Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP from USB HDD Partition

Last response: in Windows XP
October 11, 2012 7:45:34 PM

Hello!

First of all, sorry if I don't write properly. I'm from Argentina.

Here is the thing.

I need to be able to install Windows XP Professional SP3 (Official Spanish version) from an external USB HDD (1 TB Lacie Quadra D2).

On the drive I have actually 3 partitions:

1° Partition: Software
2° Partition: Customer's Backups
3° Partition: Here would go the bootable Win XP.

I sincerely can't find any forum where they explain it, not even here. Perhaps i'm been a little ineffective when i'm searching.

Could anyone help me please??

Thank you in advance!
October 11, 2012 7:52:23 PM

WyomingKnott said:
This process, which describes how to do it with a thumb drive, will probably apply: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50282-34-tutorial-ins... .

I'm not sure if making the drive bootable will wipe out the two partitions that you already have. So be very, very sure that you have backups before proceeding.

The thing es that i already tried to do so, but the program tries to format the HDD and i have like 600 Gb of Software i don't wanna lose and don't have anywhere to put it...
Related resources
October 11, 2012 7:54:11 PM

Well, that's the tradeoff. Can you go out and buy a 4 GB thumb drive, then do your install from that instead? Or copy your 600 Gb of data to a friend's computer, triple-check the copies, format the drive, and copy them back?
October 11, 2012 7:58:04 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Well, that's the tradeoff. Can you go out and buy a 4 GB thumb drive, then do your install from that instead? Or copy your 600 Gb of data to a friend's computer, triple-check the copies, format the drive, and copy them back?

Thank you!

I know, i'll go out there and buy a few pen drives to install OSs from there... it's just that today i'm sooooooooooooo lazy! hahaha

thanks again!
October 11, 2012 8:01:02 PM

If you are feeling ambitious, you can build a thumb drive that can multi-boot into the Windows install, or into Parted Magic, or into your favorite backup utility, or Linux, or anything. I've got a 4 GB drive (a slow one) that boots six different environments. But you would have to do it tomorrow, if you are feeling lazy today.

Yumi is simple, boots some environments directly, and others from a .ISO file. Not to hard to do, and it works. If you are interested, look at http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator...
!