Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I7 930 running hot

Last response: in CPUs
April 26, 2010 9:20:23 PM

I was at about 94C running prime 95, so I took off the heatsink and removed then reapplied thermal paste (put a drop the size of a grain of rice on the heatsink then screwed it on to the bracket. Now it's running at 97C. Cant figure out how to increase fan speed.

i7-930
Zalman 9900 heatsink (configured as push/pull)
haf 922 case
Diamond radeon 5870
mushkin 6bg@1866 (running at 1600)

More about : 930 running hot

April 26, 2010 11:25:29 PM

Your temperatures do sound a little too hot. I wasn't able to find a clear answer on what the temps should be, it looks like it varies by processor and what it is being used for, etc. I don't have any specific recommendations besides making sure you have a good airflow (these are some ways you can check that): more air going out of the case than coming in, several fans (not just one), and good flow over the processor itself. Also, I'm not sure if the way you applied the thermal paste has anything to do with it. Depending on your processor, there are different ways it should be done. For the i7-930, it is recommended you put a straight line down the middle. You may want to see if anyone else had suggestions before you go taking off your heatsink again, though. Hope that helps.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2010 12:58:32 AM

For stock speeds, that is WAY too high. Even the stock cooler wouldn't be nearly that hot when running Prime95. 94'C is entering the territory of severe CPU degradation and thermal throttling.

OCed i7s should be running under 80s'C for prime95 load and aftermarket cooling, and non-OCed i7s should be running in the 70s'C or less with aftermarket cooling.

Is the Zalman 9900 a screwed-on or push-pin HSF? You say you've screwed the HSF, but I've seen 9900s with push-pin configurations.

How hot is it during idle? What are your voltages?

Do you have any HW-monitor screenshots?

m
l
Related resources
April 27, 2010 5:57:15 PM

By late last night, it was at 90C full load. I let that run for about an hour. Today, it is sitting at 84C at load and I am letting prime 95 run while I am at work. The Zalman 9900 is screw-in and I have reapplied paste a few different ways before settling on a grain of rice in the middle then just pressure (no twist). The temp is going down, but might I have a faulty cpu or heatsink?
m
l
April 27, 2010 5:59:51 PM

If someone tells me the best way to put up a picture of my screen, I will post whatever is requested.

Idle temps are about 38 on core #0 ans #2 and 32 on 1 and 30 on 3
Another note is that only cores 0 and 2 run hot. Now, 0 and 2 are sitting around 84C and 1 is at 79 while 3 is around 72C
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2010 12:58:21 AM

Why are you running prime95 on it for such a long period of time? DO you want damage to your CPU? Because 97C can cause damage. I'd cut the prime95'ing for now.

-What are your CPU voltages. You can use an application called CPU-Z or Hardware Monitor.

Download CPU-z: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
Download HW Monitor: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Both will tell you the main voltage. Better yet, just screenshot them.
I am guessing you know how to take snapshots of the screen right?
Well use http://www.tinypic.com/ as your host, its very easy to use and self-explanatory.
Or use http://www.postimage.org/

m
l
April 28, 2010 1:36:47 AM

- at load

- idle

While I did run prime 95 at about an hour at 90C last night, it was lower this morning (mid 80's) and when I just got home after running it 8 hours, it is sitting at a high of 80C. Could this be the thermal grease curing? Did I really damage my chip in the process? Should the i7 930 chip even run that high at stock settings?
m
l
April 28, 2010 6:13:12 PM

I recently upgraded to the 930 and at idle my cpu is registering temps in excess of 90C at stock! My system is running at stock, no OC'ing whatsoever I've ramped down the stock voltage to one, but I want what I paid for!

Are there others experiencing the same?

Cheers,

G.
m
l
April 28, 2010 6:19:57 PM

08C6 said:
I recently upgraded to the 930 and at idle my cpu is registering temps in excess of 90C at stock! My system is running at stock, no OC'ing whatsoever I've ramped down the stock voltage to one, but I want what I paid for!

Cheers,

G.

08C6- If you check the above thread - after a couple of days running it hot, the temps have dropped by about 20C. I don't feel comfortable OC'ing, but I was up near 100C running prime95 and now i'm sitting at 80C.

To the forum: Is this an un-overclockable chip, or is it designed to run this hot?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2010 6:58:31 PM

I would say you might have faulty heat pipes in your HSF. Try using the stock cooler and see what temperatures you get.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2010 7:50:32 PM

Bartendalot said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/33vk84o.png - at load

http://i41.tinypic.com/34y8d8l.png - idle

While I did run prime 95 at about an hour at 90C last night, it was lower this morning (mid 80's) and when I just got home after running it 8 hours, it is sitting at a high of 80C. Could this be the thermal grease curing? Did I really damage my chip in the process? Should the i7 930 chip even run that high at stock settings?

I'm sorry but I just don't understand your logic...do you have a grudge against your 930? DO you hate?...you are doing everything possible to break it...everything. If such high temperatures are dangerous for it, why the **** would you run prime95 on it especially for such a long period time? I hope you didn't damage your chip, but if you did...it is a result of your stupid actions. If you know prime95 gets your CPU to damaging temperatures and persist to do it...then....
m
l
April 28, 2010 9:36:42 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
I'm sorry but I just don't understand your logic...do you have a grudge against your 930? DO you hate?...you are doing everything possible to break it...everything. If such high temperatures are dangerous for it, why the **** would you run prime95 on it especially for such a long period time? I hope you didn't damage your chip, but if you did...it is a result of your stupid actions. If you know prime95 gets your CPU to damaging temperatures and persist to do it...then....

