Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive is unreadable

Last response: in Storage
February 27, 2012 11:57:01 AM

Hello, my external hard drive wont show in the computer window , when i try to see whats wrong in the in the disk management this is is the message i get ----- System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Failed to connect to an IPC Port: The system cannot find the file specified. Server stack trace: at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcPort.Connect(String portName, Boolean secure, TokenImpersonationLevel impersonationLevel, Int32 timeout) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.ConnectionCache.GetConnection(String portName, Boolean secure, TokenImpersonationLevel level, Int32 timeout) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg) Exception rethrown at [0]: at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type) at d9.a() at e9.a() at du.a(String[] A_0) i have no clue what on earth this means please helpm me

More about : hard drive unreadable

a b G Storage
February 27, 2012 12:30:22 PM

in short the disc is timing out because something is not working properly. try the external drive on a different connector and see if that changes anything, if not then it most likely means that your port on the device is bad and you will need a new enclosure. 9 times out of 10 the drive itself is perfectly fine, and you can easily (or relatively easily) remove the drive from your enclosure and install it internally in your PC or transfer it to a different box.
Related resources
!