Connect HDTV to HD5870

baldrrr

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Hi,

I am trying to connect my Samsung HDTV to my HD5870 using a hdmi cable on Win7 64bit using the latest Catalyst drivers. When I plug in the tv before starting up the PC, the desktop is extended on both my LCD monitor and my TV. However, the TV is made primary and my monitor secondary, which is annoying since the TV is behind the corner and I cannot sere it from my PC. If I try switching the order of the monitors (two ways in Catalyst to do that), or I try running the basic wizard, both screens go black and I have to reboot.

Alternatively, when I try to hot-plug the TV when the PC is already running, both screens go black immediately.

Any ideas what could be the cause, and how to solve it?

Specs:
MSI Eclipse SLi X58
Intel i7-920
Radeon HD5870
12GB DDR3 Triple Channel Ram
Win7 64bit + Catalyst 9.12
22" Samsung SyncMaster LED Monitor via DVI
32" Samsung HDTV via HDMI

jura11

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Hi there i have XFX 5870,but i have connected my 27 lcd to card via HDMI,but without problems,just in W7 select duplicate these display,no extend.

leon2006

Distinguished
You don't need to do connection of the cable. The Physical connection does not matter.

Connect the HDTV(HDMI) and LCD(DVI or converted to HDMI)...Boot your computer. It will come up with the HDTV as the primary monitor and the LCD as the secondary monitor.

On Desktop Right Click your Mouse and Select "Personalize")
Then select Display Settings
On Display Settings on top you will see 2 display. On the left is the HDTV designated as the primary display. On the right is the LCD as extended Monitor

Using your mice DRAG the LCD-Monitor to the Left. That will switch the postions of the display. Select your LCD and the bottom Click the check-box (This is my main monitor). That will designate your LCD as the main monitor. The HDTV there is check-box at the bottom for"Extend the desktop on this monitor".

After this all the desktop icons and menu will be switched to the LCD screen. Your desktop space will be LCD(LEFT Primary Display) and HDTV(Desktop extension) on the right.

I have the same setup as what you are trying to do.... I have 24Inch LCD display as the primary display and HDTV as the secondary display. My physical connection is reversed. The primary DVI/HDMI connector is connected on the HDTV and the secondary DVI/HDMI is connected to the LCD.

baldrrr

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Thanks for your replies!

>DRAG the LCD-Monitor to the Left. That will switch the postions of the display. Select your LCD and the bottom Click the >check-box (This is my main monitor). That will designate your LCD as the main monitor. The HDTV there is check-box at >the bottom for"Extend the desktop on this monitor".

Sure, OK, I did it as you described, but when I do that the screens go black, without further ado, and I end up having to reboot. Maybe I should reinstall the driver.

>You don't need to do HOT-plug connection for your video card/display. Avoid doing that you risk destroying your video card or display ports.

I am aware of that, but since the other way did not work, I tried it once. Not that it was any good, won't try again--

baldrrr

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Hi again!

I fumbled around a bit more, and, you were right! It does work as you said it would. The mistake was that I was switching desktops using Catalyst Control Center. That gives problems. However, using the windows desktop settings as you said, DOES work!

@leon2006
Thanks mate! It was really simple, you are right!