Is it worth OCing my i5-2500K over 4500mhz

pattamus

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
I have a day-to-day OC of my i5-2500K@4.5ghz. I don't use the speed-step because for some reason it gave me problems (can't remember), so it sits at 4500mhz, idles around 36-38c. I have gotten it up to 4.8ghz, but I didn't like the extra voltage and heat, so I lowered it figuring it enough for my GTX 580 3gb. However, I have just ordered a GTX 680 4gb, so I'm wondering if it's worth pushing it a little more? It's the classified edition 680, and I plan to OC that to 1200mhz if that makes any difference.

What I am asking is how much (if any) gaming performance would I see from say 4.5ghz to 4.8ghz. I play a lot of demanding games, including skyrim and lots of mods, and that game is CPU demanding. I also want to future proof. I don't like to re-boot to OC just to play a game, so what I am looking for is a compromising day-to-day OC. 4500mhz right now is perfect for me. I did have to put a little voltage on it of course, and I could do more, but do the benefits outweigh the cost?

I'm probably going to upgrade to whatever is after Ivy anyway, but I don't want to run this thing hot. Water-cooling is not an option until I get a full-case.

I'm sure OCing a bit more would improve maybe benchmarking scores, but I'm talking real world gaming, and about 2 years in the future.

I appreciate your time and opinions. Thanks.

Solution
G
I have just had this question answered for myself also, do what these guys suggest and keep the voltage as low as you can whilst running stable @ 4.5ghz, everybody I have come across on these forums has said you will NOT notice a difference above that.

I was running 1.4v @ 4.9 ghz and from the advice I was given I have now dropped to 1.26v @ 4.7 ghz. Find your sweet spot :)
G

I have just had this question answered for myself also, do what these guys suggest and keep the voltage as low as you can whilst running stable @ 4.5ghz, everybody I have come across on these forums has said you will NOT notice a difference above that.

I was running 1.4v @ 4.9 ghz and from the advice I was given I have now dropped to 1.26v @ 4.7 ghz. Find your sweet spot :)

Solution

pattamus

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
I decided to go ahead and turn speed-step back on after reading more about it, and giving it another shot. This way I can OC to 4.7ghz on not much more voltage than I had it with 4.5, but it won't always be at 4.7, so overall it will be much less voltage and heat than even my full-time 4.5ghz. I think that is a decent compromise, there are no heat issues.

Thanks for the replies, I don't really know who to pick for best answer, I think I'm going to pick Eli as he is newer, and also said to find a compromise or "sweet spot", and that seems to be close to what I was asking, even though I intend to do something a bit different.