Sep 11, 2010
hi

i have 2gb memory but it dispalyed as i have 1.75gb

my system is:

mobo: Gigabyte ga-ma 785gt-ud3h

memory: Kingston 2GB (one card)

cpu: AMD phenom x4 955

windows xp pro sp2

(i know about 4gb or something with windows xp , but its strange it dont use all the 2GB)

any idea?>

I think the RAM is being used for the On-Board Graphics. Go to your BIOS and check your settings.

This happens if you don't have a GPU installed. Since you haven't mentioned any, i am assuming you don't have one.

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
yes i do have onboard graphic ATI Radeon HD 4200 , but the problem is i dont find the correct memory it come with so i can be 100% sure the graphic , since AMD doesnt mention nothing about it on the product review

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/ati-radeon-hd-4200/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4200-specificatications.aspx

i see every where on the web 128Mb, 512mb so iamnot sure

but when i open a program installed on my my windows of system information it says 700mb (what make me suspicious the graphic indeed uses my ram

i dont understand u about the gpu thing , isnt every graphic should only work with it (as its the graphic processing unit) so obviously i have that isnt it?

For graphics there is the on-board graphics and the there is a dedicated GPU. Your's is an integrated graphics (IGP).

Check your BIOS. See if the 4200 is selected as your primary graphics driver.

Although i did not understand your post completely!

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

i dont have another graphic (so iam pretty sure its selected ) but i wil check that.

u say u dont understand, what i trying to solve is why windows doesnt display 2gb as i have installed?!

and i see it got something to do with the graphics ....

well, why are you selling your system short anyways.?
meaning that with only 2GB stick of RAM and an AMD phenom x4 955
on that gigabyte board it's begging for more. to do and have more..
xp isn't even supported anymore and you don't even run sp3 your on sp2 still.
why.?
if not upgrading to Win7 then at least install sp3, it's actually a good package that made XP somewhat more compatible win today's computing..
better yet even upgrade to 64-bit.
then, go 4GB (2x2GB) of RAM in dual channel mode.
your system right now is like a puppy Rottweiler waiting to grow up..

i do plan to add another 2GB ..

for the opearting system i thought on windows 7 sometime

i dont install sp3 because i dont trust it (but i realised i will have to that microsoft stoped supporting sp2 in july) so i will instal sp3

about the 64bit , does my processor support it?