Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why does Dennon keep Replay around?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 4:06:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

They seem to do NOTHING with it!
I went to activate a third Replay bought from EBay yesterday.
I couldn't remember my password for Replaytv.com so I clicked "Send me my
password".
Well, it lets me know it's been changed and will be mailed to me.

24 hours later I'm still waiting for a new password and I can't help but
wonder what the hell Dennon is doing with their purchase?! Barely any
customer service exists, there have been no software or feature upgrades or
advances in years, hell, the website touts new features from 2 years ago!!

I still believe Replay is the superior DVR, but for the love of God, support
the damn thing or sell it off!!!

More about : dennon replay

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 11:42:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Gee, I had great service from them when my #1 Replay (I have 3as well)
died a couple of months ago. They authorized an RMA and shipped the
replacement pronto. Took care of some registration issues, all over the
phone (I could not do what I wanted to do on line, neither could the
level 1 service rep, she had to take notes which were properly passed to
a higher level rep who took care of it "offline")

No complaints at all..... Perhaps I just got a good level 1 rep

Xarias wrote:
> They seem to do NOTHING with it!
> I went to activate a third Replay bought from EBay yesterday.
> I couldn't remember my password for Replaytv.com so I clicked "Send me my
> password".
> Well, it lets me know it's been changed and will be mailed to me.
>
> 24 hours later I'm still waiting for a new password and I can't help but
> wonder what the hell Dennon is doing with their purchase?! Barely any
> customer service exists, there have been no software or feature upgrades or
> advances in years, hell, the website touts new features from 2 years ago!!
>
> I still believe Replay is the superior DVR, but for the love of God, support
> the damn thing or sell it off!!!
>
>

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:47:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Xarias wrote:
> They seem to do NOTHING with it!
> I went to activate a third Replay bought from EBay yesterday.
> I couldn't remember my password for Replaytv.com so I clicked "Send me my
> password".
> Well, it lets me know it's been changed and will be mailed to me.
>
> 24 hours later I'm still waiting for a new password and I can't help but
> wonder what the hell Dennon is doing with their purchase?!

"Dennon" has nothing to do with Replay. Denon and Replay are members of
the same unit (DNNA).

> Barely any
> customer service exists, there have been no software or feature upgrades or
> advances in years, hell, the website touts new features from 2 years ago!!
>
The last 3 or 4 times I had a problem I got somebody in a couple of
rings and everything was taken care of. In case you didn't get the memo,
there are no "upgrades" coming for the old units. But considering they
still have capabilities the others don't, that's not so bad.

Several DNNA people have mentioned a new HD unit coming soon. It is also
mentioned in DNNA reports as is the big household server based systems.
Whether they are Replay, Escient, Denon or branded something else is
also unknown.
Related resources
August 3, 2005 5:05:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Tony D wrote:
> Xarias wrote:
>
>> They seem to do NOTHING with it!
>> I went to activate a third Replay bought from EBay yesterday.
>> I couldn't remember my password for Replaytv.com so I clicked "Send me
>> my password".
>> Well, it lets me know it's been changed and will be mailed to me.
>>
>> 24 hours later I'm still waiting for a new password and I can't help
>> but wonder what the hell Dennon is doing with their purchase?!
>
>
> "Dennon" has nothing to do with Replay. Denon and Replay are members of
> the same unit (DNNA).
>
>> Barely any customer service exists, there have been no software or
>> feature upgrades or advances in years, hell, the website touts new
>> features from 2 years ago!!
>>
> The last 3 or 4 times I had a problem I got somebody in a couple of
> rings and everything was taken care of. In case you didn't get the memo,
> there are no "upgrades" coming for the old units. But considering they
> still have capabilities the others don't, that's not so bad.

Maybe so, but you'd think they would at least fix the channels. I like
that it records random shows for me. But I hate that it keeps recording
the same one 3 or 4 times over a couple of week period.

I don't know who the hell wrote the logic for that. They should have
used a little hard disk space to store the last several hundred or
thousand shows that I watched and/or deleted in the channels. As a
programmer I take offense to the stupidity of of. Thats probably why my
friend who turned me on to replay told me nobody uses the channels.

I just get the feeling that they half ass implemented the channels, and
it wouldn't have been much more code to make it work a lot better.

