Random Blue Screens of Death! New Build

I finally got my parts in yesterday and put this baby together and since then I've already gotten 3 blue screens of death.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source
Windows

Summary
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
‎2/‎20/‎2010 7:40 PM

Status
Report sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 1e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF880098C7240
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
Bucket ID: X64_0x1E_c0000005_afd!AfdUpdatePollInfo+25
Server information: 5a1ecbaa-31a0-4d83-920c-24ab835be154
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source
Windows

Summary
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
‎2/‎19/‎2010 4:11 AM

Status
Not reported

Problem signature

BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF88004F6753A
BCP3: FFFFF88005E7A7C8
BCP4: FFFFF88005E7A020
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source
Windows

Summary
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
‎2/‎20/‎2010 2:01 PM

Status
Not reported

Problem signature

BCCode: 119
BCP1: 0000000007000000
BCP2: FFFFFA8005541410
BCP3: FFFFFA80059A2AF0
BCP4: FFFFFA8006055DA0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all of the reports from the reliability center. Anyone have any ideas? If you need more information I'll be happy to get it together. I want a stable system!
41 answers Last reply
More about random blue screens death build
  1. Check for latest BIOs Drivers and Updates

Check to make sure ram is set to specs in the bios ( you might need to manually set ram )

Check CPU temps

Make sure all connections are tight

Run a memetest over night

You could post your mini dump of the BSOD @ http://www.sevenforums.com/ they can give you some info on it and help to try and pin point the cause of the BSOD
  2. BSOD's are most commonly caused by RAM issues. We need to know exactly what components you have. The most important thing to do is manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the correct settings in the BIOS.
  3. is your ram duel channel?
    are they in the correct dimm?
    maybe a defective ram stick.....

also anther thing that can cause this exact error code 119 (the last one you posted) is Norton antivirus incompatibilities with your graphic drivers.....

If you do happen to have Norton, uninstall it and try running occt torture test on your system to detect any hardware instabilities http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download
  4. I posted on sevenforums and they told me some stuff to check. uninstalled ati drivers and reinstalled them, ran memtest for a few hours also. I did have the ram manually set in the bios but it's the first time i've ever fooled with stuff like that so i set it back to default and let my motherboard handle it. I ran the memtest after i set it back to default and it didn't show any errors. I'll probably set it back to what I had and run memtest to see if that was the problem.

No norton installed on this machine. Don't plan on it either. I have all the latest drivers, updates and my temps are good too. I'll just see if it does it anymore since I made these few changes.
  5. do you have Norton antivirus??
  6. That's a big negative Dark
  7. ok had to check.... it has to be either your ram or your processor one is not stable..
    you said you ran memtest but did you run a stability test? a good one to use is occt torture test

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download
  8. I'll check that out now. I'll post back with the results. Thanks for the reply.
  9. no prob...
  10. CPU: OCCT - No errors
    CPU: LINPACK - IN PROGRESS
    GPU: OCCT - PENDING
  11. seems you fixed the problem by setting the ram back to the original settings...

When and if you change any settings, Change it to manufacturer specs, and run occt again to check for stability... over clocking your ram can be tedious and needs to be done right always verify stability and over clock slowly
  12. memtest will tell you if their is errors in your ram.. however when you over clock or change settings there is technically "nothing wrong with your ram" so it may show as having no problems...
    but is it stable? that is the question
  13. On the QVL for my motherboard my ram is listed as 1066 MHz and 7-7-7-20

The RAM manufacturer recommends 1600 MHz and 8-8-8-24 so that's what I had it set at first. Since I changed it back to 1066 and 7-7-7-20 I haven't gotten a BSOD...yet
  14. trust me if occt said it is stable... it is . for some reason your system becomes unstabel when you clock higher.. it may not even be your ram is your motherboard rated for 1600 overclock? And some boards only support 1600+ with a certain processor.. not sure about intel but with amd boards only support 1600 with an am3 processor. So i would read the fine print on your mobo and find out what it fully supports as far as ram goes
  15. your board specs list this:

*Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs

i would find out what that cpu support is exactly
  16. the hyper dimm asereks is by the 2,000 and the 1600 listing for ram speeds
  17. post your ram plz

you have talked about setting the ram speed and timmings but have not said anything about how much volts you are giving the ram

if you went with this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365 try to set it at

8-8-8-24

1.65 volts
  18. he wrote the following...

