Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

How big of an SSD should I get? (There wasn't an SSD section)

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SSD
  • Games
  • Corsair
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 27, 2012 1:43:38 PM

I just want to use it for my OS, frequently used programs and maybe a game or two. I was eyeing Corsair's Force Series GT 60GB. Is 60Gb enough? Thanks!

More about : big ssd ssd section

February 27, 2012 2:00:35 PM

i have a 64gb crucial m4 and i have no problems. i just have my os and programs loaded onto it, and all my user data loaded onto an external hd that i always have connected.
m
l
Related resources
a c 352 G Storage
February 27, 2012 2:12:17 PM

The Minimum size is a 60/64 gig SSD, the recommended size is 120/128 gig. Larger ones better but just to Dam* expensive.

For consideration:
.. DONT forget that 60 Gig drive will only be about 50 gigs of usable space. You lose about 4 gigs due to conversion from base 10 to base 2. You also then lose 10->15% of the 56 Gigs as You MUST leave this amount as "free" space for Trim and CG.
.. Only that which is on the SSD is speeded up. So for a 60 gig drive that translates to faster Boot time and faster load time for Programs INSTALLED on SSD. EVERTHING else is limited to HDD speed.
.. TypicalI installation is about 35->40 gigs excluding games and and WITH the following tweaks:
(A) disable Hibernation.
(B) Set min/max for page file to 1024 mb. For a 60 gig SSD consider moving to HDD.
Move My Documents and internet temp to HDD.
(C) Limit restore point size, or disable - This will eat up a lot of disk space as time progress.

Not a lover of your choice of SSD, consider the Curcial M4 or the Samsung 830.
m
l

Best solution

February 27, 2012 2:19:16 PM

Acomputernewbie said:
I just want to use it for my OS, frequently used programs and maybe a game or two. I was eyeing Corsair's Force Series GT 60GB. Is 60Gb enough? Thanks!

I had been under that same assumption for some time that a 60g would fill my needs of hosting an OS and a few game files. After the installation of the OS, Office, Steam, Origin and the corresponding games I ended up around 72g of use space. I have no media of any type other than my game files on that drive. It is a crucial m4 128g. I can say that I am relieved to have shelled out a few extra dollars for the 128g vs. the 64g that I would have originally purchased.
February 28, 2012 6:06:18 AM

Best answer selected by Acomputernewbie.
m
l