> Several DNNA people have mentioned a new HD unit coming soon. It is also
> mentioned in DNNA reports as is the big household server based systems.
> Whether they are Replay, Escient, Denon or branded something else is
> also unknown.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:05:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"Rick" <vanyar@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:4i3Ie.869$SE3.184@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
> Tony D wrote:
>> Xarias wrote:
>>
>>> They seem to do NOTHING with it!
>>> I went to activate a third Replay bought from EBay yesterday.
>>> I couldn't remember my password for Replaytv.com so I clicked "Send me
>>> my password".
>>> Well, it lets me know it's been changed and will be mailed to me.
>>>
>>> 24 hours later I'm still waiting for a new password and I can't help but
>>> wonder what the hell Dennon is doing with their purchase?!
>>
>>
>> "Dennon" has nothing to do with Replay. Denon and Replay are members of
>> the same unit (DNNA).
>>
>>> Barely any customer service exists, there have been no software or
>>> feature upgrades or advances in years, hell, the website touts new
>>> features from 2 years ago!!
>>>
>> The last 3 or 4 times I had a problem I got somebody in a couple of rings
>> and everything was taken care of. In case you didn't get the memo, there
>> are no "upgrades" coming for the old units. But considering they still
>> have capabilities the others don't, that's not so bad.
>
> Maybe so, but you'd think they would at least fix the channels. I like
> that it records random shows for me. But I hate that it keeps recording
> the same one 3 or 4 times over a couple of week period.
>
> I don't know who the hell wrote the logic for that. They should have used
> a little hard disk space to store the last several hundred or thousand
> shows that I watched and/or deleted in the channels. As a programmer I
> take offense to the stupidity of of. Thats probably why my friend who
> turned me on to replay told me nobody uses the channels.
>
> I just get the feeling that they half ass implemented the channels, and it
> wouldn't have been much more code to make it work a lot better.

I agree, if you had a database of previously recorded shows you could delete
one without fear of it being recorded again. What bugs me is I recorded a
show, First Run Only, and after the show was over it recorded the same show
being rebroadcast the next hour.

Although it isn't perfect, I love it. It is much better than a VCR. And no
Zardaz, I don't know anything about a Tivo and don't care to know. It would
be nice if Replay placed a "Suggestions" page on their web site for
improvements to the software.


>> Several DNNA people have mentioned a new HD unit coming soon. It is also
>> mentioned in DNNA reports as is the big household server based systems.
>> Whether they are Replay, Escient, Denon or branded something else is also
>> unknown.
>
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:05:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

> Maybe so, but you'd think they would at least fix the channels. I like
> that it records random shows for me. But I hate that it keeps recording
> the same one 3 or 4 times over a couple of week period.

There is nothing to "fix". YOU chose a theme channel, which by
definition records ALL instances of a show across ALL channels. If this
is not what you want, don't select it.
>
> I don't know who the hell wrote the logic for that. They should have
> used a little hard disk space to store the last several hundred or
> thousand shows that I watched and/or deleted in the channels. As a
> programmer I take offense to the stupidity of of. Thats probably why my
> friend who turned me on to replay told me nobody uses the channels.

I suppose that this would cause an equal number of complaints like it
does with Tivo people where a show is not recorded because Tivo "thinks"
it was even though the recorded one was pre-empted or the guide was
wrong or whatever.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:05:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

> I agree, if you had a database of previously recorded shows you
could delete
> one without fear of it being recorded again. What bugs me is I recorded a
> show, First Run Only, and after the show was over it recorded the same show
> being rebroadcast the next hour.

Not possible. If a channel is marked "first run" it is a Replay channel
and will NOT record 2 eps back to back. You would need 2 Replay
channels. So it had to be a theme channel and by definition this records
all episodes across all channels. If this is not what you want, don't
chose it.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 9:35:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:YISdncm0hdWta23fRVn-uQ@giganews.com...
> > I agree, if you had a database of previously recorded shows you could
> delete
>> one without fear of it being recorded again. What bugs me is I recorded a
>> show, First Run Only, and after the show was over it recorded the same
>> show being rebroadcast the next hour.
>
> Not possible. If a channel is marked "first run" it is a Replay channel
> and will NOT record 2 eps back to back. You would need 2 Replay channels.
> So it had to be a theme channel and by definition this records all
> episodes across all channels. If this is not what you want, don't chose
> it.

It IS possible. I was in the channel guide and pressed the record buton to
record the show. It recorded that show and the repeat right after it. I have
set up recordings, although I may not have set them up "right", and have
gotten the same episode recorded twice. I am still learning the software and
procedures, so I am going to make mistakes. When the replay records the same
episode, that is not my mistake.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:32:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I'm not so sure about this, Tony. I created a theme channel to record
"Autopsy," and even though I kept the old episodes on the RTV, it kept
re-recording duplicates. The episode descriptions were identical, too. I
finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I ended up deleting the theme channel.

