Reuse Case or Buy New?

ms99

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I have an older Sony Viao desktop (PCV RS630) I plan to gut and totally rebuild. Can I reuse the case? Or should I buy new? Plans: Asus P6T6 WS Revolution Intel I7-920 / 12gb Corsair dominator memory Corsair 850w ps EVGA GeForce GTS 250 1gb video card Reuse or replace?

You need to check if the case only allows propreitary motherboards or standard sizes as well. Some prebuilt PC vendors have specially created parts so that the customer must come back to them for new parts or replacements.

A couple of notes on the rest of your build listed. Most, if not all, of the parts there are very poor choices. That mobo is very expensive and has very few features. Corsair memory is just plain overpriced. You can get faster sticks from G.Skill, OCZ, Mushkin and some others for under half the cost of Corsairs. The 850W Corsiar PSU is also slightly overpriced against others like the Silverstone 850W 80 Plus Silver Certified. nVidia is a horrible choice for GPUs right now.

I highly recommend you creating a SINGLE new thread following the guideline from the link in my signature. We can likely put together a build that will be better than what you've got there if we had more information.