Solved

How much power?

I'm building a new system i currently have a 600W PSU but i want a moduler PSU so i figured i would upgrade to an 800W. I need to know if that is to excessive for my new system.


Specs
Phenom II X4 955 Processor
8GB DDR3-1333Mhz
HD 500GB x4 - 2TB x1
2 EVGA 9800GT
1 DVD-ROM
28 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power
  1. With those specs a good quality 600-650 watt unit would be plenty.
    Seasonic, Corsair, Antec and now XFX would be what to look for.
  2. Hi
    this all depends on your planed final config mainly your g/cards are you keeping the ones you have or are you upgradeing them?
  3. I just bought another card saturday i'll be keeping the 9800GT configuration and that is the final config or will be anyways. I was going to try and get some 2000MHZ DDR3 RAM if possible because the new motherboard supports 2000MHZ (O.C.).
  4. then as delluser said 600-650watts should be plenty
  5. oh ps

    it aint easy to find DDR3 ram in dual chanel anymore i realy struggled to find mine they are all in tri chanel kits now or mostly
  6. I was told to just buy DDR3 RAM doesn't matter if its in a kit or not i'm just buying 4 DDR3 modules sepratley. Long as there the same model it shouldn't make a diffrence. Atleast thats what i was told.
  7. well yes as your useing all 4 slots dual channel dont matter as dual channel only works with 2 slots. I have tryed both ways and i prefer to run less ram with dual channel and EPP2.0
  8. So DDR3 won't work in dual-channel in all 4 slots? Cuz i'm running 4 DDR2 sticks in dual-channel now.
  9. my understanding is no it wont it will work as single channel ddr3 but that goes for all ram ddr1/2 and 3.

    I am not 100% but i think thats one of the benefits of the new cpu mobo combos that not only can you have triple channel but it warks as tripple channel even with all 6 slots used.
  10. Eithelwulf said:
    oh ps

    it aint easy to find DDR3 ram in dual chanel anymore i realy struggled to find mine they are all in tri chanel kits now or mostly

    Over 140 Dual channel DDR3 kits
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147%201052129233%201052315794&bop=And&Pagesize=100
  11. Yes, It will.
    2 dual-channel setups...
  12. I guess my question now is will this board run 4 DDR3 1333MHz sticks in dual channel like my current one runs DDR2 now? Just want a clear answer i can't afford to spend 250$ getting this RAM just to spend money haveing to return it if it doesn't work. I realize this thread kinda veared off PSUs... Sorry about that.


    Motherboard
    http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=1g8o5Sh3csqM5M8u&templete=2
  13. delluser1 said:


    ok ok ya can if you live the other side of the pond :)
  14. mystery42 said:
    I guess my question now is will this board run 4 DDR3 1333MHz sticks in dual channel like my current one runs DDR2 now? Just want a clear answer i can't afford to spend 250$ getting this RAM just to spend money haveing to return it if it doesn't work. I realize this thread kinda veared off PSUs... Sorry about that.


    Motherboard
    http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=1g8o5Sh3csqM5M8u&templete=2


    As i understand it no it will run as single channel
  15. One more question is it just me or is it hard to find AMD/Nvidia motherboards with 6 RAM slots and more than 6 SATA ports? I've looked at all the major companys and i can't find any with more than 4 ram slots and 6 SATA ports plus if you get the better speed SLI motherboard they take away 1 SATA port which is very annoying. the asus board i posted the link to is a perfect example its 750a has 6 SATA but runs SLI x8 x8 the one i'm getting is 980a runs 5 SATA but has x16 x16 SLI.
  16. The mobo's with 6 dimm slots are the new tech for the new cpu's only. If you want that you need to upgrade to i3 i5 i7 or AMD equvialant cpu
  17. Isn't Phenon II the new DDR3 CPU thats why i bought it i wanted a motherboard with 6 RAm slots... So far its turned out to be slim pickings.
  18. unfortunately thats where you loose me im sorry but i you can put on the back of a postage stamp what i know about AMD cpu's/mobo's. tho i think you will find i am right about the dual channel stuff. just try it yourself if you have 2 dimms that work as dual channel ie matched pair put just try those in your pc and play. I bet you will find it smoother and faster than with the 8GB of single channel ram.

    Thats what i did :)
  19. mystery42 said:
    I'm building a new system i currently have a 600W PSU but i want a moduler PSU so i figured i would upgrade to an 800W. I need to know if that is to excessive for my new system.


    Specs
    Phenom II X4 955 Processor
    8GB DDR3-1333Mhz
    HD 500GB x4 - 2TB x1
    2 EVGA 9800GT
    1 DVD-ROM


    You can NEVER have too much power. It's the cheapest insurance policy you can buy for any system. Always use the biggest quality PSU you can afford. You won't be sorry.
  20. Best answer
    everything on socket 1156 like the i3,i5 and i7 8xx run dual channel ram its only the 1366 platform for i7 9xx series that run tri channel ram

    and you can have 8 sticks of ram is will run dual channel as long as the actual combined amount of ram can be evenly devided by 2,like 8 sticks times 2gb each is 16gb of ram so each controller channel on the cpu will address 8 gb of ram per channel meaning dual channel

    and the phenom II will run any speed ddr3 ram
  21. Best answer selected by Mystery42.
  22. obsidian86 said:
    everything on socket 1156 like the i3,i5 and i7 8xx run dual channel ram its only the 1366 platform for i7 9xx series that run tri channel ram

    and you can have 8 sticks of ram is will run dual channel as long as the actual combined amount of ram can be evenly devided by 2,like 8 sticks times 2gb each is 16gb of ram so each controller channel on the cpu will address 8 gb of ram per channel meaning dual channel

    and the phenom II will run any speed ddr3 ram



    Thats new to me ive allways beeen led to belive that dual channel only works with 2 matched dimms in the 2 correct slots, not all four ive bee told this time and time again. If im wrong tho whoot ill be off to buy another 4Gb for my rig. your the only one thats contradictid what ive said in this therad if i was so far off the mark i would have expected more people to have put me right. Dont get me wrong if i am incorrect in what im saying im willing to listen and learn. Does what ive been told only apply to older tech like DDR400 etc?
  23. ok that turned everrything ive been told in the past on its head.
    Wish someone had shoved me in the right direction further up in this thread but never mind thats why i come here to learn and we got there in the end :)

    thankyou
  24. we all start somewhere im only happy to help
  25. any idars where i can get 4gb sli cert OCZ 1800mhz DDR3 from as i know i cant find it in the uk so i going to have to inport it. i can use 2000mhz with EPP2.0 if i can find it chaep enough ill upgrade my existing ram at the same time.
  26. Eithelwulf said:
    any idars where i can get 4gb sli cert OCZ 1800mhz DDR3 from as i know i cant find it in the uk so i going to have to inport it. i can use 2000mhz with EPP2.0 if i can find it chaep enough ill upgrade my existing ram at the same time.


    4gb is plenty for gaming and general usage

    i'd keep the ram and jump onto an am3 amd build

    for the intel i series you gonna have to change your ram the 1800mhz ddr3 you have now runs at to high voltage for the i series memory controller and it might damage the cpu
  27. i intend to keep this setup for a good while unfortunately im no made of money. I do want to upgrade the g/cards and the cpu to a yorkfield quad and hopefully skip the i3-i7 cpus as suggested here on toms.

    I see thats why its discontinued and i can no longer get it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Power Components Product