Sign in with
Your question

PSU power?

Last response: in Components
April 26, 2010 4:38:00 PM

How strong of a power supply should I get?

My system is:
Mobo: MSI 770 G-45
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 965 black edition
Cooling: Corsair Liquid cooling
DVD: Samsung DVD+CD R/W w/lightscribe
GPU: HIS Radeon 5750
RAM: 2x 2GB GSkill Ripjaws
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W

I have reason to believe my PSU is starting to fail me, so I am replacing it.
Was 650w not enough, too much? Or was it just bad luck?

More about : psu power

April 26, 2010 5:45:02 PM

Yeah I am working on that.
Would a 450W power supply be sufficient to test the theory of that being the problem?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
April 27, 2010 5:18:46 PM

Torrasque said:
Yeah I am working on that.
Would a 450W power supply be sufficient to test the theory of that being the problem?

Hi Torrasque,

According to HIS, you should have at least a 450W PSU which should be enough to power your system.

I would personally RMA the Antec EarthWatts EA650 650w PSU if it is still under warranty. We have an advance placement service in which we place a hold on your credit card and mail you the PSU right away and once we have received your defective PSU we will then release the hold on your credit card. That way you would get your replacement PSU as fast as possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Antec

m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 27, 2010 5:45:05 PM

What reason do you have to believe your PSU is starting to fail?
m
l
April 27, 2010 9:29:03 PM

antec_rep said:
Hi Torrasque,

According to HIS, you should have at least a 450W PSU which should be enough to power your system.

I would personally RMA the Antec EarthWatts EA650 650w PSU if it is still under warranty. We have an advance placement service in which we place a hold on your credit card and mail you the PSU right away and once we have received your defective PSU we will then release the hold on your credit card. That way you would get your replacement PSU as fast as possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Antec

Yes, I do. I got my PSU about 2 months ago, so it should still be under warranty, right? I wrote an RMA request to antec via the site, but have yet to get a response, I assume they are just going through stuff and will get to mine when they get to it.

To jsc: I replaced the PSU with a Corsair 650TX power supply and it seems to be working fine. I plan on returning the corsair PSU when I get the new antec PSU.
on another note:
I also have a brand new 1TB WD Caviar Black that, when plugged in, makes my computer BSOD, regardless of which HD it boots from. Prolly ought to return it eh? It has personal info on it, in fact, I have all of my personal info backed up on it. So it's prolly gone for good now, right?
m
l
!