Who tries harder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Some of you readers may have read my earlier post as to enquir about various
manufacturers aftersales service and most had negative replies to tell me to
avoid. Anyway, I'd like to find out from you end users who've had to deal
with 1st line support, all the good experiences you've had like if the
person on the other end perservered to resolve your problem or it could be
just a promised call back and they did. So come on and give praise to those
who deserve it.

Mike

Splendid

"Saint" <true.saint@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Some of you readers may have read my earlier post as to enquir about
various
> manufacturers aftersales service and most had negative replies to tell me
> avoid. Anyway, I'd like to find out from you end users who've had to deal
> with 1st line support, all the good experiences you've had like if the
> person on the other end perservered to resolve your problem or it could be
> just a promised call back and they did. So come on and give praise to
those
> who deserve it.

no ones perfect but in my experience:

Dell - Good
HP - Good
Acer - Utter Shite

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>Some of you readers may have read my earlier post as to enquir about various
>manufacturers aftersales service and most had negative replies to tell me to
>avoid. Anyway, I'd like to find out from you end users who've had to deal
>with 1st line support, all the good experiences you've had like if the
>person on the other end perservered to resolve your problem or it could be
>just a promised call back and they did. So come on and give praise to those
>who deserve it.

Dell- absolute joke (phone wait times 3+ hrs)
Toshiba- very good (phone wait times 3 minutes)
Sony- ? (don't know and will never find out)

------------
When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Saint" <true.saint@virgin.net> wrote in

> Some of you readers may have read my earlier post as to enquir about
> various manufacturers aftersales service and most had negative replies
> to tell me to avoid. Anyway, I'd like to find out from you end users
> who've had to deal with 1st line support, all the good experiences
> you've had like if the person on the other end perservered to resolve
> your problem or it could be just a promised call back and they did.
> So come on and give praise to those who deserve it.

My Tecra S1 purchased in the US had a problem common with these machines
the modem failed, but they had me re-install windows etc before they told
me that it needed to be sent for repair. This was on Monday they collected
the machine on Tuesday and returned it on Friday working & cleaned!

I was pleased with this level of service!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

With respect to customer support, they are all pretty much equal ... they
don't try at all. I've had DELL (2), Compaq (2), Sony VAIO (1), and I now
have a Toshiba Satellite.

While DELL admittedly is easier to get in touch with, long hold times
followed by ridiculously idiotic scripts the phone people follow, will not
lead to a solution. You might get lucky after wasting much time on the
phone and demanding higher-ups after many attempts, but it's rare. If the
computer is less than 30 days old, it may be easier just to demand a
replacement than to try to get something fixed.

I was a loyal DELL customer from the beginning, when they were a fledgling
company trying to prove themselves. Back then, they had no choice but to go
out of their way to please their customers, but it's gone severely downhill
over the last 6 or so years.

Sony and Toshiba are just as bad, except you have to either find support
from their self help web site offerings or via email. With Sony, you could
wait forever. I gave up on an email I sent to Sony, and lo and behold, 6
months later I received a response which was totally irrelevant to the
problem I had. Toshiba will just reply with a link to an FAQ, although they
did reply in a reasonable amount of time.

Oddly enough, if I had to pick a winner out of the four brands I've owned,
it would be Compaq. It seems they were the most helpful in my particular
experiences. If this were maybe 10 years ago, I'd have chosen DELL in a
minute, but could not do so based on their operations today.

These are my experiences. Fortunately, I know enough to seek out my own
resources when problems arise. I build my own desktops, so no need for
support there, if I could build my own laptops, I would be happy to supply
my own service, but it's not so easy with laptops. Google and the news
groups have become my closest friends lately.

"Saint" <true.saint@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Some of you readers may have read my earlier post as to enquir about
> various
> manufacturers aftersales service and most had negative replies to tell me
> avoid. Anyway, I'd like to find out from you end users who've had to deal
> with 1st line support, all the good experiences you've had like if the
> person on the other end perservered to resolve your problem or it could be
> just a promised call back and they did. So come on and give praise to
> those
> who deserve it.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Saint" <true.saint@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Some of you readers may have read my earlier post
> as to enquir about various manufacturers aftersales
> service and most had negative replies to tell me to
> avoid. Anyway, I'd like to find out from you end
> users who've had to deal with 1st line support,
> all the good experiences you've had like if the
> person on the other end perservered to resolve
> your problem or it could be just a promised call
> back and they did. So come on and give praise to
> those who deserve it.

In order:

1) Panasonic
2) Fujitsu
3) IBM

All the others were
unacceptable (in my
experience). YMMV,
of course.

dk

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I was not satisfied with Dell's home user support. There were long cues and
wait times and my problems were not solved. Also, promises to call me back
were not kept. I discovered later though that I was eligible for their
corporate support and that was a totally different situation. Absolutely NO
waiting at all. It was as if I directly dialed a friend's house. I dialed
the number and he picked up the phone. The advice was helpful and the
person was pleasant and didn't talk down to me.

