Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HD4850 and CoH?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2010 1:07:39 AM

Hi, I own a HIS HD4850 1GB with a dual slot cooler.
I can max out on almost all games except Crysis (who can? lol).
Most games run flawlessly with 4x AA and 16x AF cranked on.
The card is running at 700Mhz core clock and 1000Mhz memory clock, pretty stable at 45 C idle and 65 C under load.
However, when I play Company of Heroes, it does not seem to perform as it should.
At the start of the game it is pretty smooth, but as the game progresses it tends to slow down a lot.
I thought the slowdown was due to the increase in the number of units. Doesn't that concern the CPU more than the GPU?
I mean, the graphic card will not have to render everything on the map constantly, just the things on the screen.
Also, when I rotate around the view using Alt key and make it a horizontal view, it drops below 20fps, especially on larger maps. Is this normal?

I have a Athlon x2 Puma 7750 as a CPU, and I have 4GB RAM under Vista Ultimate 32-bit.
All my important drivers are up to date, onboard video is turned off, using DX9, running at 2048x1152 res.

Any info on this would be helpful =)

More about : hd4850 coh

February 10, 2010 5:51:41 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Try playing at a lower resolution,2048x1152 is a little too much for a HD 4850,lower the resolution and check how it performs
m
l

Best solution

February 10, 2010 6:17:44 AM

try lowering it at 1680x1050. i think the cpu is also the bottleneck. oh, and upgrade to a 64bit of windows since you are using a 4gb ram. 32bit only allows up to 3gb as useable memory, so your 1gb is rendered useless.
Related resources
February 10, 2010 7:33:01 AM

Agree, playing at 2048x1152 is a little bit hard for 4850, lowering it can help u much... :) 
m
l
February 10, 2010 4:28:35 PM

If its running all your other games well then I would say your GPU is not the problem. It is most definitely the CPU. Its getting bogged down with all the unit AI calculations.

I would recommend OCing the CPU, since its probably a black edition this should be pretty easy.
m
l
February 11, 2010 1:27:31 AM

Quote:
If its running all your other games well then I would say your GPU is not the problem. It is most definitely the CPU. Its getting bogged down with all the unit AI calculations.

I would recommend OCing the CPU, since its probably a black edition this should be pretty easy.

Yeah I would trying OCing it further, but my 7750 is currently set at 3.0GHz, and I am scared to go further because of what people said about it.
And I tried running at a lower resolution, but it didn't give me a noticeable change, and screen rotation is still stuttery (I really want to know how to make this smooth).
So I definitely think it's the CPU, since when I check the CPU usage during the game it stays at 100% all the time, EVEN WITH PHYSICS OFF.
Physics would be a nice addition to the graphics...
I have a Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H motherboard, and if I buy a new CPU with a decent performance boost and a decent budget, what should my choice be?
I think getting a quad would really help with full options in CoH, what should I go for?
Thanks all!
m
l
February 18, 2010 1:21:27 AM

Best answer selected by jyparkcan.
m
l
!