Sign in with
Your question

Strange issue overclocking my i5 2500k

Last response: in Overclocking
November 28, 2012 9:02:07 PM

Hello, So today I had an issue with my PC that required me to clear my cmos. This in turn removed my 4.5ghz overclock on my i5 2500k. After getting everything worked out I decided to go back to set my overclock back to 4.5ghz I followed the steps exactly that I read in the guide here and in a video for my motherboard(MSI Z68 GD55) but now when I boot into windows CPU-Z shows my CPU at 3.3ghz no more no less. Before I cleared my cmos it would idle at 1.6ghz and turbo boost to 4.5ghz during Prime95 stress test or in any game I played. Anyone have a clue as to why it won't overclock anymore? O.o
November 28, 2012 9:04:55 PM

scubasteve526 said:
Hello, So today I had an issue with my PC that required me to clear my cmos. This in turn removed my 4.5ghz overclock on my i5 2500k. After getting everything worked out I decided to go back to set my overclock back to 4.5ghz I followed the steps exactly that I read in the guide here and in a video for my motherboard(MSI Z68 GD55) but now when I boot into windows CPU-Z shows my CPU at 3.3ghz no more no less. Before I cleared my cmos it would idle at 1.6ghz and turbo boost to 4.5ghz during Prime95 stress test or in any game I played. Anyone have a clue as to why it won't overclock anymore? O.o

I also want to mention that when I cleared my cmos I had my gtx680 removed and was using the on board video in my 2500k. Could that have caused an issue?
!