"Guess Who" <chippe01@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> With respect to customer support, they are all pretty much equal ... they
> don't try at all. I've had DELL (2), Compaq (2), Sony VAIO (1), and I
now
> have a Toshiba Satellite.
>
> While DELL admittedly is easier to get in touch with, long hold times
> followed by ridiculously idiotic scripts the phone people follow, will not
> lead to a solution. You might get lucky after wasting much time on the
> phone and demanding higher-ups after many attempts, but it's rare. If the
> computer is less than 30 days old, it may be easier just to demand a
> replacement than to try to get something fixed.
>
> I was a loyal DELL customer from the beginning, when they were a fledgling
> company trying to prove themselves. Back then, they had no choice but to
go
> out of their way to please their customers, but it's gone severely
downhill
> over the last 6 or so years.
>
> Sony and Toshiba are just as bad, except you have to either find support
> from their self help web site offerings or via email. With Sony, you
could
> wait forever. I gave up on an email I sent to Sony, and lo and behold, 6
> months later I received a response which was totally irrelevant to the
> problem I had. Toshiba will just reply with a link to an FAQ, although
they
> did reply in a reasonable amount of time.
>
> Oddly enough, if I had to pick a winner out of the four brands I've owned,
> it would be Compaq. It seems they were the most helpful in my particular
> experiences. If this were maybe 10 years ago, I'd have chosen DELL in a
> minute, but could not do so based on their operations today.
>
> These are my experiences. Fortunately, I know enough to seek out my own
> resources when problems arise. I build my own desktops, so no need for
> support there, if I could build my own laptops, I would be happy to supply
> my own service, but it's not so easy with laptops. Google and the news
> groups have become my closest friends lately.
>

> "Saint" <true.saint@virgin.net> wrote in message
> > Some of you readers may have read my earlier post as to enquir about
> > various
> > manufacturers aftersales service and most had negative replies to tell
me
> > avoid. Anyway, I'd like to find out from you end users who've had to
deal
> > with 1st line support, all the good experiences you've had like if the
> > person on the other end perservered to resolve your problem or it could
be
> > just a promised call back and they did. So come on and give praise to
> > those
> > who deserve it.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

IBM are superb.

Graham.

"Saint" <true.saint@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Some of you readers may have read my earlier post as to enquir about
various
> manufacturers aftersales service and most had negative replies to tell me
> avoid. Anyway, I'd like to find out from you end users who've had to deal
> with 1st line support, all the good experiences you've had like if the
> person on the other end perservered to resolve your problem or it could be
> just a promised call back and they did. So come on and give praise to
those
> who deserve it.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Dell- absolute joke (phone wait times 3+ hrs)

My first pc was with a small local manufacturer which turned into a
nightmare as the machine stayed in their place more than mine, so I decided
to try the big players instead. My experiences with Dell support, around 4
years back, was like dealing with a kid fresh from a YTS scheme though the
wait was somewhat less than the 3+ hours. My -many- experiences with
Gateway 2000(Europe) were averaging 3 hrs, but then on a freephone number
because they had less YTS boys working for them. On one rare occassion, the
switchboard malfunctioned and I got passed onto corperate support and it was
better because he wasn't reciting but thinking despite it not being
resolved.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Guess Who" <chippe01@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> With respect to customer support, they are all pretty much equal ... they
> don't try at all. I've had DELL (2), Compaq (2), Sony VAIO (1), and I
now
> have a Toshiba Satellite.
>
> While DELL admittedly is easier to get in touch with, long hold times
> followed by ridiculously idiotic scripts the phone people follow, will not
> lead to a solution.

This timewasting is what gets up most peoples' noses more than anything.

> if the computer is less than 30 days old, it may be easier just to demand
> replacement than to try to get something fixed.

Have to get past 1st line support first.

> Google and the news
> groups have become my closest friends lately.

I think this is the way most users are headed to resolve issues which is
quite scandalous considering how much money they take off us in the first
place.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In an attempt to resolve an ongoing hardware issue with one giant Korean
manufacturer's 1st line support, I called them this morning and was
pleasantly suprised when the one on the other end took his own initiative
and resolved it quickly and efficiently. One can conclude that the bad
apples of the team can discredit an entire company's profile. Supervisors
take note of those recordings!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I paid for enhanced support when I bought my Dell, and also have accidents
covered. My phone waits are typically about 5 minutes or less. They do
usually have you walk through several things you've already tried before
they get to something that actually helps, but I'm not sure whether there is
really a better way to do it on the phone. I had heard so many negative
things about Dell support I decided to just factor the cost of the enhanced
support into the cost of the machine.

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:07:51 GMT, "Chef!" <tasty.chef@virgin.net>
wrote:

>> While DELL admittedly is easier to get in touch with, long hold times
>> followed by ridiculously idiotic scripts the phone people follow, will not
>> lead to a solution.
>
>This timewasting is what gets up most peoples' noses more than anything.

The scripts are a necessary evil. In the same way that most 911
calls are about noisy neighbors or cars in trees, most tech calls are
from someone who forgot to plug in the computer or can't find the ANY
key. I've noticed that with IBM, once the tech catches on I have a
clue, they skip the script and we get on with solving the problem.
That varies, though, probably depending on the tech's experience.
Emanuel

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 17 Aug 2004 21:13:29 GMT, Martin Ktech <wahalla88@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Saint" <true.saint@virgin.net> wrote in
>
>> Some of you readers may have read my earlier post as to enquir about
>> various manufacturers aftersales service and most had negative replies
>> to tell me to avoid. Anyway, I'd like to find out from you end users
>> who've had to deal with 1st line support, all the good experiences
>> you've had like if the person on the other end perservered to resolve
>> your problem or it could be just a promised call back and they did.
>> So come on and give praise to those who deserve it.
>>

>My Tecra S1 purchased in the US had a problem common with these machines
>the modem failed, but they had me re-install windows etc before they told
>me that it needed to be sent for repair. This was on Monday they collected
>the machine on Tuesday and returned it on Friday working & cleaned!
>
>I was pleased with this level of service!

I had a similar experience with Toshiba.. After owning various laptops
over the years, the Toshiba I have now broke down, I rang Toshiba
Australia and they had a courier pick it up from my house that day and
return it the next working day in perfect working condition.
Probaby the reason I keep only buying Toshiba :)