Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking MSI Gtx 680 Lightning edition.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • MSI
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
November 30, 2012 2:12:19 AM

Hello, I have recently purchased/ordered a MSI Geforce GTX 680 Lightning Edition graphics card. I'm planning to flashback the bios, so that I overvolt the card.
My questions are:
1. Is it safe to put the slider all the way to 300% on air cooling? If not what is a safe voltage? If, so will this cause my GPU to not last as long. (Talking about shortening its life to less than 2 - 3 years)? And is there anything of concern that I should look out for?

2. Can you give me some stable overclocks that you or other people have achieved with this card (Please include screenshots or some form of proof) and if you use this overclock in order to game and do other stuff on a day to day basis?

3. Temperatures of the GPU at this voltage? With or without manual fan control or settings.

Thank you for your time and help. Greatly appreciated as I'm not extremely experienced with overclocking.

More about : overclocking msi gtx 680 lightning edition

a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2012 9:28:19 AM

(1.)No(1.5) There is no set timelline for overclocked cards.
(2.)No because a person stable overclock will not work from card to card I suggest you research the whole process.
(3.) Temp of you gpu will rise significantly with up gpu core/memory/voltage. The 680 is much better with auto fan control. but with an overclock i would not recommend using it. Also your lighting will be made of higher grade components a better heat sink and fans so you all set for low to mid level overclocking.

Something a lot of us due is leave the memory alone and just add core overclocking as with the ddr5 you never really hit near its full bandwidth anyway.
m
l
!