Printing from Unix to Printer on PC

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I have windows XP with a printer attached to a UPC port. It is the default
printer for this PC and is on a network with an AIX server.

I am trying to setup a print queue on the AIX server to print to my Printer
connected to my PC.

I have installed Print Services for Unix from Add/Rem
programs/ windows components. Then made sure that TCP/IP Print server was
started and set to Automatic. Is that all that is needed here?

The printer on my PC is named BrotherH and is shared as BrotherH.

I then went on my unix box:
Added my computer to the hosts file (tested with ping)
Set up printer to print to a remote host. In setup I named the queue TEST
and put the name of my computer (the one I put in the hosts file) into the
Host field and put BrotherH in the "Name of the QUEUE on the remote server
field. I then selected BSD for the "Type of print spooler on the remote
server. Is BSD correct? The other opions are System V, AIX 3 or 4 and AIX 2.

Is this correct or am I missing something? I'm thinking there is something
else I have to do on the PC but can't remember.

Dan
5 answers Last reply
More about printing unix printer
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    If you have the firewall enabled on XP you will need to setup an Exception
    for the Print Service for Unix (lpd). LPD listens for incoming jobs on TCP
    Port 515.
    I do not quite understand how the printer is connected to the PC.

    I think the BSD selection would be the correct option in Unix

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Dan" <gill_daniel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have windows XP with a printer attached to a UPC port. It is the
    default
    > printer for this PC and is on a network with an AIX server.
    >
    > I am trying to setup a print queue on the AIX server to print to my
    Printer
    > connected to my PC.
    >
    > I have installed Print Services for Unix from Add/Rem
    > programs/ windows components. Then made sure that TCP/IP Print server was
    > started and set to Automatic. Is that all that is needed here?
    >
    > The printer on my PC is named BrotherH and is shared as BrotherH.
    >
    > I then went on my unix box:
    > Added my computer to the hosts file (tested with ping)
    > Set up printer to print to a remote host. In setup I named the queue TEST
    > and put the name of my computer (the one I put in the hosts file) into the
    > Host field and put BrotherH in the "Name of the QUEUE on the remote server
    > field. I then selected BSD for the "Type of print spooler on the remote
    > server. Is BSD correct? The other opions are System V, AIX 3 or 4 and AIX
    2.

    > Is this correct or am I missing something? I'm thinking there is something
    > else I have to do on the PC but can't remember.
    >
    > Dan

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    The printer is connected to the USB port on the PC. I turned off Microsoft
    firewall on the Network interface (which is wireless) it is connecting to a
    Linksys router then to my ISP's Cisco router. Do routers, in general, not
    listen on port 515?

    Dan
    "Alan Morris(MSFT)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If you have the firewall enabled on XP you will need to setup an Exception
    > for the Print Service for Unix (lpd). LPD listens for incoming jobs on
    TCP
    > Port 515.
    > I do not quite understand how the printer is connected to the PC.
    >
    > I think the BSD selection would be the correct option in Unix
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    rights.

    > "Dan" <gill_daniel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I have windows XP with a printer attached to a UPC port. It is the
    > default
    > > printer for this PC and is on a network with an AIX server.
    > >
    > > I am trying to setup a print queue on the AIX server to print to my
    > Printer
    > > connected to my PC.
    > >
    > > I have installed Print Services for Unix from Add/Rem
    > > programs/ windows components. Then made sure that TCP/IP Print server
    was
    > > started and set to Automatic. Is that all that is needed here?
    > >
    > > The printer on my PC is named BrotherH and is shared as BrotherH.
    > >
    > > I then went on my unix box:
    > > Added my computer to the hosts file (tested with ping)
    > > Set up printer to print to a remote host. In setup I named the queue
    TEST
    > > and put the name of my computer (the one I put in the hosts file) into
    the
    > > Host field and put BrotherH in the "Name of the QUEUE on the remote
    server
    > > field. I then selected BSD for the "Type of print spooler on the remote
    > > server. Is BSD correct? The other opions are System V, AIX 3 or 4 and
    AIX
    > 2.
    > >
    > > Is this correct or am I missing something? I'm thinking there is
    something
    > > else I have to do on the PC but can't remember.
    > >
    > > Dan

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    NO! Routers listen to every port. However, firewalls only allows
    "configured" ports to pass.

