jplumansoc

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Hey guys I have a Core i7-860 on a ASUS P7P55D Deluxe with 16GB's of DDR3-1333 memory. All of a sudden the computer wouldn't boot up anymore, the LED indicator pointed to the memory so I pulled out all the ram and it seems that slots 1 and 3 have died while 2 and 4 are still working. I emailed ASUS support and they say that its the memory controller inside of the CPU that could be the problem. I've tested all the ram as well as my wife's ram inside so I can say that it isn't the RAM modules.

So this is what I'm wondering...

Can the memory controller on the Intel Core i7-860 be "partially broken"?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
There may be several possibilities:

RAM slots may be faulty.

If you increased the DRAM voltages higher than the treshold of i7-860 in order to be able to run 16 GB, you may have damaged cpu and /or contact points of cpu legs.

You might have installed cpu improperly. You should remove and re-install the cpu carefully. If some of the legs of cpu have been damaged during installation or have not been seated properly, that might have caused the issue you are experiencing now.

jplumansoc

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
@ saint19, i tested each of them separately and only 2 and 4 are working.

@suat, I think the RAM slots are faulty as well. THE cpu is fine, i checked it. It's been working for about a year now, it just randomly died.

@trueper. PSU is fine. I tested it in my wife's computer and everything was within 3ish percent according to PC Probe.