Regards,

Margaret

"Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:YISdncm0hdWta23fRVn-uQ@giganews.com...
> > I agree, if you had a database of previously recorded shows you could
> delete
>> one without fear of it being recorded again. What bugs me is I recorded a
>> show, First Run Only, and after the show was over it recorded the same
>> show being rebroadcast the next hour.
>
> Not possible. If a channel is marked "first run" it is a Replay channel
> and will NOT record 2 eps back to back. You would need 2 Replay channels.
> So it had to be a theme channel and by definition this records all
> episodes across all channels. If this is not what you want, don't chose
> it.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:47:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:32:04 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
<twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

>I'm not so sure about this, Tony. I created a theme channel to record
>"Autopsy," and even though I kept the old episodes on the RTV, it kept
>re-recording duplicates. The episode descriptions were identical, too. I
>finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I ended up deleting the theme channel.
>
>Regards,
>
>Margaret
>

A lot of shows will come on multiple times a day. I've avoided a lot
of duplicates by not watching right away .I have never seen a theme
channel record duplicates (when the first is still on the Replay)
unless it's a show without episode titles.

Do your duplicate shows have episode titles (not just descriptions)?

>"Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:YISdncm0hdWta23fRVn-uQ@giganews.com...
>> > I agree, if you had a database of previously recorded shows you could
>> delete
>>> one without fear of it being recorded again. What bugs me is I recorded a
>>> show, First Run Only, and after the show was over it recorded the same
>>> show being rebroadcast the next hour.
>>
>> Not possible. If a channel is marked "first run" it is a Replay channel
>> and will NOT record 2 eps back to back. You would need 2 Replay channels.
>> So it had to be a theme channel and by definition this records all
>> episodes across all channels. If this is not what you want, don't chose
>> it.
>

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 12:05:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Margaret Wilson wrote:
> I'm not so sure about this, Tony. I created a theme channel to record
> "Autopsy," and even though I kept the old episodes on the RTV, it kept
> re-recording duplicates. The episode descriptions were identical, too. I
> finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I ended up deleting the theme channel.
>
> Regards,
>
> Margaret
>
There is no "first run" option on a theme channel Margaret. So I was
saying he was in error. He had a Replay channel and a Replay channel
won't record dupes. A Theme channel definitely will. The only options
for themes are for what to do when you reach the number of shows in the
allocation. It will either start deleting the oldest and replacing with
the newest (if space needed) or delete the oldest for a "new" episode
only. That is if the guide has it marked as "new".
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 12:21:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Danny Hobbs wrote:

> "Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:YISdncm0hdWta23fRVn-uQ@giganews.com...
>
>> > I agree, if you had a database of previously recorded shows you could
>>delete
>>
>>>one without fear of it being recorded again. What bugs me is I recorded a
>>>show, First Run Only, and after the show was over it recorded the same
>>>show being rebroadcast the next hour.
>>
>>Not possible. If a channel is marked "first run" it is a Replay channel
>>and will NOT record 2 eps back to back. You would need 2 Replay channels.
>>So it had to be a theme channel and by definition this records all
>>episodes across all channels. If this is not what you want, don't chose
>>it.
>
>
> It IS possible. I was in the channel guide and pressed the record buton to
> record the show. It recorded that show and the repeat right after it. I have
> set up recordings, although I may not have set them up "right", and have
> gotten the same episode recorded twice. I am still learning the software and
> procedures, so I am going to make mistakes. When the replay records the same
> episode, that is not my mistake.
>
>
It is NOT possible. If you set up a recurring Replay channel that says
record CSI Monday at 9pm, the Replay will look for the show 1 time
period before and 1 after the scheduled time to see if it has moved. If
it has moved it will record the 1st show. IT WILL NOT RECORD BOTH. Only
a Theme channel will record both (or 2 sep Replay channels) and Theme
channels DO NOT HAVE the "first run" option. If you just highlighted a
show in the guide and said "record THIS show", it would create a single
Replay channel (non-recurring) and it would tape that show and the
recurring Replay channel would record the second.

You are creating Theme channels when you WANT Replay channels. And theme
channels by def record ALL eps any time, any channel.

