6Gb/s still rating 5.9 in windows performance test

trueper

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hi Guys

I bought the Asus P7P55DE-PRO board with support for 6Gb/s Sata Drives. I rigged up the 6Gb/s drive and installed Windows 7 Pro 64Bit. After installing all the std cd drivers I ran a performance test in windows and the drive still rated as 5.9 the same as a normal 3gb/s sata drive. What could be the reason for this? Do I need to update the Marvell drivers for the controller? Or can windows not rate more than 5.9 for hard drive speed?
Stew

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

Usually, hard drives don't score more that 5.9 in WEI.

In either case a 6Gbps hard drive will have the same speed either in a 3Gbps or 6Gbps SATA port as this speed corresponds to the theoretical max speed between the hard disk and the motherboard.

Currently no hard drive exists that can exceed of the speed of the 3Gbps SATA port. Only solid state drives.

So all in all by changing from 3Gbps to 6Gbps you get no speed gains... Maybe at most some very minor between hard drive cache and system...

Therefore, no need to update the controller's driver...

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
You may have to set SATA drive in AHCI mode in BIOS, if it is set in IDE mode, though I am not sure if this increases your SATA output.

Beware, if SATA drive is currently in IDE mode, you cannot change directly to AHCI mode. Otherwise, you render your computer unbootable. You have to make modification in registry first, then restart and get into BIOS before Windows loads and change SATA mode from IDE ( or compatibility ) to AHCI.
( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 )