Sign in with
Your question

What is a better graphic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2010 3:24:00 PM

radeon ATI or NVIDIA? i personally have been using radeon racently but first started out using NVIDIA with G FOrce but that was way back in the day of pentium 3 with 128 MB Ram days

so im trying to figure what i should go for? when buying a graphic card for my new computer
cost friendly yet reliable

More about : graphic card

a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2010 3:27:16 PM

Price/performance ratios are currently owned by ATI. Without fail, within any set price range, you will get a better card by going ATI. If you have a budget for the GPU in mind, as well as the rest of the system specs (CPU, PSU, Monitor resolution) we might be able to give specific recommendations.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2010 3:33:18 PM

I agree, ATI has got the best cards for the money right now at the high end. At the mid to low end, it's a bit more competitive. But if you're building a machine with decent specs, you'll get a much better deal with ATI.
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2010 3:37:14 PM

ok.. i've pretty much decided im not a AMD guy so i wanna stick it out with INtel
but can you tell me what's the difference between I3 I5 and I7?
i remember i used to compare things like quard core extreme is now the new pentium 4 the dual core being pentium 3 and pentium 4 is like celeron

ok i'll keep ATI as my main video card and also when looking at cyberpowerpc.com it says 2nd video card and cross over fire and what not what does that mean? not a needed item for 2nd video card right?
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 9, 2010 3:39:50 PM

The i3, i5, and i7 are simply prefixes for Intel's CPU lineup. If you're looking at purchasing a CPU under $120, buy from AMD. Anything over, intel has good options.

Both cards need to support crossfire, and you require a crossfire bridge, in order to use it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2010 3:47:31 PM

i7 - Premium quad core with Hyper threading, for 8 logical cores. Available primarily on LGA1336 platform, with a couple versions available on LGA1156.
i5 - Upper mainstream quadcores, and hyper threaded dual cores (also 4 logical cores) primarily on the LGA1156 platform, some with GPU on the chip
i3 - entry level dual cores, some with hyperthreading (4 logical cores), optional GPUs on chip (not for gaming) also for the 1156 platform.

As far as gaming goes, i5 750 is a pretty solid choice.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2010 3:55:51 PM

yunggeh said:
ok i'll keep ATI as my main video card and also when looking at cyberpowerpc.com it says 2nd video card and cross over fire and what not what does that mean? not a needed item for 2nd video card right?

You don't need Crossfire unless you plan on using two video cards at once. Which is completely optional.

If you do want to use multiple cards, you'll need a motherboard that supports crossfire (or SLI if you went with nvidia), as well as two of the same card (e.g. 5770 and 5770). It's possible to do crossfire in some cases with similar cards that aren't identical, but not always, and it usually means you'll be giving up performance from whichever is the better card.
m
l
February 9, 2010 3:56:44 PM

ok.. i guess i should just ask myself do i need this high tech cpu? i only play some counter strike and mostly star craft and have yet found a game that's currently out that i enjoy or invest my time with other than that i do watch a lot of music videos and download movies
but sometimes i download like 10 files open 4 or 5 tabs of internet explorer and some with youtube
and use my 2nd monitor as full screen size of windows media while main is running all of the above
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2010 3:59:24 PM

Then an i3 could be more suitable for a good cash saving.

Though for the same money you can get a decently clocked real quad core from AMD. If you were a friend who came to me to build a computer to those needs on a budget, there is no way that I could reasonably recommend intel. If insisted upon, I would do it, but AMD, like ATI, has so much more bang for the buck in their offerings compared to the competition.
m
l
February 9, 2010 4:02:24 PM

so your telling me amd is better than intel??
i dont know much about amd other than it's out there as a competitor and only used it once in my life if not briefly for like 3 weeks max

m
l
February 9, 2010 4:05:53 PM

wait so your saying amd is gonna give me what intel can give me pretty much?
and intel's a over priced cpu?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2010 4:11:26 PM

No, intel is superior to AMD clock for clock and class for class. You will pay less for a technically inferior product in an AMD chip, but that isn't to say it is a crippling experience to use AMD cpus for gaming.

If your only interest is in gaming, and brand loyalties are put aside for budget friendliness, then again, AMD does come out very well. There are Athlon II quadcores for under $100 that are clocked at 2.7ghz, and their top of the line Phenom II x4s can be had for just over $200. For gaming alone, there is no shame in using a new Phenom or Athlon.

If you have grander plans for the computer, and a decent wad of cash, then an i7 is almost assumed to be your target hardware, but an i7 for gaming alone is generally an enthusiast benchmarker or hobbyist choice.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2010 4:50:09 PM

yunggeh said:
wait so your saying amd is gonna give me what intel can give me pretty much?
and intel's a over priced cpu?

Basically, he's saying that the i5/i7 Intel chips are noticeably better than anything AMD has, but also more expensive ... and you don't need an i5/i7 because you're not doing a lot of super-intense gaming.

The AMD Phenom II x4 is still a very good CPU -- more than enough to handle what you're doing -- and it costs a lot less. I'd tend to agree that's the way to go in your case.
m
l
February 9, 2010 5:01:31 PM

ok last question then.. and i'll build my computer figuration
what's the difference between Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.80 GHz 8M L2 Cache LGA1156 and Intel® Core™ i5-661 3.33 GHz 4M L3 Cache LGA1156 cause i might settle for Intel® Core™ i5-670 3.46 GHz 4M L3 Cache LGA1156 but says the upgrade pricing is both $0 if i was gonna do it i might go for i7 cause it's higher name

and is i5 660 better cpu than the dual core quad and/or extreme quad?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2010 5:24:50 PM

i7-860 is quad + hyper threading - 8 logical cores.
i5-661 is duo + hyper threading - 4 logical cores

860 is clocked at 2.8ghz with turbo taking a single core as high as 3.46ghz
661 is clocked at 3.33ghz with turbo taking a single core as high as 3.60ghz
661 also has a built in gpu, which is clocked higher than the 660. Since you have a videocard planned, this gpu is pointless.
m
l
!