Sign in with
Your question

How to change RAM voltage, i7 930?

Last response: in Memory
October 1, 2010 1:34:12 AM

So i bought some Patriot RAM (3x2gb). DDR3, 1600MHz, 240 pin.
I read the spec sheet and found that it requires 1.6v for operation.

*sigh*

I read that the DDR3 defaults to 1.5v. How do I change the RAM voltage to 1.6?
I haven't received my motherboard in the mail yet so I can't do any tinkering around.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5.

I have read of a DRAM voltage but I don't know if this is the correct one. As a first time builder I'm pretty scared to go about changing settings that may not be the correct settings I want to change.

Thanks.

More about : change ram voltage 930

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2010 11:08:14 AM

1.6v is normal for DDR3 RAM.

Generally the board will automatically set the voltage to the correct value.

Even if it does not and the voltage is set to 1.5v the PC should still start, this is because the RAM is by default below its specified frequency @ 1333MHz and also sometimes latency aswell.

When starting the PC up for the first time you press [DEL] to enter the BIOS. I believe "PC Health Statistics" shows the voltages, it is labeled as "DRAM". If it is 1.6v (or there abouts) then you are fine but if it is 1.5v:

Have a look in your board's manual for voltage settings, it should tell you and you should be able to navigate through the BIOS to find them. Change the DRAM or as the manual says is the RAM voltage to 1.6v.

Hope that helps.
m
l
October 1, 2010 1:04:28 PM

But don't change it to +1.65....intel says that is a no no (can cause 'permanent damage to CPU')
m
l
!