Sign in with
Your question

Comp won't boot

Last response: in Systems
February 19, 2010 1:03:50 AM

I've gone through the boot troubleshooting on the site, and my just built pc still won't boot. The motherboards green light comes on, but no fans spin, and no beeps. I am running an amd athlon II dual core
4gb ram
ASUS motherboard(forget model)
450 watt psu
built in video plus geforce video card

More about : comp boot

a c 80 V Motherboard
February 19, 2010 1:26:27 AM

What was the outcome of each step in the checklist? I hate to question you, but a lot of people coming here for help SAY they've gone through the checklist but very few have actually performed EVERY step in the checklist.

We need more information on your hardware too. What exact RAM kit, motherboard, and PSU do you have? Do you get any response at all when you press the power button? It's possible you just hooked up the power switch wrong. Have you tried to start the system by just shorting the pins the power switch plugs into with a screwdriver?

Do you have a system speaker installed so you can hear the BIOS error beeps?
m
l
February 19, 2010 2:07:43 AM

Its Kingston bcme16a0977 ram, asus m4a785-m motherboard, and the case and psu by power up. Bought as a barebibes from tiger direct. I did actualy complete every step with no success, and I'm not sure how I would short it with a screwdriver. I'm pretty sure the switch cord is connected correctly, I've referenced the manual many times to check. And I get absalutly no response exept for a light next to the power button flashing red and blue.
m
l
Related resources
a c 80 V Motherboard
February 19, 2010 2:12:51 AM

That still doesn't tell us much about the hardware. Do you happen to have a link to the barebones kit you bought?

What does the motherboard owners manual say about the light next to the power button?
m
l
February 19, 2010 2:24:04 AM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... and I added 2gb of the same ram.
The owners manual says nothing about the light it's in the case and there's no manual for that. I assume it's the standard light it makes when pressed, conforming that I at least have the power switch LEDs connected correctly.
m
l
a c 80 V Motherboard
February 19, 2010 2:42:16 AM

So you're 100% sure the 4-pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket is plugged in? Did you use standoffs between the case and motherboard? Did you try booting with each stick of RAM by itself? Have you tried the suggestion from the checklist to breadboard the system by building it with the motherboard outside the case to rule out a short?
m
l
February 19, 2010 2:51:12 AM

Yes. All of those things. I'm at a loss fir what else it could be.
m
l
!