Sign in with
Your question

FX-8350 + ASUS M5A99X Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
November 30, 2012 12:35:14 PM

Ok, so I recently overhauled my rig this week, and am getting into the guts of this new UEFI BIOS that the ASUS M5A99X is using. I've got the system (seemingly) stable at 4.9GHz [204 x 24 multi] with 1.50v Vcore. There are SO many more settings in this UEFI BIOS than were in my old ASUS P6X58D BIOS, it's unbelievable.

If necessary, I can list each and every value I've tweaked thus far. Naturally, I've disabled all of the power saving crap, such as APM, ErP, C1E, and "Multi Core" technology. I've got my Phase power to Xtreme, and LLC to HIGH for both the CPU and the CPU/NB. Memory timings and voltages have been left to AUTO for the time being, and I'm running DDR3 G. Skill 1866.

Any/all input is welcome, and would be appreciated, as far as helping me get to a stable 5.0 GHz. However, my question is specific to the NB. First, should I be altering the NB speed? I've left it set to AUTO for the time being. I've read that it should be 3x the speed of the RAM... Second, should I alter the voltage of the NB? Again, that has been left to AUTO for the time being. I believe the system was locking up while at 5.0GHz because the CPU was simply getting too hot (right around 65 deg C), although I can't be positive. I'm running the Thermaltake Water2.0 Performer on the CPU, and tbh I'm a bit disappointed with it. Although to be fair the ambient temps in my downstairs are 80+ degrees, due to the heat pump I run down there. It certainly doesn't help matters when it comes to overclocking.

I'm perfectly fine with leaving it at 4.9GHz if I'm limited by CPU temp, although it'd be nice to crack the 5.0GHz barrier. ;)  I've not yet had the chance to stress test the system as I'd like to @ 4.9GHz, so I won't swear that it's 150% stable. It seemed to be for a good hr of gaming last night, and the system ran through the night ghosting an image of my SSD (I know, not really that taxing on the CPU).

So to summarize, any input from those running the ASUS UEFI BIOS would be greatly appreciated, specifically regarding the NB... Although I'd love to learn more about other settings as well. :D  I'm sure I could be enlightened. Thanks in advance!
December 12, 2012 10:28:17 AM

Hey, I wouldn't mind some screens or details of what you have changed in the UEFI Bios. I have just bought the FX-8350 - although am running on the M5A97 Pro..

So far I'm not having much fun trying in the overclocking department in terms of stability - I'm sort of learning about it on the fly - but I am yet to find a guide that translates well to the UEFI Bios
m
l
December 12, 2012 11:56:36 AM

Sure adz, I will try to get some screenshots for you tonight. By the way, I'm stable @ 5.0GHz at the moment. :D 
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2012 12:08:33 PM

Wowsers! That's pretty good going! What are your temps like?
m
l
December 12, 2012 1:32:53 PM

Well, I have two 250CFM fans coming tonight for my radiator (setting them up push/pull style)... They are 120mm x 38mm, so I got longer 6-32 screws from the hardware store. Fans I've got on there now each move 120CFM, and I generally see idle temps around 38-40 deg C (it's incredibly warm in my downstairs, 80+ degrees). Then under a full load I'm seeing around 58 deg C with a 1.51v core voltage. FWIW, in most games the CPU doesn't get over 52 deg C. Again though, this is with 120CFM fans. I anticipate the temps will drop 5-7 deg C with these crazy new jet turbine like fans. :p  Haha
m
l
December 12, 2012 1:56:47 PM

Not as High as I thought it would be! And yeah, I've noticed Temperatures soar during Prime95 tests for example, but don't quite get as high during gameplay. I'm almost at my wits end with my system at the moment!

I just can't get it running anywhere near where I expected it to when I bought the bits.