On the QVL for my motherboard my ram is listed as 1066 MHz and 7-7-7-20

The RAM manufacturer recommends 1600 MHz and 8-8-8-24 so that's what I had it set at first. Since I changed it back to 1066 and 7-7-7-20 I haven't gotten a BSOD...yet
  19. oh nevermind forget my last post
  20. That's the ram. first off.... for the voltage i dont know which one it is.
    QPI/DRAM voltage or DRAM Core Voltage

Right now i have the motherboard setting it and in the bios it's showing up as 1066 but now CPU-Z is telling me it's only 534.5 MHz. confusing
  21. street1030 said:
    That's the ram. first off.... for the voltage i dont know which one it is.
    QPI/DRAM voltage or DRAM Core Voltage

Right now i have the motherboard setting it and in the bios it's showing up as 1066 but now CPU-Z is telling me it's only 534.5 MHz. confusing

DRAM core volts WHAT IS IT AT ?

You want to look for a setting called ( DRAM VOLTAGE SETTING )

look at this pic of a bios http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2009/01/gigabyte-ga-ex58-ud4p-and-ds4-review/bios6.jpg

See the DRAM VOLTAGE @ 1.5 ? your ram should be at 1.65
  22. In my bios theres two options that you can set. Not sure if it's QPI / DRAM Voltage OR DRAM Core Voltage. If it's QPI / DRAM Voltage that's the one I had set to 1.64
  23. What mobo ?
  24. QPI / DRAM Voltage Intels safe is 1.35 this is for the controller
  25. ASUS P6X58D. I'm trying to find which one it is but no luck so far. I have very limited experience with tweaking settings in the bios. But I'd like to get this straightened out.
  26. I belive you are looking for DRAM BUS VOLTAGE for your ram http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYp_tnC5Ho8 watch this clip

just use it to set your ram dont OC your CPU :)
  27. Lol ok I found it. I set DRAM Frequency to 1600, Timings to 8-8-8-24 and DRAM Bus Voltage to 1.64.

I just launched CPU-Z to check the settings.....it's only reporting my DRAM Frequency as 800....which is half of what I set it in the bios. I'm not sure why.
  28. run occt torture test now to verify the memory is stable.... you should be fine.
  29. Ok well you have it set right now so run Prime95 for a hour or 2 / Intels burn test on high and tonight run memetest86 over night to check for ram errors

if alls good your set if not post back and we can dig dipper

As far as CPU-Z goes my ram show 720 because i have dual channel ram that is double pumped is its really 720 X 2 for 1440 I have 1600 ram but i am OCing my CPU so i had to under clock my ram for my OC on the CPU other wise i would be OCing my ram also.
  30. or prime 95 but i prefer occt
  31. Ok with these new settings I got a BSOD almost right away. I understand why CPU-Z is showing this number now. Thanks. Back to the drawing board I guess.
  32. do you have a link to your ram...
  33. SOMEONE ELSE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM

Reviewed By: Rakista on 2/19/2010 Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 day to 1 week
    This user purchased this item from Newegg
    Pros: Works at 1333 8-8-8-24 @1.68v, seems stable.
    Cons: Rated at 1600. Tried default timings and voltage, constant blue screens. Tried up to 1.7v and 9-9-9-24 timings, no go.
    Other Thoughts: I like it but wish it worked at rated speed.

Manufacturer Response:Hello, we will be happy to assist you with settings to get you running at rated speeds. Please visit our support forums at the link below and post in the memory section for assistance.
    Thank you

External Link(s):
    OCZ Support Forums|
  34. here is the link that is supposed to be there

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/index.php
  35. thats what i thought your ram was follow my link ubove and tell ocz customer support about your problem or what i would do is call them and talk to a customer rep. you are not the only one with this problem
  36. Test it with one stick at a time you might have a bad stick of ram, I would RMA it if it wont run at specs

You could try to set it at 9-9-9-27 and see if it helps

bottom line you payed for ram it should work if not get your money back and try something else
  37. that is patially why i refered him to ocz customer support. They can determin whether his ram is bad or his settings are off either way other people have complained of the same problem with the same ram and ocz always refers them to their customer support.
  38. I'm going to talk to OCZ like you suggested Dark. After they get back to me I'll try what you suggested niklas. If all else fails I'll have to ship em back and be without a computer for a while.
  39. Manufacturer Response:Hello, we are sorry that you are having difficulties. We do provide technical support over the phone all day. When all of our techs are busy, your call will get routed to a machine. We aplogize if you have not been able to get through. Probably the best way to get support is to visit our support forums at the link below, and post in the memory section. We will be happy to assist you with troubleshooting and settings. One tip is to test each stick individually. If all 3 sticks function well, a few setting changes should get you running properly.
    Thank you

External Link(s):
    OCZ Support Forums
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Shutdown New Build Systems Product