Solved

How big of an SSD should I get? (There wasn't an SSD section)

I just want to use it for my OS, frequently used programs and maybe a game or two. I was eyeing Corsair's Force Series GT 60GB. Is 60Gb enough? Thanks!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about there wasn section
  1. You need to go 120gb. Most folks are finding the ~60gb size hard to manage.

When you do get it, install Windows and get everything up and running, then add the HDD if you have one for storage. http://www.pcworld.com/article/237496/the_best_of_both_worlds_an_ssd_and_a_hdd.html
  2. i have a 64gb crucial m4 and i have no problems. i just have my os and programs loaded onto it, and all my user data loaded onto an external hd that i always have connected.
  3. 60GB would be the absolute min for what you want to do. Here are some useful guides to set it up like defaulting user files to your storage drive http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/270102-14-useful-articles-part
  4. The Minimum size is a 60/64 gig SSD, the recommended size is 120/128 gig. Larger ones better but just to Dam* expensive.

For consideration:
    .. DONT forget that 60 Gig drive will only be about 50 gigs of usable space. You lose about 4 gigs due to conversion from base 10 to base 2. You also then lose 10->15% of the 56 Gigs as You MUST leave this amount as "free" space for Trim and CG.
    .. Only that which is on the SSD is speeded up. So for a 60 gig drive that translates to faster Boot time and faster load time for Programs INSTALLED on SSD. EVERTHING else is limited to HDD speed.
    .. TypicalI installation is about 35->40 gigs excluding games and and WITH the following tweaks:
    (A) disable Hibernation.
    (B) Set min/max for page file to 1024 mb. For a 60 gig SSD consider moving to HDD.
    Move My Documents and internet temp to HDD.
    (C) Limit restore point size, or disable - This will eat up a lot of disk space as time progress.

Not a lover of your choice of SSD, consider the Curcial M4 or the Samsung 830.
  5. Best answer
    Acomputernewbie said:
    I just want to use it for my OS, frequently used programs and maybe a game or two. I was eyeing Corsair's Force Series GT 60GB. Is 60Gb enough? Thanks!

I had been under that same assumption for some time that a 60g would fill my needs of hosting an OS and a few game files. After the installation of the OS, Office, Steam, Origin and the corresponding games I ended up around 72g of use space. I have no media of any type other than my game files on that drive. It is a crucial m4 128g. I can say that I am relieved to have shelled out a few extra dollars for the 128g vs. the 64g that I would have originally purchased.
  6. Best answer selected by Acomputernewbie.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD Games Corsair Storage