seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I just read about a guy fried some wires in his home when he connected his psu to his wall socket.Will this possibly happen to me??Should i use a surge protector??I have a power squid or just plug straight into the wall??I have a Pc&Power Cooling 1200w -a beast.The person who fried wires in his home had a Silverstone 1000w. Plugging in my pc to the wall to check if all my components were powered up was as far as i went with it(new build).Just being catious.

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
the question to me i should i use protection or not (i might get into trouble for this but) its the same as should i use a condom. if your trying to make babies no if not hell yeh.
should i use a surge protector,well hell yes if you dont want the risk

randomkid

Distinguished

The guy must have a below specification wiring ( thinner gauge wire used ) or some loose connection in the first place. You could check the fuse rating of the circuit to which the wall socket belongs to. It should have rating of at least 11amperes assuming your PC will really draw 1200w.

Millions of people around the world plug all kinds of PC's into their walls every day with no problems at all.

The guy you read about either had inadequate or overloaded wiring in his house or an improperly functioning circuit breaker.

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Solution