Windows 7, 2 min, 15 sec boot times with Seagate 7200rpm HDD

Metals

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Hi everyone, the title says it all. I have an 80GB seagate 7200rpm Hard disk that has windows 7 service pack 1 installed on it. It takes 2 minutes 15 seconds from a cold boot, to open firefox (yup, stopwatched it). I've looked around and have been told 1 minute, 30 seconds is the usual time it should take to reach firefox from a cold boot. I have an ancient satellite l300 laptop that takes around 1 minute, 45 seconds to open firefox from a cold boot and THIS is what pisses me off so much. If my laptop can do it, why can't my bulky desktop give me at least the same boot times on better hardware? My desktop specs are:

Mobo: Gigabyte 790 fxta ud5
Processor: AMD Phenom II x 4 965 BE (not overclocked yet)
3d card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB
RAM:4GB Kingston DDR3 1333Mhz
Storage: Seagate 80GB (ST380215AS), and a 1TB 7200rpm Hitachi deskstar.
CD/DVD drive: NONE

I think that's all the relevant stuff? If I missed something kindly let me know.

What I wish to know here is WHY my desktop is so frigging slow. I'll be getting an SSD (Samsung 830 60GB) in about a month, but I can't live with these boot times for another month!

I've attached an HD Tune read test, if that helps in any way.

P.S Both computers are running the same build of windows 7 and yes I've tried reinstalling windows (didn't work)

P.P.S Sorry for any grammatical mistakes I might've made.

P.P.P.S Sorry if this isn't in the right section.

P.P.P.P.S Sorry for all the P.S's :)

Metals

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
The disk is set in AHCI mode.

Thanks for the link, I'll read up now. Also, it's not just the boot time that's bothering me, the system just isn't as responsive as my laptop (startling) with a 5400rpm hard disk is.

Metals

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Thanks for the link, much appreciated :) Though I've already stumbled across that guide once and applied the tweaks it suggested. I'm totally stumped as to what the problem could be.