ScottBu

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
My system just started reporting that the CPU core temp is always zero. Setup:

Intel DP67BG
I7-2600K

I ran the Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility (XTU) and slightly overclocked the system weeks ago. Everything was working fine until yesterday. Now the Intel Desktop Utility and XTU report the CPU at 0 degrees. Checked the BIOS on startup - it also shows CPU at 0.

Since the BIOS doesn't see the correct CPU temp, it doesn't spin up the fans. I use some very compute intensive graphics software (CPU at 100% for several minutes) so I need the extra cooling.

Any ideas? Reload the BIOS? Hardware problem on the MB?

ScottBu

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions. I updated the BIOS to the latest version - no change. The MB still thinks the CPU temp is zero.

Other suggestions... reseat the processor?

ScottBu

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Update... CPUID's HW Monitor Pro sees all 4 core temps and the package temp. So it appears the CPU is correctly reporting, but the MB isn't picking it up. Curiouser and curiouser...

Is the fan control thru the system management bus? You might want to check you have the correct driver. Intel,amd,Microsoft or your motherboards driver installed? If the thermocouple is fried you might be able to power the fan at full speed.does the hardware monitor in the bios work?
If the zero is the CPU hotproc signal it indicate a temp of 100 degrees
And will throttle the CPU to keep form a meltdown. Hotproc is a delta between the current temp and 100 degrees C. Should be a negative number most of the time

Is your fan dead?

ScottBu

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Not sure if fan control is through the SMB. It was working fine when the BIOS saw the correct CPU temp. The MB is only 2 weeks old. Drivers were installed from the Intel CD. It's interesting that CPU temp is the only thing that is not reporting correctly. Memory, PCH, VR temps are all correct. CPU voltages report correctly. And as I mentioned, CPUID's hardware monitor correctly shows all 4 core temps and CPU package temp.

I can set the minimum CPU fan speed higher in the BIOS as a stopgap.

Intel chat suggested I do a BIOS reset and recovery. Guess I'll try that tomorrow.