Sign in with
Your question

I5 max OC

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2012 5:27:48 AM

Right, one of my friends was building a PC and he'd got an i5 2500k for £90 because it was 'old stock' (or something like that), anyway he's somehow got it to 5.5Ghz at stock volts on air. Temps aren't too crazy either, 80C after 30mins prime 95.

Is this possible? He has screenshots and say's he'll get a video of it but I thought 5.5Ghz was definitely watercooling territory.

More about : max

a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
November 29, 2012 6:16:35 AM

I don't believe the stock volts part. That would be a chip worth its weight in gold (or even a lot more than that). Possibly even the best 2500K to have ever existed.

Not likely.

I suppose, given absolutely perfect circumstances (ones that almost never happen in this universe), 5.5 could be done with a top end air cooler, but this is something that I would never believe without actually being there in person to see it.
a c 223 à CPUs
a c 135 K Overclocking
November 29, 2012 9:13:23 AM

Robi_g said:
Right, one of my friends was building a PC and he'd got an i5 2500k for £90 because it was 'old stock' (or something like that), anyway he's somehow got it to 5.5Ghz at stock volts on air. Temps aren't too crazy either, 80C after 30mins prime 95.

Is this possible? He has screenshots and say's he'll get a video of it but I thought 5.5Ghz was definitely watercooling territory.

I agree with DJDeCiBeL. Its possible on air. Maybe a Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E cooler, I have seen 2500K reaching 5.5 on those coolers. But on stock voltage? No way in hell... I am pretty sure he has no stability. 80C is possible with Silver Arrow SB-E at that stock though. But would need considerably more than stock voltage.

Post a CPU-Z screenshot and we can take a look. Pretty sure he is lying or does not understand what he is doing though...
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2012 9:29:05 AM

all four cores?
November 29, 2012 10:07:37 AM

Pics or it didn't happen.
That voltage is ridiculous.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2012 10:45:01 AM

I bet it crashes the second the cpu starts working on something.
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2012 4:43:59 PM

That's exactly what I said (with volts and temps and stuff) but he has screnshots, I'll check if it was all 4 cores
!