    > The printer is connected to the USB port on the PC. I turned off Microsoft
    > firewall on the Network interface (which is wireless) it is connecting to
    > Linksys router then to my ISP's Cisco router. Do routers, in general, not
    > listen on port 515?
    >
    > Dan
    > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> If you have the firewall enabled on XP you will need to setup an
    >> Exception
    >> for the Print Service for Unix (lpd). LPD listens for incoming jobs on
    > TCP
    >> Port 515.
    >> I do not quite understand how the printer is connected to the PC.
    >>
    >> I think the BSD selection would be the correct option in Unix
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Morris
    >> Windows Printing Team

    > rights.
    >>
    >> "Dan" <gill_daniel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > I have windows XP with a printer attached to a UPC port. It is the
    >> default
    >> > printer for this PC and is on a network with an AIX server.
    >> >
    >> > I am trying to setup a print queue on the AIX server to print to my
    >> Printer
    >> > connected to my PC.
    >> >
    >> > I have installed Print Services for Unix from Add/Rem
    >> > programs/ windows components. Then made sure that TCP/IP Print server
    > was
    >> > started and set to Automatic. Is that all that is needed here?
    >> >
    >> > The printer on my PC is named BrotherH and is shared as BrotherH.
    >> >
    >> > I then went on my unix box:
    >> > Added my computer to the hosts file (tested with ping)
    >> > Set up printer to print to a remote host. In setup I named the queue
    > TEST
    >> > and put the name of my computer (the one I put in the hosts file) into
    > the
    >> > Host field and put BrotherH in the "Name of the QUEUE on the remote
    > server
    >> > field. I then selected BSD for the "Type of print spooler on the
    >> > remote
    >> > server. Is BSD correct? The other opions are System V, AIX 3 or 4 and
    > AIX
    >> 2.
    >> >
    >> > Is this correct or am I missing something? I'm thinking there is
    > something
    >> > else I have to do on the PC but can't remember.
    >> >
    >> > Dan

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    OK, I'm testing internally so there is no routers. I can see that the job
    leaves the unix machine but still never prints on My PC. In that I mean
    that I send a job, unix give me a job number, I do an 'lpstat' and see the
    job in the queue. Do lpstat again and it is gone and the queue is still up.

    Is there a service or command that I can do to see if the job is getting to
    my PC?
    I have looked at the Event Viewer but can't see anything there.

    Dan

    > NO! Routers listen to every port. However, firewalls only allows
    > "configured" ports to pass.
    >

    > "Dan" <gill_daniel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > The printer is connected to the USB port on the PC. I turned off
    Microsoft
    > > firewall on the Network interface (which is wireless) it is connecting
    > > Linksys router then to my ISP's Cisco router. Do routers, in general,
    not
    > > listen on port 515?
    > >
    > > Dan
    > > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> If you have the firewall enabled on XP you will need to setup an
    > >> Exception
    > >> for the Print Service for Unix (lpd). LPD listens for incoming jobs on
    > > TCP
    > >> Port 515.
    > >> I do not quite understand how the printer is connected to the PC.
    > >>
    > >> I think the BSD selection would be the correct option in Unix
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Alan Morris
    > >> Windows Printing Team
    > >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    > > rights.
    > >>
    > >> "Dan" <gill_daniel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> default

    > >> Printer

    > > was

    > > TEST
    into
    > > the
    > > server
    > > AIX
    > >> 2.

    > > something

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    The LPD service looks for formating characters in the data stream. The
    default is text so if the printer is not PCL the job will be abandoned
    unless the sender tells LPD to take the binary data. There are several KB
    on the MS website on configuring LPD. The only way is through the registry.

    lpr /?
    Sends a print job to a network printer
    Usage: lpr -S server -P printer [-C class] [-J job] [-o option] [-x] [-d]
    filename
    -S server Name or ipaddress of the host providing lpd service
    -P printer Name of the print queue
    -C class Job classification for use on the burst page
    -J job Job name to print on the burst page
    -o option Indicates type of the file (by default assumes a text
    file)
    Use "-o l" for binary (e.g. postscript) files
    -x Compatibility with SunOS 4.1.x and prior
    -d Send data file first

    This setting can also be accomplished on the service by enabling passthru on
    the printer

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324078
    HOW TO: Install and Configure Print Services for UNIX

    This KB article explains how to set the LPD Service on ALL the printers
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;150930
    LPD Server Adds and Prints Control Codes

    This KB article explains how to set an individual printer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;168457
    Configuring Individual Printers to Passthrough LPR Print Jobs

    --

    > OK, I'm testing internally so there is no routers. I can see that the job
    > leaves the unix machine but still never prints on My PC. In that I mean
    > that I send a job, unix give me a job number, I do an 'lpstat' and see the
    > job in the queue. Do lpstat again and it is gone and the queue is still
    up.

    > Is there a service or command that I can do to see if the job is getting
    > my PC?
    > I have looked at the Event Viewer but can't see anything there.
    >
    > Dan
    >
    > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    > > NO! Routers listen to every port. However, firewalls only allows
    > > "configured" ports to pass.
    > >

    > > "Dan" <gill_daniel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > The printer is connected to the USB port on the PC. I turned off
    > Microsoft
    > > > firewall on the Network interface (which is wireless) it is connecting
    > > > Linksys router then to my ISP's Cisco router. Do routers, in general,
    > not
    > > > listen on port 515?
    > > >
    > > > Dan
    > > > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > TCP

    > > > rights.

    > server
    > > > was

    > > > TEST
    > into
    > > > the
    > > > server
    > > > AIX

    > > > something

Configuration Printers Microsoft Servers Windows XP