Incorrect display of disk space usage in windows explorer

kush1543

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
On my windows 7(x86) pc the following info is shown regarding disk space usage on drive c:
2ilmw4j.jpg

whereas on tuneup disk space explorer free space is shown below
2agkg2w.jpg

Tuneup explorer is showing the correct usage. Please help me correct this issue...

kush1543

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
No the actual space occupied in c: is much less than that shown in the first pic. I have windows installed in this drive with some basic programs that's why i feel tuneup explorer is showing correct info...

kush1543

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hibernation is disabled and pagefile.sys is about 468mb...why i feel tuneup is correct is because i have checked manually also the disk space usage should come out to be about 15-16gb

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
And may I state again that TuneUp may have fracked up Windows Explorer. That is why I asked you to uninstall it, to see if that fixes what Windows Explorer is reporting.

Some of the utilities interfere in bad ways with existing Windows tools, breaking some on the way.

Did your Windows install report it correctly in the past? Did it start reporting it wrong AFTER you installed TuneUp?

kush1543

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Well this is not the first time this is happening, i go through this frequently. I usually format c: drive to resolve this but this is not the solution to this problem and yes this happens with or without tuneup utilities...

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Weird... it has never happened to me, on any of my machines, running a mixture of WinXP, and W7.

2 things I would check at this stage:

1) Have you enabled compression on the drive? If you right click on the drive and select properties? What does it show? (attach a screenshot if you can)

2) Check for viruses

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

You are wrong about this graph, or at least what bit shows in the graph.

The graph shows the size distribution of the used space, not out of 35GB. If that was the case, there would be a bit for FREE SPACE on the pie chart. If you add those numbers on the right, they make 100%, not 18GB/35GB which would be about 50%.

kush1543

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I recently tried to enable compression but that landed me into another trouble. I scanned my pc with kaspersky internet security so i doubt there are any viruses but a virus could have modified my system which i am unable to figure out...

WIZZs

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
If analyzed my drive with Free Disk Analyzer (http://www.extensoft.com/?p=downloads).
It turned out that the were a lot of files in the following folder.
c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\
Somehow these files weren't seen by Total Commander.

I cleaned the whole folder. And rebooted my computer. After that disk space for my drive was correct again.

mariake1013

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Sorry for dragging up this old thread but I've been having the same problem. Did you end up finding a solution kush1543?

The free space on my c drive keeps going down even though I've deleted several gb worth of software and files. This has been going on for a couple of months. According to windows I only have 255mb free space (2 weeks ago it was 4gb and I haven't installed anything new since then). Yet, according to TuneUp Disk space explorer, I should have about 60gb of free space.

ScreenShot062.jpg

ScreenShot061.jpg

Right now, besides Windows, the only things left on my c drive are a few basic softwares like Photoshop and one 6gb game.

I've checked for viruses, spyware and malware. Also, Hibernation is disabled.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.