Most people have combinations of Replay channels and Theme channels and
you can also set theme priorities on theme channels to resolve
conflicts. You can also have 2 different theme channels depending on
howw you create them. If you do a manual find on "Law & Order" and then
say "create the Law & Order theme channel", it will record Law & Order,
Law & Order CI and Law & Order SVU. If you highlight "Law & Order" in
the guide and "find all eps" and then create a theme channel, ONLY Law &
Order will record.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:14:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
news:5ol2f1pansi2519td029h76hp9tftc3e39@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:32:04 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
> <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm not so sure about this, Tony. I created a theme channel to record
>>"Autopsy," and even though I kept the old episodes on the RTV, it kept
>>re-recording duplicates. The episode descriptions were identical, too. I
>>finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I ended up deleting the theme
>>channel.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Margaret
>>
>
> A lot of shows will come on multiple times a day. I've avoided a lot
> of duplicates by not watching right away .I have never seen a theme
> channel record duplicates (when the first is still on the Replay)
> unless it's a show without episode titles.
>
> Do your duplicate shows have episode titles (not just descriptions)?

I don't recall whether "Autopsy" had episode titles or not, and I've deleted
all the episodes, so I can't check. From what you say, I'm assuming the
shows had descriptions but not episode titles.

Regards,

Margaret
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:17:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Yeah, I realized that after I pressed "Send." Sorry.... :-) I know some
others here love their theme channels, but the duplicates drove me nuts. So
I've gone back to regular Replay channels.

Regards,

Margaret

"Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o _KdnQBiUJ92xmzfRVn-3w@giganews.com...
> Margaret Wilson wrote:
>> I'm not so sure about this, Tony. I created a theme channel to record
>> "Autopsy," and even though I kept the old episodes on the RTV, it kept
>> re-recording duplicates. The episode descriptions were identical, too.
>> I finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I ended up deleting the theme
>> channel.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Margaret
>>
> There is no "first run" option on a theme channel Margaret. So I was
> saying he was in error. He had a Replay channel and a Replay channel won't
> record dupes. A Theme channel definitely will. The only options for themes
> are for what to do when you reach the number of shows in the allocation.
> It will either start deleting the oldest and replacing with the newest (if
> space needed) or delete the oldest for a "new" episode only. That is if
> the guide has it marked as "new".
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 3:47:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:05:32 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Margaret Wilson wrote:
>> I'm not so sure about this, Tony. I created a theme channel to record
>> "Autopsy," and even though I kept the old episodes on the RTV, it kept
>> re-recording duplicates. The episode descriptions were identical, too. I
>> finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I ended up deleting the theme channel.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Margaret
>>
>There is no "first run" option on a theme channel Margaret. So I was
>saying he was in error. He had a Replay channel and a Replay channel
>won't record dupes. A Theme channel definitely will. The only options
>for themes are for what to do when you reach the number of shows in the
>allocation. It will either start deleting the oldest and replacing with
>the newest (if space needed) or delete the oldest for a "new" episode
>only. That is if the guide has it marked as "new".

A theme channel will NOT record a duplicate if:

1. The first instance of the show is still on the Replay.

2. The show has an episode title.

For multi-part shows, the part number is considered part of the
episode title. Additional parts are not skipped.

Shows without episode titles are considered potentially unique (there
may be more than one episode without a title).

The "first run" setting will not prevent most duplicates from being
recorded, since it just uses a flag in the guide and that flag is set
the same for each of the several showings. It's not a very useful
feature. Non-theme channels miss most duplicates because they're
inflexible (considering time and channel), not because of any "first
run" setting.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:21:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

If I am not mistaken one of the options for Theme channels is "First run
only" which avoids that problem

Margaret Wilson wrote:
> I'm not so sure about this, Tony. I created a theme channel to record
> "Autopsy," and even though I kept the old episodes on the RTV, it kept
> re-recording duplicates. The episode descriptions were identical, too. I
> finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I ended up deleting the theme channel.
>
> Regards,
>
> Margaret
>
> "Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:YISdncm0hdWta23fRVn-uQ@giganews.com...
>
>> > I agree, if you had a database of previously recorded shows you could
>>delete
>>
>>>one without fear of it being recorded again. What bugs me is I recorded a
>>>show, First Run Only, and after the show was over it recorded the same
>>>show being rebroadcast the next hour.
>>
>>Not possible. If a channel is marked "first run" it is a Replay channel
>>and will NOT record 2 eps back to back. You would need 2 Replay channels.
>>So it had to be a theme channel and by definition this records all
>>episodes across all channels. If this is not what you want, don't chose
>>it.
>
>
>

