Sign in with
Your question

Moving HDD to new system.

Last response: in Storage
February 27, 2012 10:50:42 AM

I'm building a new system. My harddrive will be coming from a pre-built Gateway purchased from Best Buy. My question is as follows:

When I bought the prebuilt, it did not come with a Windows install disc. Windows 7 is partitioned on the harddrive for reinstallation. When I connect the harddrive to all the new components, will I be able to use the ability to reinstall Windows the same way, or will I need to purchase a new copy? I realize the CURRENT installation I won't work with a new motherboard, but I'm hoping I can at least use the partitioned recovery function or whatever it is to reinstall fresh. Is this possible?

More about : moving hdd system

a c 371 G Storage
February 27, 2012 10:59:46 AM

No, the recovery partition will set everything back to factory with drivers for your old hardware. Also, that gateway has an OEM copy of windows which is tied to the original motherboard.

Purchase another OEM copy for the new build. If you are a student, you can probably get a cheap (student discount) copy of windows through your school.
m
l
February 27, 2012 5:49:42 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
No, the recovery partition will set everything back to factory with drivers for your old hardware. Also, that gateway has an OEM copy of windows which is tied to the original motherboard.

Purchase another OEM copy for the new build. If you are a student, you can probably get a cheap (student discount) copy of windows through your school.

A computer guy at Best Buy told me that it was possible that the harddrive hadn't tattoo'd to the motherboard because it's a Gateway system. Is that possible?
m
l
Related resources
a c 353 G Storage
February 27, 2012 5:58:36 PM

Gateway Installation disk is a OEM tied to that gateway, legally the only way you could use it would be if the Original MB died.
If the Gateway MB died, then it becomes a matter of if the installation disk looks for a Gateway MB and/or tries to install the old MB drivers. If it is a generic OEM copy, and the Gateway MB died you should be home free.

If Not as the Old saying goes " Tuff cookie, but the Milk ain't sweet". and you will need a new copy via store bought or thru school. (Cookie replaces the word that I can not use as it refers to part of the female anatomy- LOL)
m
l
February 27, 2012 6:09:06 PM

So, in other words, I might luck out and it may prompt me for a fresh install, or I may end up having to buy one. Just a matter of if it's a generic OEM?
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
February 27, 2012 6:17:53 PM

You forgot to mention if the orginal gateway MB died.
If it is a "generic window 7" installation disk and does allow you to do the windows instalation, you may also get a message requireing you to call MS to activate it.
m
l
February 27, 2012 6:19:02 PM

It's almost certainly an OEM version. When you try to register it you will prompted to call MS support, and if they don't like your story you will have to buy a new copy.

As already mentioned it's tied to that board. Since it's a fairly new system you will likely be told that you need a Gateway replacement board.
m
l
a c 371 G Storage
February 27, 2012 6:19:32 PM

It won't ask for a fresh install. It will do what you tell it. However when you try to boot it will most likely BSOD since it will have the wrong motherboard drivers pre-installed.
m
l
February 27, 2012 6:21:31 PM

There might be another way.
Create a Recovery disk, and a backup disk set. (both for security)

Best way... use a new hard drive, use your recovery disk, follow the instructions.
This will create an exact copy of your OS on the new PC, it might have some annoying
splash screen at boot (yours might say Gateway)

But it will allow you to install the proper drivers etc...

Your best option is of course to buy an OEM copy.
m
l
February 27, 2012 7:33:53 PM

So, even though the recovery is on the partition? I figured I'd just be able to reinstall from the HDD, since I don't have a disc. I guess I'm just confused (very new to this).
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
February 27, 2012 8:35:19 PM

Do you have the "Key" And again is the Gateway MB dead.
If dead, and you have the Key:
Use any windows Installation disk - barrow one
Install (Do NOT enter ANY key when prompted.
When installation is completed.
Then enter Key and activate - If you get message to Call MS, do so and exsplain.
They will either say Yes, In which case your good, or NO which means BUYING a copy.

AGAIN this is ONLY legal if old MB died!!!!

NOTE: If you get an Upgrade version of Windows you will have to do a Clean install (Selecting Custom install) followed by a registry edit and sending a cmd from the dos prompt.
m
l
!