Blackhawk,

While I see that you have been on this forum for a while, I would find it much more helpful to get clear information about temperatures/chip degradation/air cooling/etc... instead of basically being called a maniacal chip-torturing idiot.

1) My core temp has dropped at full load by almost 20C (the reason I kept pushing it). Could this be a faulty chip/heatsink/sensor or something else?

2) Is running at 80C dangerous?
3) At what temperature does the i7 degrade?
4) What effect does cable management have on temps (haf 922 case with 3 fans)

I thought this was a forum that welcomed questions from first time homebuilders. If I am in the wrong place, would someone please point me to a forum that is better suited to someone new to the game?

Thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2010 1:59:08 AM

Hey, you have my sincerest apologies for misrepresenting the forum and being very rude. I kind of went out of control.

But anyway, let me help you out. First off, when you said some of the temperatures you were getting were in the 90's and at one point you said it was at 97, those temperatures are extremely high and at that point you can get damage. Personally, i wouldn't let the CPU go above 70C on full load. Once you reach the range of 90's...or even 80's, its way to hot for comfort. About your full load dropping that much, it could something as simple as voltages. For example, my i7 idles at 24 Celsius, in the winter, and usually around 26-29 in the hot days of summer, sometimes the voltages can do it, if you motherboard is feeding to much voltage. Sometimes my motherboard can give extra and my CPU gets a much higher temp, but i am not sure. Next, 80C is not really dangerous "theoretically" but i wouldn't experiment on it...especially not on a 300$ CPU if that is a significant amount of money for you. I wouldn't let get over 70C...ever. Theoretically, the i7 takes damage at around 100C (moreover just because your temp senser says its 97 doesn't mean anything, they can be inaccurate).

Cable management...it depends. If your cable are really intrusive onto the fans and are obnoxiously blocking airflow in the case than it can affect temps a lot. If you just tie them up and they are out of the way of air current, like on the side, or hidden in a drive bay than it won't really affect it much.

Oh and this is the right forum, i was just being an ***, my apologies.
m
l
April 29, 2010 3:05:35 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Hey, you have my sincerest apologies for misrepresenting the forum and being very rude. I kind of went out of control.

But anyway, let me help you out. First off, when you said some of the temperatures you were getting were in the 90's and at one point you said it was at 97, those temperatures are extremely high and at that point you can get damage. Personally, i wouldn't let the CPU go above 70C on full load. Once you reach the range of 90's...or even 80's, its way to hot for comfort. About your full load dropping that much, it could something as simple as voltages. For example, my i7 idles at 24 Celsius, in the winter, and usually around 26-29 in the hot days of summer, sometimes the voltages can do it, if you motherboard is feeding to much voltage. Sometimes my motherboard can give extra and my CPU gets a much higher temp, but i am not sure. Next, 80C is not really dangerous "theoretically" but i wouldn't experiment on it...especially not on a 300$ CPU if that is a significant amount of money for you. I wouldn't let get over 70C...ever. Theoretically, the i7 takes damage at around 100C (moreover just because your temp senser says its 97 doesn't mean anything, they can be inaccurate).

Cable management...it depends. If your cable are really intrusive onto the fans and are obnoxiously blocking airflow in the case than it can affect temps a lot. If you just tie them up and they are out of the way of air current, like on the side, or hidden in a drive bay than it won't really affect it much.

Oh and this is the right forum, i was just being an ***, my apologies.

Blackhawk - No harm done and thanks for manning up...

I spent a little time today moving cables and wires as out of the way as possible for my case (haf 922 - so there is room to spare). I am using the Asus p6x58d premium and I believe it does throw in some extra voltage. At this point a week into this build, I am trying to diagnose if the problem is the chip, the heatsink, or something else because I would like to overclock down the road and $300 isn't insignificant in my world.

Question - does overclocking always mean higher temps? If at stock im at 80C with aftermarket cooling, overclocking doesn't seem like an option. Can one raise speed without raising voltage? If not, then it seems like I got stuck with something that needs to go back to Newegg.

Thanks!
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 29, 2010 11:00:33 PM

Overall, overclocking usually means higher temperatures, although not always very noticeable. It depends on how you overclock and to what levels you overclock. I think you can raise speed without raising voltage, it depends on your specific cpu, some people get lucky and ther cpu overclocks no-problem but others need to feed it massive voltages. IT all depends, plus i am not very knowledgeable in overclocking. However i'd RMA your CPU, seems like it has problems. And also get a good heatsin. Good ones are high-end noctua's, coolermasters, and some others. I do recommend a Cooler Master V8. I have it and can give you a personal review. Its big, its plumpy, its heavy, but it looks good and does it's job well. On prime95, my stock 920 doesn't get over 48C or so i think. Idles in the mid 20's. Remember this is on a 2.7Ghz CPU, your 2.8Ghz might be a tiny bit higher, but not significant. I might have missed which thermal paste you have, but you should pick up Artic Silver mx7 (i think its called that) or artic silver 5.
April 29, 2010 11:41:26 PM

Best answer selected by bartendalot.
m
l
May 25, 2010 2:48:44 PM

08C6 said:

Cheers,

G.

hi did you get this issue fixed? high temp in bios .. or find out what it was ,
im having the same issue with a i7 930 , over 90c in bios with fail safe defaults loaded . ? its was working fine and then , boom!

what happened? please help..

thanks.len303[at]hotmail.com
m
l
!