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:04:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

John in Detroit wrote:

> If I am not mistaken one of the options for Theme channels is "First run
> only" which avoids that problem
>

You're mistaken. There is no "first run" option in themes. The only
option in themes has to do with what to do when you reach the toal
number of shows you set up in the channel. The options are to delete the
oldest for each show it records or to delete the oldest only if the
show to be recorded is marked as "New". If you have not reached the
limit, it will record all eps, new or not.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 4:19:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 09:21:53 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>If I am not mistaken one of the options for Theme channels is "First run
>only" which avoids that problem
>

As I just said "first run only" will not keep duplicates from
recording.

>Margaret Wilson wrote:
>> I'm not so sure about this, Tony. I created a theme channel to record
>> "Autopsy," and even though I kept the old episodes on the RTV, it kept
>> re-recording duplicates. The episode descriptions were identical, too. I
>> finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I ended up deleting the theme channel.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Margaret
>>
>> "Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:YISdncm0hdWta23fRVn-uQ@giganews.com...
>>
>>> > I agree, if you had a database of previously recorded shows you could
>>>delete
>>>
>>>>one without fear of it being recorded again. What bugs me is I recorded a
>>>>show, First Run Only, and after the show was over it recorded the same
>>>>show being rebroadcast the next hour.
>>>
>>>Not possible. If a channel is marked "first run" it is a Replay channel
>>>and will NOT record 2 eps back to back. You would need 2 Replay channels.
>>>So it had to be a theme channel and by definition this records all
>>>episodes across all channels. If this is not what you want, don't chose
>>>it.
>>
>>
>>

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 1:11:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I figured that out but thanks anyway. Still, I do like Replay.

I had a show I'd planned on burning to DVD but alas, did not quite get
the old round tuit.

So, turns out they are rerunning (It's a mini-serries) and, guess what,
I forgot to delete the theme channel... So it looks like I'll do those
DVD's anyway

Tony D wrote:
> John in Detroit wrote:
>
>> If I am not mistaken one of the options for Theme channels is "First
>> run only" which avoids that problem
>>
>
> You're mistaken. There is no "first run" option in themes. The only
> option in themes has to do with what to do when you reach the toal
> number of shows you set up in the channel. The options are to delete the
> oldest for each show it records or to delete the oldest only if the
> show to be recorded is marked as "New". If you have not reached the
> limit, it will record all eps, new or not.

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
August 5, 2005 4:30:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

>
>> Maybe so, but you'd think they would at least fix the channels. I
>> like that it records random shows for me. But I hate that it keeps
>> recording the same one 3 or 4 times over a couple of week period.
>
>
> There is nothing to "fix". YOU chose a theme channel, which by
> definition records ALL instances of a show across ALL channels. If this
> is not what you want, don't select it.
>
>>

I disagree, by the way I really meant themes. As a programmer I know
Replay could keep a list of shows it's recorded and I've deleted for at
least a few months. My Themes are some of the built in ones, such as
movies now showing. So its pretty damn dumb to keep recording the same
show over and over. So I consider it bad programming.

I can't imagine anyone who would want the same Horror movie recording
over and over again (I also use their horror and sci fi themes). So it
is lazy and/or stupid programming. If they don't fix it, I wish would
give us the source and a way to update there damn program ourselves.

If they are willing to blow a gig for pictures, I'd like the option of
blowing another gig for keeping track of what I've already deleted for
some time period. Not just watched shows because sometimes I delete
stuff out of themes that I never watched and I don't want those recorded
either.

I still use the themes because I like surprises. But all the needless
redundancy really pisses me off.

Tony D. wrote:


>> I don't know who the hell wrote the logic for that. They should have
>> used a little hard disk space to store the last several hundred or
>> thousand shows that I watched and/or deleted in the channels. As a
>> programmer I take offense to the stupidity of of. Thats probably why
>> my friend who turned me on to replay told me nobody uses the channels.
>
>
> I suppose that this would cause an equal number of complaints like it
> does with Tivo people where a show is not recorded because Tivo "thinks"
> it was even though the recorded one was pre-empted or the guide was
> wrong or whatever.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:30:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

>
> I disagree, by the way I really meant themes. As a programmer I know
> Replay could keep a list of shows it's recorded and I've deleted for at
> least a few months. My Themes are some of the built in ones, such as
> movies now showing. So its pretty damn dumb to keep recording the same
> show over and over. So I consider it bad programming.

