Poor video playback

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Movies
  • Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2010 5:16:10 AM

I just bought a new laptop and having a little problem playing movies. When I play avi or mkv video files I occasionally get moments where the playback gets choppy and slows down. The problem happens with both windows media player and BSplayer. It is not reproducible and always happens at different points in the video, so I don't think its a problem with the actual video files.

I've tracked cpu and memory usage while watching movies and I find that my cpu usage fluctuates between about 5-10% and memory usage sits at a constant 1.6 GB. Nothing I have ever done with this computer has managed to use more than 2 GB of memory.

I would really appreciate if someone can suggest places I should be looking to find the cause of this problem. Thank you!

Here's some info on my system, which I really think should be capable of playing a movie file without freezing up!

Toshiba Qosmio F60-00M
Core i5-430M 2.26 GHz
6 GB DDR3 1066 MHz
640 GB Hard Drive 5400 RPM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Dedicated video memory 1024 MB
Shared video memory 2744MB

Running Windows 7 Home Premium
I have done my best to minimize applications running in the background, although I am running Norton IS 2010.

More about : poor video playback

a c 189 U Graphics card
February 10, 2010 8:14:00 AM

Are u sure all of the drivers are installed properly??
m
l
February 10, 2010 7:24:37 PM

r u infected?
m
l
February 11, 2010 4:08:41 AM

Thanks for the replies! I've realized that I actually have other performance issues, unrelated to the graphics. I will probably try a full recovery of the weekend to make sure I didn't mess something up when I removed all the crapware.

I do have a few more questions however:

wa1 said:
Are u sure all of the drivers are installed properly??

I've checked every driver through the Windows 7 device manager, and attempted the update driver function. Is this reliable, or do I need to download all the drivers and update them manually?

I use Norton and Windows Task manager to track my cpu and memory usage. Is there any easy way I can see how my video card and video memory are performing?

chinafreak said:
r u infected?

I don't think I'm infected. This computer has had Norton up to date and running since it came out of the box. On the other hand, I did a full scan tonight which helped me to realize that the computer has other problems. The full Norton scan took 2 hours at about 2-8% cpu usage, and the computer was basically incapable of other tasks in the meantime. Firefox took over 5 minutes to open, and was incapable of loading a webpage while the scan was running!

In comparison, I also ran a full scan on my work laptop, which sports a low voltage processor clocked at 800 MHz and Windows 7 pro. It took less than half the time, running at about 50-60% cpu usuage, and the computer handled other programs (like firefox and thunderbird) without problems during the scan.
m
l
!