for the Hip of SATA III HDD (Excepted, the Hybred drives using an 8+ gig internal SSD) as the only boost you get is in Burst rate. My take - a waste of a GOOD sata III port.
m
0
l
February 27, 2012 4:28:33 PM

RetiredChief said:
The SSD is great for (A) Loading the OS and (B) Opening programs. What it will not do is speed up web broosing, Email, Increase FPS for a game, or opening Your data files that are on the HDD.

That Said, most people that use an SSD state - No way in HE double L would they go back to a HDD for their OS + Programs.

As To the HDD. Unless you need the 2 TB storage space go for the 1 TB. The "Green" is not much of a savings on energy. Not Segate has announced that they are dropping ther "Green" line as performance hit is not realy offset by engergy savings. In general I see more dissatisfaction with the "Geen" and "Blue" drives than with the Higher performance drives - could be a misconception on my part.
My HDDs of choice are the Samsung F3 and the WD Black drives. NOTE: Don't fall for the Hip of SATA III HDD (Excepted, the Hybred drives using an 8+ gig internal SSD) as the only boost you get is in Burst rate. My take - a waste of a GOOD sata III port.


Fully agree with the SATA3 statement conventional platter drives cannot fully saturate a SATA2 bus let alone the extra bandwidth of SATA3. The biggest advantages of the Western Digital Black series over the Blue or Green drives is the extra speed and the 5 yr warranty. All the others have far shorter ones.
As far as Green drives are concerned the big savings may not come from exclusively from the power savings, they also produce a lot less heat. In situations where speed isn't a concern there are very valid applications for the green drives. The other method to overcome their weaknesses are to put them into a RAID array, however that does defeat the power savings a little.
m
0
l
February 27, 2012 4:42:58 PM

Ripey said:
Thank you for the reply. I guess I was just thinking that having my OS on the SSD might give me some advantage to accessing my files, but I understand what you are saying. Each drive can only read as fast as it is.


No having the OS on the SSD will offer no speed advantage accessing fileson another drive. It would be nice if the OS could offer some soft of cacheing effect but it would have to store that data somewhere, the only option there is RAM and Windows isn't going to use RAM to cache files you may or may not access. The only option that offers a SSD caching effect would be one of the Seagate Barracuta XT Hybrid drives that offers a combined 8GB SSD and platter hard drive. These use an automatic method of cacheing in order to place your frequently access data in the SSD portion. This cacheing is not to be confused with the normal cache of 8-64MB that the drive uses, these are independent of each other and work together.
m
0
l
a c 353 G Storage
February 27, 2012 5:08:56 PM

Quote: they also produce a lot less heat. end quote.
A single, or even two drives, in a typical computer case - questionable, and at best might translate to a cup of java from 7-11 per month or two.
Your taking about the CPU/GPU fans runing at a slightly higher speed periodically.
Green drives are more a marketing ploy for the home user. Will agree they may make since if you're running a HDD farm

Speaking of 7-11, that is what my wife calls the actress who played 7 of 9. My Son told my wife that if he ever runs into her, he was going to tell her. Before you say "FAT CHANCE", he takes the Photos at the annual syfy charity convention and my wife does the printing.
m
0
l
February 28, 2012 3:00:03 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I will probably use the green drive as a backup drive, and use the black in the computer.
m
0
l
!