Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from 550ti to "blank"

Last response: in Overclocking
November 29, 2012 8:36:39 PM

I have done some research and have asked on various different forums about different video cards, but never really came to a final decision because I either felt like I was going overboard or under what I actually need.

I currently have a gtx 550 ti and it does everything I need it to do in terms of gaming but it will not support more than 2 monitors.

I plan to have a 5 monitor setup. 4 lcd screens + 1 tv across the room.

I don't plan on using more than 1 screen for all the games I play. No eyefinity or surround needed. I just need to be able to run other tasks on the other monitors while I play a game on my main monitor.

Here is a picture of how I am planning to set it up.

http://i47.tinypic.com/33ykjy9.jpg

I dont play graphic intensive games like bf3 or skyrim. Most graphic intensive game I play is probably cs:go but barely even play that.

I play cs 1.6 / LoL.

I prefer nvidia cards over amd cards.

My top choice was gtx 660 non ti but I dont think it can run 5 monitors unless I use 2 video cards in non-sli mode. So I think nvidia cards are out the question unless someone can tell me for a fact that you can run 5 monitors in sli mode.

If I can't use nvidia cards for what I want then I think it comes down to 7870 vs 7850. I am really interested in the 7850 though. Mainly because of it's price.

Feel free to comment and give your thoughts on what would be the best fit for my needs. Thanks.

More about : upgrading 550ti blank

November 29, 2012 8:37:13 PM

Sorry for the horrible picture. lol. I tried my best to use windows paint xD
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2012 8:41:41 PM

I can't comment on the nvidia question, but as for AMD cards, the 7950 is very compelling but I don't know your budget. Make sure whichever AMD card you look at, that you are getting the Eyefinity version. I think the non-eyefinity models can only do 2 monitors at once, regardless of the actual connectors on the back of the card.

edit - there is also Eyefinity 6, which you guessed it allows 6 screens at once.
November 29, 2012 8:51:27 PM

I also read rumors than the AMD 8xxx series are going to be released around winter time. So should I wait until they release those and hope the 7 series prices drop?
!