joetro

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
While not new to the PC world, I am new to AMD. I ended up with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 that came in a machine with a bad motherboard. I figured, "What the heck" and ordered the Biostar A770E, as the price was right and it (supposedly) supports my CPU. However, upon attempting to install the CPU, I find it doesn't fit. While none of the things I've read about it specifically state that a Socket 939 CPU fits the AM2, things seem to imply that it will. Well, it doesn't. Is there something I'm missing? I never had this sort of issue with my Intel CPUs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

joetro

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply, Falcon. I suppose, since I bought open-box from Newegg, I should probably go ahead and get a CPU that will fit the board. Upside is that it looks like I'll have a better CPU than I have in my mitts now and can probably sell this one to help pay for the new on.

Now, the Biostar supposedly supports AM3, even says so on its site, but the socket is marked AM2. Will I be okay with an AM3 CPU and, if so, what do you recommend?

I do appreciate the help.

That board you listed is an AM2+ board. AM2+ will take AM2, AM2+ or AM3 cpu's. The only downside is that AM3 cpu's run about 5% slower with DDR2 than on DDR3.