BIOS and Windows cant detect my 2 gb ram!

emachinese625

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
What is wrong? I have 4 gbs ram and BIOS and Windows shows i have 2 gb. Im sure the other memory is connected to PC correctly (this is laptop) and CPU-Z shows the other RAM too and says i have 4 gbs. But why BIOS and Windows shows 2 gb?

Welcome Newcomer! :)

Please post the following screen <or> state the values {Physical Memory - section}:
RM_7PRO6GB.gif

emachinese625

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Sorry for double posting, but editing is not possible in here... That Asennettu: 2048 mt means how much memory i have in PC. But i have 4 gb, so why it shows 2 GB?? Is my other RAM broken or what is problem because BIOS thinks too there is 2 gb..

Yes, I noticed the RM info:
Available: 1017 MB
Cached: 922 MB
Total: 1790
Installed: 2048

I looked at your Manual {assuming it is an eMachine E625}:

Memory size mismatch Press <F2> (during POST) to enter the BIOS utility,
then press Exit in the BIOS utility to reboot.

The RAM is supposed to be 667 MHz or 800 {ideally the Old New are the same speed} - http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=E625

Therefore, if the F2 option fails try removing the installed 2GB and replace it with the new 2GB only.

Also, (2) other issues can result in this problem: 1. BIOS Memory Mapping {perhaps it is part of the F2 procedure or in the BIOS itself, and 2. BOOT Advanced options {see image} everything unchecked:
Boot_OPT.gif

In either case, create a bootable CD/DVD with Memtest86+ {ISO/zip} This will test ALL of the RAM and you may need to change the boot priority to CD/DVD 1st - http://www.memtest.org/

However, my assumption is that you "may" have purchased incompatible RAM for your notebook. Please either post the Part-Number and/or link to your new RAM.

emachinese625

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hi! I think the other RAM is now totally broken. Laptop can't start with that... But without that laptop boots normally. I dont think it's incompatible for this, because im not switched it. It was in this PC default, no new RAMs buyed and now its broken..
So if i boot this laptop with that RAM, laptop doesn't start.. Just giving black screen, nothing else. But without it, laptop can start up.. What is wrong really? It's not incompatible because it's included ready in laptop... There is image of that RAM.

RAM is Samsung 2GB 2Rx8 PC2 -5300S-555-12-E3 M470T5663EH3-CE6
Do i have to buy new RAM because that samsung not working?

emachinese625

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
eMachines E625 maximum RAM capacity: 4GB
Your eMachines has Two (2) memory slots or sockets
Module upgrade PIN count is: 200-PIN
The memory speed is: DDR2 667MHz, PC2-5300
The laptop DIMM type for the E625 is: SODIMM, SO-DIMM, Small Outline DIMM
Non ECC <-- I copied that from MemoryUpgradePro, so where to get compatible RAMs to this laptop?

Based upon what I've read so for, and in particular the failure to boot - I would recommend that you RMA/exchange the RAM. I am pretty certain this will correct the problem.

"...the other RAM is now totally broken. Laptop can't start with that... But without that laptop boots normally..."

emachinese625

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
SO do you mean i need an new RAM if i want 4 gbs? 2GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 SODIMM <-- Is that compatible with this laptop if i want 4 gb?

emachinese625

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Do i ordered new ram for nothing? Im waiting for that, but i removed the working other Samsung RAM from Slot 1 and put broken Samsung RAM to Slot 1 and booted up, and works! But when i keep still that broken Samsung RAM in Slot 1 and insert working Samsung RAM to Slot 2, it does same thing than inserting broken to slot 2 and working to slot 1.. Blank screen.. Where is really problem? In RAM or Slot?? Do i ordered new ram for nothing? Is problem in Slot 2?

emachinese625

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
And one question more, it is possible my RAM Slot 2 is broken? If i insert the working RAM to Slot 2, computer just keeps fan on and power light stays on.. In Slot 1 all works perfectly.. And if i can get my computer bootup when the broken RAM is in Slot 2, is it possible still my RAM slot is broken but CPU-Z can still find it there is an inserted RAM in Slot 2?? Sorry if you dont understand, my English is bad...

emachinese625

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hi again and sorry for big double posting....
If i can get this laptop start up with that broken RAM, CPU-Z finds the other RAM, but shows Channels# is Single, but 2 RAM sticks is still connected. Can this cause that my laptop shows only that 2 GB? Or is it just an faulty RAM? Sorry again for bad English.

On - 10-01-2010 at 04:07:53 PM "Therefore, if the F2 option fails try removing the installed 2GB and replace it with the new 2GB only. "
I had suggested that you try the new RAM in the old slot to tested the SLOT. It sound like you have a bad slot on the eMachine. I would try to clean the slot, compressed air is the best way. If that fails then you'll need to send the PC back to eMachines to be repaired/replaced. If it is under warranty it will be free.

emachinese625

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
This is over year old laptop, and warranty was only year, so i cant get new for free.. But let's see what happens when i got that new RAM.

emachinese625

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hi! I got the new ram, it works perfectly. Currently it is in Slot 1, and but when i insert working Samsung RAM to Slot 2, then i got again blank screen! What causes this??

emachinese625

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Should i update my BIOS to from Version 1.10 to Version 1.11? Can that fix my problem? I know it can broke computer totally, but can it fix it?

^ As I referred above ->
"It sound like you have a bad slot on the eMachine. I would try to clean the slot, compressed air is the best way. If that fails then you'll need to send the PC back to eMachines to be repaired/replaced."

Get (1) LARGE RAM stick (2GB)/slot limit <or> send to eMachine for repair <or> NEW PC. :(