Sign in with
Your question

Product key

Last response: in Windows XP
October 12, 2012 7:00:21 PM

Hey guys, I recently installed a new copy of windows xp on to an old computer whose HD crashed a while back. First time i ever installed an OS so i wasn't sure what to expect, but it never asked for the product key. So my question is, will it eventually, or is this information stored on the motherboard not the HDD. I installed all the updates, and i can connect to the internet and everything. :heink: 

Thanks

More about : product key

October 12, 2012 10:26:31 PM

It depends really. If you are installing Windows on some brand name computers, let's just say Asus for example, if you are using the Asus restore media on an Asus computer, you won't necessarily need to enter in a product key or activate the copy of Windows.

If that isn't what you did, then I would tend to suspect that you have a pirated copy of Windows that is, at least thus far, evading detection.
m
l
October 13, 2012 1:16:03 AM

With some branded computers like dell and hp if you have the media designed for that computer it will sometimes not have to be activated.
m
l
October 13, 2012 6:24:25 PM

cl-scott said:
It depends really. If you are installing Windows on some brand name computers, let's just say Asus for example, if you are using the Asus restore media on an Asus computer, you won't necessarily need to enter in a product key or activate the copy of Windows.

If that isn't what you did, then I would tend to suspect that you have a pirated copy of Windows that is, at least thus far, evading detection.

SR-71 Blackbird said:
With some branded computers like dell and hp if you have the media designed for that computer it will sometimes not have to be activated.

m
l
!