Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HTPC

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2010 6:16:05 PM

I plan on building a HTPC for my father and need to know what I will need for it. I have built a few pc's before but never a HTPC. I know many of the components are the same like cpu memory ect but I'm not exactly sure what all I will need to build one for him. If this is the wrong forum to ask this question please point me to the correct one. Thanks

More about : htpc

February 18, 2010 6:21:50 PM

An HTPC is the same as a regular PC. You don't need a whole lot of special parts. A large HDD is usually preferred, as is a efficient PSU and GPU (if needed). A BluRay reader is also a typical choice. A media center case is also an option, but I'm not fond of recommending them.

What's your budget? Will he use the PC for anything else? If you follow the guidelines from the link in my signature, we can point you to the exact parts you'll need.
February 18, 2010 6:33:14 PM

+1 MadAdmiral

depends on what you want it to do, if all you want it to do is play dvd's and BD's that is rather cheap and easy

you want DVR capabilities for cable channels, not that is a little harder to come by (CableCARD tuner)

also don't forget you don't need a lot of cpu and gpu horsepower to play movies, an integrated solution could probably fit your needs, or if you want a little more oomph you can go low end discrete
Related resources
February 18, 2010 6:34:59 PM

Dont really have a budget atm I'm just trying to get a good Idea of what I will need to build one and what's involved. He will be using it on a big screen TV so I know it will need some decent GPU power, gaming he has a computer for that, just some net surfing and watching movies is mainly what he will be doing. Im heading over to that link you suggested. Thanks for the quick reply MadAdmiral.
February 18, 2010 6:42:20 PM

The resolution is all that matters. And nowdays, integrated graphics (specifically the i3/H55 builds) are enough to have full 1080p playback.

Best solution

February 18, 2010 6:48:34 PM

Came back with a cheap, quick HTPC build:

CPU/Mobo: i3-530 and Asus P7H55-M Pro $215
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $90
PSU: Corsair 450W $55 after rebate
Case: Antec 200 $40
Optical: Cheapest SATA DVD burner $25

Total: $645. If you need a BR reader, tack on $70ish for a reader. If you need to record over the air TV, tack on $100 for a TV tuner.
February 18, 2010 6:49:40 PM

Ok thanks. I'm thinkin this will make him a rather nice Christmas present this year. :-) Now that I have a better Idea of what's needed, I think I'll wander over to newegg and get an idea of what it's going to cost me. Thanks for the help people.
February 18, 2010 6:50:34 PM

ok I'm a lil slow here. lol Thanks for the prices MadAdmiral.
February 18, 2010 6:50:48 PM

Best answer selected by beoza.
!