DVD-RAM on QSI SBW-241 DVD-ROM Drive

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2004 2:33:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops (More info?)

Dear all,

I have a Laptop (Sony Vaio PCG-FRV26) with a DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive (QSI
SBW-241). I am trying to read a DVD-RAM disc (Panasonic 120min/4.7GB,
2-3x speed) with it. I know that in general DVD-ROM drives cannot read
DVD-RAM discs, but I have read that some modern drives are able to
after a firmware upgrade.

My question is, is there a firmware available for this particular
DVD-ROM drive that would enable it to read DVD-RAM discs.

Any help would be appreciated. Many Thanks.

RG
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2004 9:49:46 PM

<rg1117@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> I have a Laptop (Sony Vaio PCG-FRV26) with a DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive (QSI
> SBW-241). I am trying to read a DVD-RAM disc (Panasonic 120min/4.7GB,
> 2-3x speed) with it. I know that in general DVD-ROM drives cannot read
> DVD-RAM discs, but I have read that some modern drives are able to
> after a firmware upgrade.
>
> My question is, is there a firmware available for this particular
> DVD-ROM drive that would enable it to read DVD-RAM discs.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Many Thanks.
>
> RG

Don't know how current this list is but this link provides a list of DVD-ROM
drives capable of reading DVD-RAM type 2 disks

HTH

Nelson
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2004 10:19:04 PM

"Nelson Lee" <nelsonycl@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> <rg1117@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have a Laptop (Sony Vaio PCG-FRV26) with a DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive (QSI
> > SBW-241). I am trying to read a DVD-RAM disc (Panasonic 120min/4.7GB,
> > 2-3x speed) with it. I know that in general DVD-ROM drives cannot read
> > DVD-RAM discs, but I have read that some modern drives are able to
> > after a firmware upgrade.
> >
> > My question is, is there a firmware available for this particular
> > DVD-ROM drive that would enable it to read DVD-RAM discs.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated. Many Thanks.
> >
> > RG
>
> Don't know how current this list is but this link provides a list of
DVD-ROM
> drives capable of reading DVD-RAM type 2 disks
>
> HTH
>
> Nelson

Oops, it would help if I included the link

http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/ram/ram0...
!