New CPU or Motherboard

Hi !

Ok I would just like a few opinions if possible:

I am looking to upgrade either my CPU or Mobo.

My specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 820 (2.80GHz)
AMD 785G Chipset (dell - NO OVERCLOCKING POSSIBLE)
Saphirre HD5970
8GB RAM

Im willing to spend £200 on upgrading as ive already spent god knows how much on a case, psu and the 5970.

My query is, should I upgrade my processor to the:

AMD Phenom II X6 Six Core 1090T Black Edition 3.20GHz (Socket AM3)

or Get a New mobo that I can overclock my current CPU with, either:

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7 AMD 890FX (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7 AMD 890FX (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

or

Asus Crosshair IV Formula AMD 890FX (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard This Week Only Offer
Asus Crosshair IV Formula AMD 890FX (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard.

One day after new years i intend to upgrade both but for now which option do you think would give me the best performance increase!!

Cheers ladies and gents!!

RV
5 answers Last reply
More about motherboard
  1. Is AMD your only option? If it is, I would say the Gigabyte board with the 1090T. You can try something from Intel and get very good performance.
  2. No not at all, I am open to all makes but I do like AMD plus i am using Ati graphics cards so i prefer to keep all with the same manufacturer.
  3. If gaming is your need then suggest going for the Intel i5 760 and pair it with a nice P55 board. The Thubans are not that great in gaming. The 1095T gives almost the same performance as the i7 930, but considering the i7 950 is almost the same as the 930, the i7 950 also is great buy for gaming and other applications.
  4. its inspiron 570 - to be honest ive pretty much changed the system - everything besides the mobo and processor. i saw the amd phenom II x4 970 (3.50GHz) for £140 then a decent Asus mobo for 80-100 quid. Im not fussed over cores as i will rarely use all 6 cores of a IIx6 - id rather the clock speeds of a quad core which will give me better performance.
  5. Your system is very good, wait for the new sockets.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards AMD CPUs