Those are "Zone channels", which are even broader than theme channels.
>
> I can't imagine anyone who would want the same Horror movie recording
> over and over again (I also use their horror and sci fi themes). So it
> is lazy and/or stupid programming. If they don't fix it, I wish would
> give us the source and a way to update there damn program ourselves.
>
>
Personally, I am not bothered in the least in having to spend a couple
of seconds deleting dupes. I find it infinitely preferrable to the Tivo
people bitching that a show was pre-empted or moved and the rebroadcast
was not recorded because it thought it was "previously recorded".
August 6, 2005 7:08:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Tony D wrote:
>>
>> I disagree, by the way I really meant themes. As a programmer I know
>> Replay could keep a list of shows it's recorded and I've deleted for
>> at least a few months. My Themes are some of the built in ones, such
>> as movies now showing. So its pretty damn dumb to keep recording the
>> same show over and over. So I consider it bad programming.
>
>
> Those are "Zone channels", which are even broader than theme channels.
>
>>
>> I can't imagine anyone who would want the same Horror movie recording
>> over and over again (I also use their horror and sci fi themes). So
>> it is lazy and/or stupid programming. If they don't fix it, I wish
>> would give us the source and a way to update there damn program
>> ourselves.
>>
>>
> Personally, I am not bothered in the least in having to spend a couple
> of seconds deleting dupes. I find it infinitely preferrable to the Tivo
> people bitching that a show was pre-empted or moved and the rebroadcast
> was not recorded because it thought it was "previously recorded".

Don't misunderstand. I don't want a Tivo. As I understand it the video
quality is much better with my Replay 5080 which I've had 3 years now.
I also love the automatic skipping of commercials, when it works right.
The deleting isn't the issue.

The issue is, it could have been recording something I would have
enjoyed. It's the 2 hours of wasted recording time that tics me off.
Even worse are the shows I never want to watch. I can forgive the first
recording. However, it should notice that I deleted the show. But for
it to keep pushing one movie over and over for a couple of weeks that
it's on HBO is ridiculous.

I like to see that red light on all the time. For my channels of shows
(such as Stargate Atlantis that I just watched), I'm very happy.

So I stand by my analysis that the programming of the zone channel or
whatever you call it was lazy and stupid. As I programmer I hate it
when programmers don't consider the experience of the user of their
software.

I also understand why my friend doesn't use zones. But I'm lazy and not
interested in checking the guide and programming in everything for it to
record. Besides I like surprises, just like I liked to be surprised
back when I channel surfed before I got the Replay.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 7:08:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

> Don't misunderstand. I don't want a Tivo. As I understand it the video
> quality is much better with my Replay 5080 which I've had 3 years now. I
> also love the automatic skipping of commercials, when it works right.
> The deleting isn't the issue.

I'm not misunderstanding. I'm just saying that you wished you had THIS
feature, some people who HAVE this feature wish they didn't.
>
> The issue is, it could have been recording something I would have
> enjoyed. It's the 2 hours of wasted recording time that tics me off.
> Even worse are the shows I never want to watch. I can forgive the first
> recording. However, it should notice that I deleted the show. But for
> it to keep pushing one movie over and over for a couple of weeks that
> it's on HBO is ridiculous.

I think the idea of the zones was not to set up shotgun recordings, but
to streamline searches and to set shows to record individually. I mean
you would say "record comedies", you'd look at the Comedy "zone" and say
"I want that, and that....and that" and set up Replay or theme channels
>
> So I stand by my analysis that the programming of the zone channel or
> whatever you call it was lazy and stupid. As I programmer I hate it
> when programmers don't consider the experience of the user of their
> software.
>
> I also understand why my friend doesn't use zones. But I'm lazy and not
> interested in checking the guide and programming in everything for it to
> record. Besides I like surprises, just like I liked to be surprised
> back when I channel surfed before I got the Replay.

I am never surprised. I record exactly what I want. 70+ percent of
Replay owners have more than 1. I have 6 networked. I never have any
conflicts. All machines have Replay channels and theme channels. I'll
set up Replay channels for the network recurring shows and premiere day
eps on cable channels. Theme channels get past shows or other seasons I
might not have seen. If a series starts which interests me by
description or cast I'll record it even and not get to watch it until
the repeat season. At lunch, I'll log in to my home system and through
DVArchive check for conflicts and set up recordings for anything that
might of showed up which interests me. I haven't watched a live show in
months/years.
!