Sign in with
Your question

New mother board, old dvd cdrom

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2010 8:28:53 PM

Hi,
I am trying to rebuild my system using a mix of old and new. This is I what have:

CM STORM SNIPER CASE
T-SERIES ATX MICRO T FORCE 6100 AM2
E-GFORCE 7300GS
4 DDR2 256MB
WESTERN DIGITAL 320GB CAVIAR SATA
PSU 600 WATT
HP SUPER MULTI DVD WRITER MODEL dvd1040

I am wondering if the dvd writer will work with the other hardware.
When I hook it all up it says:
BOOT FROM CD:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSTERT SYSTEM DISK

I tried placing the Windows XP disk in the cdrom drive. The light on the cd rom comes on like it is trying to find the disk, but it does not work. Have dvdrom been updated to where I would need to buy an newer version to work with the rest of my hardware?

Thank you so much for your help!
Rebecca

More about : mother board dvd cdrom

February 18, 2010 8:32:50 PM

Is the DVD burner SATA or IDE? I'm going to assume IDE. The old drive should work just fine. If it's IDE, you need to ensure the drive is set up as the "Master" drive. You also need to make sure it's set up as the first boot device in the BIOS.
m
l
February 18, 2010 10:50:27 PM

It is set as the boot first device and it is IDE, i put the pin on the back of it to "master" and it still says the same thing, does it make a difference if the hard drive is sata?

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2010 10:53:46 PM

Have you tried the "cable select" pin setting? Sorry, it's been a while since I dealt with IDE devices. If I remember correctly, you also have to use the right cable connection when using the "master" setting. I believe the master is supposed to be in the middle and the "slave" is on the end cable connection. I'm not sure if that makes any sense. :( 
m
l
February 18, 2010 11:03:57 PM

Lol, it was at first put at cable select and it's on the right pin on the mobo but it's not the disk because it worked when i put it in another commputer
m
l
February 19, 2010 12:00:37 AM

plextor and pioneer both have firmware updates at their site ... I just redid my ol' plextor ... took a minute. might help. maybe. won't hurt.

You would have to do on other sys ... 'course.

= Al =
m
l
February 19, 2010 12:09:42 AM

I've had the "Boot Disk" error before and has to select the drive in the boot sequence screen (F8... I believe) versus selecting in BIOS. Once I selected the actual drive name (not genric drive name) in the boot sequence, the OS loaded just fine from that point.
m
l
February 19, 2010 1:36:02 AM

Okay, I figured it out FINALLY!!! My SATA HD was the master and my dvd rom was set as master on the IDE cable and on the little pin on the back of the dvd rom. I changed the pin to slave and plugged the IDE cable into the slave IDE and it WORKED!!!!! HOORAY!!! okay, I am done. Thank you all for your help and quick responses. You stopped me from kicking the crud out of my brand new case!!!
m
l
February 19, 2010 1:47:25 AM

LOL! I'm glad you didn't take it out on your case. Nice job. :) 
m
l
!