[Solved] Current mobo problems also new mobo recommendations

Gallen

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
So I got myself a new computer built. Took about a month to actually put together once I got the parts and after barely even a week of use I'm getting BSOD problems. When it worked which was just for 3 days it was satisfying. One of the major things I didn't like however which I had decided wasn't worth to fret over and to just deal with it was that upon startup it would take 2 maybe 3 mins to load up all of Windows. This had me a bit drawn back as my older Compaq already built store bought computer loaded within seconds of hitting the power button. The only reason its still not in use is because I needed a gaming system and it just wasn't cutting it. Parts did not meet the requirements to run smoothly and they were simply all just too old to swap out. It was just cheaper at that point to build a completely new system.

Anyway slow startup aside my major problem right now is that on my new computer I keep getting the blue screen. It also likes to show it briefly, start up Windows and blue screen again. When I have been able to get a good look at the messages I noticed every time its something different. One time I saw it say memory_management and another time was system_service_exception. There have been others I was not able to read what they said since it would quickly switch off to try and start Windows again. Sometimes I would also just see a series of numbers only with STOP along the lines. The blue screening would also happen not as regularly at first. It would make it to Windows and allow me enough time to try and find the error messages which would tell me nothing other than the system had shut down unexpectedly then maybe 2 mins in blue screen again. Now it just immediately and always blue screens when turned on.

I checked the memory and can't find any reason why that'd be the problem as they haven't failed any tests done to them. The system reads that all 4gigs are there and report no errors. Even switched the sticks around. (And yes they're in their proper colored slots) yet while testing in safe mode its telling me there IS a hardware problem its just not telling me what.

I'm beginning to think even after cleaning the drivers and reinstalling when I get the chance to that the motherboard may be wonky and if it is I'd like a recommendation on a new different board. Preferably thanks to this experience I would like it not to be a Gigabyte board. Not saying its a bad brand but I have a bad taste in my mouth now. Doesn't help that my friends board is a Gigabyte too and also starts up incredibly slow. (its an older model from mine)

However if its not the motherboard I am still opening to suggestions on what the problem could be, if it still leads to that this motherboard is sensitive and known to not always being stable then I would still like to know of another that's not going to give me a headache.

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P (LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard w/ USB 3.0 & SATA 6 Gb/s)
Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
Windows 7 64 Home

The questions I have are:

1. Is your OS a genuine copy? Sometimes torrent versions can be bad copies because files are sometimes missing.

2. What kind of memory tests have you done? Windows 7 has a memory tester, but it doesn't test as rigorously as MemTest86+ , so if you haven't already, download and burn MT86+ to a cd.

3. How long are you able to use Safe Mode? if you can use safe mode without too many problems, then there is a strong possibility that the OS installation is bad.

4. Did you reuse the hard drive from your Compaq? If so, then the problem is incompatability.

Gallen

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
My OS is genuine. I don't cut corners with software too risky imo.

I haven't tried MemTest86+ but I'll check it out. I've only done Windows Memory Diagnostic tool.

Safe Mode doesn't stay stable either. It lasted 3 mins one time then went back to blue screen and reboot.

And yes I reused my harddrive from my Compaq but its for extra storage and had wiped it clean. I have another new harddrive installed which is where I have everything running from.

Gallen

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Ran MemTest. No problems there. Was stumped and frustrated so I took it to my friend who helped me build it. He had absolutely no problems when I gave it to him. He said he shut it down started up several time and not once came across the blue screen. He did say I had two anti virus' running which is always a bad thing (which I didnt even know I had) took one off to prevent problems. We also think another problem was when I had it plugged into my apartment it wasn't getting enough juice. Going to take it home tonight and plug it in elsewhere and away from other electronics that may be just as power demanding.

I'm still not marking this thread as solved yet as I want to make sure I've found no further problems and don't want to add clutter to the board. I'll give an update in a week hopefully not sooner.

Gallen

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
So I think I found out what the problem was after going over everything else that could be majorly wrong. After being pretty sure there was no hardware failure, I took it home last-night, plugged it in and immediately got the blue screen. I was furious by then because it was running fine at my friends house with 5 hours of monitoring. He also had it running on his power strip keep in mind.

I ruled out that it wasn't my own power strip going bad like I thought because I plugged computer directly into the outlet in a different room, which ran fine for 5 mins and then blue screened on me. It then hit me the power cord itself is just simply bad. For it to run fine at my friends 0 problems (I didn't bring my cords so therefore he used his own) and then for it to not work for me the moment I turned it on just seemed so incredibly wrong. So I switched the power cord that was on my monitor with the one my PC itself was using and it's running fine now. So now I have to buy a new power cord because my monitor is going to have a blast flickering off, which I prefer be that than my computer shutting down.

I just feel silly for overlooking this. Here I was going over every worse case scenario and it was just my power cord. A cord.

TRENDING THREADS