Applying Thermal Compound

grach

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Hi,
I've seen multiple videos on YouTube that were suggesting different methods to apply thermal compound on the CPU.
I couldn't really make up my mind which method is better, so I'm asking it here.
Which method would you recommend to apply the thermal compound?
Making an X on the CPU and then placing the heatsink over it? make a horizontal line in the middle of the CPU? or just making a pea-kind-of shape?

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
It doesn't really matter in the end, because the clearance (space) between the top of the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink will be so so small that the paste will spread out more or less evenly and plenty of the paste will be "sandwiched" out. I've always put about a dime-full of paste in the middle and let the pressure between the two plates do the work (or spreading it outwards). On this note though, it does make more sense to do the dime thing because this way it should spread out evenly towards the edge, whereas if you do the X it won't be such a uniform spread. Basically, if you look at AMD and Intel generic heatsinks with thermal paste pre-applied, they always use a "round and centered" layout....and I'm sure they have reasons for doing it that way.

jerryshardware

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Hello,

For intel CPUs the best way is also the easiest: put some paste in the middle of the CPU in the shape of a short, wide line. Just like horizontal line, but make the line not to long and make it "fat". Then put the heatsink carefully on and screw it diagonally on the motherboard.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND following instruction from ARCTIC SILVER. It contains application methods for intel and AMD CPUs.
These methods explained by ARCTIC SILVER are good for any pastes I think. They are very intensive, but worth reading it. I also recommend their product ARCTIC SILVER 5 for CPUs.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

grach

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

Awesome! this is great.
Thanks for the help.

dragonsamus

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
With my Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus I applied two lines one third the length of the bottom of the cooler on the two inner heat pipes. With a flat base cooler I would use a rice size amount of thermal paste in the middle of the cpu.

xFriarx

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I always used to use the line or X and spread with a credit/gift card before applying the heatsink. However, the last few I have just done the pea/bb in the center and have the heat sink spread it for me. Being paranoid, the first time I tried the pea/bb method, I did a demo run where I applied the TIM and then tightened the heatsink so it would spread and then removed the heatsink to make sure I put enough on, which I did. I then clean it off and did it for real. Haven't gone back, much faster/easier.

Honestly, I haven't seen a difference between the two. Both seem to be effective. Just be sure to get enough with the pea/bb. A dime size seems to be excessive, unless you are leaving it thin and not letting it ball up like the pea/BB method.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
i use a pea sixze in centre , nd 4 small dot 4-5mm in from each corner of the cpu heat spreader then drop the cooler ob twist it once or twice and clamp it down . So far I've gotten good coverage and great temps on my laptops , intel and desktops AMD ,