Sign in with
Your question

New System fails and windows won't boot!

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2010 4:12:58 PM

system spec: 750i sli mother board, phenom x4 3.ghz, 9800gt sli, 650 wat psu, 4gb ddr3 ram, 500gbhard drive.

Probelm: After building my system, i was playing crysis for about 30mins, and it crashed.( i believe because windows was trying to do an update at the same time). So I shut my computer off, and turned it back on. I accidently booted up my vista 32bit instead of windows 7 64bit and it got locked at the windows logo so i rebooted it again and tried to load windows 7. I couldn't boot windows, it just kept looping back to my bios reloading... i would hear a beep, screen goes blank, and then bios loaded and it sent me back to boot windows normally or run repair. When i run repair i get various bsod such as irql no equal and two other ones.

I removed my harddrive all together and tried boot from cd...i see the windows logo loading and then crash blue screen. With harddrive in If i boot in safe mode...crash blue screen. if i boot normal i get a looped back to bios. If i try memory diagnostic it usually gets locked at 6% or 15% and freezes.

All bios features seem to be fine, it reconizes both GPU on start, but i just can't load windows! I don't get why i can't even boot it from a CD, i guess it's a hardware problem but what??? computer was running fine until crysis and the accidental vista boot
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2010 4:23:38 PM

We need the exact models for the specs. It doesn't help to know that you have a 750 board or a 650W PSU. We need to know the manufacturer.

First, go through the "Read before posting about boot problems" sticky. Do EVERY SINGLE step. Don't skip any step because you think you have it covered. EVERY step has a purpose. After performing EVERY step in that sticky, come back with any changes. Then continue with the below.

BSOD typically mean bad RAM. Try running MemTest86+ overnight to test the RAM. Of course, first you need to check that the RAM is set to the manufacturer's specifications in BIOS.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2010 4:27:47 PM

Yup, MadAdmiral's last sentence is very important. You need to manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the correct values in the BIOS. The RAM will have a sticker on it that lists the correct values. We could also look it up for you if you give us the exact model number of the RAM.
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2010 5:49:51 PM

adata gaming series ddr3-1600g
cl 9-9-9-24
voltage 1.65-1.85

WHy would this be the problem if the system was working at one point?

m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2010 5:54:38 PM

Because you were stressing the system, which caused a problem to surface. Once that problem appeared, it could have easily caused another.

The real question is what are the sticks set to in BIOS.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2010 5:58:07 PM

MadAdmiral is right again. The type of problems you describe are very often caused by either faulty RAM or incorrect RAM settings in the BIOS. Like MadAdmiral said, the values you listed are what the RAM is SUPPOSED to run at. You need to manually set those values in the BIOS if you actually want them to run at those values and be stable.
m
l
February 18, 2010 6:05:49 PM

I believe it's all set to auto.

Updates: memory diagnostic tool blue screens at 15% no writing, sometimes i get a white screen as well.

Right now I'm seating my ram in different slots, no change so far. downloading memtest86
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2010 6:11:31 PM

Are you just guessing at what RAM slots you're supposed to use? Using the wrong slots will also cause problems. You need to verify in the motherboard owners manual that you are using the correct slots.

Your RAM is not likely to be stable when using "Auto" settings. The standard DDR3 voltage is 1.5v. The motherboard will not give the RAM enough voltage until you manually set the values as MadAdmiral and myself have advised you to do. You can only hope all these crashes haven't corrupted your OS installation now.
m
l
February 18, 2010 6:14:38 PM

I'm not worried about os at all. I Kno which slots i'm supposed to seat ram in however i'm trying other spots too see if i can get any response. I'll try and set the ram in bios as suggested but i'm not really sure how to do this.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2010 6:21:08 PM

Once again, the motherboard owners manual is worth its weight in gold. It will describe how to change the values.
m
l
February 18, 2010 6:21:38 PM

Increased voltage to 1.85 no change

I get a yellow screen after 15% memory diagnostic
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2010 6:25:06 PM

What about the speed and timings? Did you try each stick of RAM by itself in the first RAM slot?

All the things we're asking you to do are in the checklist MadAdmiral wanted you to go through from the very beginning. Like he said, you have to actually perform EVERY step in order to effectively troubleshoot the problem.
m
l
February 18, 2010 6:39:41 PM

I know what caused the problem now but I don't know how to find out what all is damaged. The board was installed without the mounting screws that prevent the mother board from touching the case.

GPU are fine
RAM idk
CPU seems to be fine
so i'm guessing my ram sticks are fried or the slots are messed up(the bios reconizes the ram tho...)
m
l
!