Slim case power supply

lotusmaster

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Hey I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card for my slim case dell. From what I hear I'll need a new power supply as well as one that will fit my slim case. After looking around I found out the highest I may be able to get is 300w or something. I'm wondering if anyone knows of something higher or a good graphics card that can run on that much power.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Well is the power supply that you need to get a proprietary dell pinout? What's the wattage of the one you have? what's the CPU in order to be able to power a better card? Is the powersupply really just regular ATX in which case you could buy anything? That means that you'd have to buy a slim card, prolly the 5570. (IIRC)

lotusmaster

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Yeah I was pointed toward this card when I was searching around. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187061.
My computer right now puts out 200w and I doubt that is enough.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Thing is, you answered none of my questions, and without any of that information nobody can tell you what could be safely done without making your motherboard potentially sizzle a firey death. Not to be overly dramatic or anything, but DELL specifically has put out all kinds of non-standard stuff, and there's no way for any of us to just know what it is. And to make it worse, some of their non-standard power supplies are pin/plug compatible with the standard so if you accidentally mix a normal power supply and a proprietary motherboard (or vice versa) you could totally fry both.

If we knew that it was standard at the very least we could then use info about the CPU and whatnot to pick a matching video card, and since it's a slim case just tell you to buy a normal sized case. (if indeed a slim version was just too expensive or whatever)

lotusmaster

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Here's the info from my system informations. Is there anything you need to know? I'm sorry I'm giving such a hard time.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SHURIKENG-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 545s
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz, 2600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A11, 9/7/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name ShurikenG-PC\ShurikenG
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.45 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.98 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.29 GB
Page File Space 3.99 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
After some googling supposedly this uses a TFX power supply.

So you'll want this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151090

and a slim graphics card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161324
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102874

This should pretty much max that computer out.

The only thing is that graphics card says that it would prefer a 400 watt or greater power supply, so this high quality 300 watt one should pull it off anyway. Let me know what happens.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Just to let you know, a higher quality power supply can often handle more than a lower quality one that has a higher number on the side. This can be from things like that number being peak power not continuous or having more amps on the lines that don't need it. So personally I'd go for the seasonic anyway.

In fact, I just used a PSU calculator and put in what I'm guessing to be in that and it came up with that 300 watt as being fine.