What all around graphics card for home/workstation

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I'd like some suggestions for an all around graphics card maybe leaning more towards the workstation side. I'd like to do some learning of a 3d modeling program from work and AutoCAD. I'll be doing a fair amount of Creative Suite 4. But my 9yo son would probably like to play a game on it from time to time. I'd prefer to be more on the budget side. Any suggestions? I have a i7 860 system that I recently put together and a 2048 x 1152 resolution 23" Samsung monitor.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Well with gaming cards you can get great FPS in games but when it comes to rendering they are rather slow. And workstation cards they do great FPS at rendering and for games they either are slow (if your lucky) or they crash. So the best "In between" would be the gaming card, but that leans more towards gaming rather than rendering, which you want to have more of.

For gaming something like a HD 4890 or 5830(when it comes out) will play at max settings for your screen, a 5770 would be ok if abit high for your budget. And as far as how well these cards do in AutoCad and CS4 I have no idea.

This is a review of the FirePro v8700 compared to the HD 4870 in a few rendering programs. Its about 4x faster average and costs 5x more.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-firepro-v8700,review-31526-10.html

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Thanks. I'll look into that card. I really know little to nothing about the latest and greatest graphics cards. I was thinking I'd probably be best served just getting more of a gaming card that can at least do the other software somewhat good.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
I would get a gaming card as it can play games and can still render, but it will be painfully slow for rendering compared to a workstation card. Also what is your budget exactly because if you can afford that monitor and an i7 860 it doesn't seem like you are strapped for cash.

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Well I have been building this since I got the i7 on sale during black friday. Some of the parts are from a PC I built 8yrs ago. The current graphics card is from a co-worker and very basic. I still need to save the cash for a keyboard and mouse, I've been borrowing the ones my son uses with his Mac Mini when he is not. But I would say that $120 might be about max and that would probably be next month also. I've got about $450 into this system so far.

guggas

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
If I was you I would buy a radeon hd4670. They are not near the performance of the cards previously mentioned, but this one is well within your price range and albeit good enough. AutoCad doesnt require a powerfull video card at all. the 4670 is a good card for light gaming. It might be kinda slow at 3d rendering, but it doesnt sound like you are going to be using it a ton for that. So why waste tons of cash on something you are just dabbling in..

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Thanks. I looked up that card. It seems to sell for around $80 or so. That seems about right. But I can only find it with one DVI input. I would eventually like to have two screens. Eventually may be some time away, but eventually none the less. I really am Graphics Cards illiterate so I do appreciate the input on what to get.

guggas

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102854&cm_re=radeon_4670-_-14-102-854-_-Product

this is a good cheap card and it will run everything you said decently. yeah it only has one dvi output, but it has an hdmi port too, and a vga (d-sub) output so you can plug another monitor in there if you get one that has either an hdmi or vga input.

If you want to step it up a notch you could go with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125236&cm_re=radeon_4850-_-14-125-236-_-Product

It has two dvi outputs and is a stronger card but you will need a six pin power cable coming from your power supply or you can use a molex to six pin converter and this card might come with one you just need to check.

TRENDING THREADS