I'm pretty sure I'm not setting up the overclock right, because I would expect higher benchmark scores than I'm getting mainly seem to be falling over on physics and combined scores on 3dmark 11 (compared to searches for similar hardware setups on 3dmark website)

specs are in my profile if curious!
m
l
December 12, 2012 2:12:28 PM

Trust me, I totally understand where you're coming from. I was in that same boat when I was trying to get my initial overclock stable. :\ It was beyond frustrating, and with this new UEFI BIOS it can be a bit intimidating. There are FAR more settings than I was ever used to dealing with when I had my ASUS P6X58D. Lastly, it's worth noting that I switched from the TT Water 2.0 Performer to the Water 2.0 Pro. The Pro has a radiator which is roughly twice as thick as the Performer's. I also threw the two 120mm fans it came with right in the garbage, and switched them out for higher flow fans.

First off, what are your goals as far as your overclock is concerned? How far are you looking to take the system? Secondly, what have you changed thus far in the BIOS?

Vcore - ???
CPU clock and multi - ???
NB/CPU voltage - ???
NB freq - ???
HT freq - ???
LLC - ???
APM and CPU - ??? (Hopefully 'Disabled')
RAM voltage - ???
RAM timing -???
Phase power - ???

That's just grazing the tip of the iceberg, but it'd help to know what your goals are and what your current settings are. :)  You'll get there. Just be persistent and be determined. Remember, correct overclocking is incredibly time consuming, and can consist of a lot of trial and error at times. Just be very cautious, go up in small increments, and watch those temps.
m
l
December 12, 2012 2:15:27 PM

I don't know why the hell it won't let me edit that last message... No reason I shouldn't be able to. Anyway, it's supposed to read "APM and EPU", not "APM and CPU". The EPU is an energy saving feature, and should be disabled.
m
l
December 12, 2012 4:04:31 PM

At the moment, with the exception of the power saving etc, everything is set to Auto. I did fiddle about with the multiplier and the voltages a little last night But have gone back down to stock as high temps and the old BSOD were becoming an issue on full load.

Basically my goal is to squeeze as much out of my system as possible, I'm not overly concerned with energy efficiency, but this rig is mainly only on to game. To be honest, the only game that even got me thinking about upgrading the sodding thing was ARMA II, which as I'm sure you are aware is insanely processor intensive! On paper it all looked great, but something, somewhere is going wrong as i'm pulling pretty low frame rates (15-20fps average. and that's offline!) And I'm pretty sure with what I have I should be getting more.

As for overclocking - where I'm hitting a wall is understanding what everything in the UEFI bios means, I've found plenty of tutorials for overclocking etc, but most of them don't use the same terminology as what is in my Bios, and there don't seem to be many people that use it! So you can imagine my excitement when I saw you and your fairly similar set up!

Operating System : Windows 8 64bit
Processor:AMD FX-8350 stock @ 4ghz
Motherboard and RAM: ASUS M5A97 Pro
RAM: AMD /Patriot 2x4GB 1600mhz
Graphics Card: Asus ATI Radeon 7950 HD 900MHz 3GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI TOP OC
Hard Drive: OCZ Agility 3
Case: Can\'t remember - picked up from PC world
Power Supply: As above 750W though
Cooling: Corsair Hydro H80i
m
l
December 12, 2012 4:21:47 PM

I totally get where you're coming from. For example, people may ask "do you have Load Line Calibration (LLC) enabled?", while in the UEFI BIOS it's not simply "Enabled" or "Disabled". It's something like "Disabled, low, medium, high, extreme". Same with Full Phase power, if I recall correctly. In any case, I know what you mean, and it did take a bit of fiddling around with these values before I gained stability. ;)  It was absolutely NOT happy with everything left on "Auto", so that's most likely at least part of your problem.

It certainly seems that with that graphics card you'd be hitting higher frame rates. I'd absolutely take a second to peruse the BIOS and make sure any/all "APM" and "EPU" settings are disabled. Also, if present, disable "C1E" on your processor, along with the "6 core" mode (can't remember exactly what it's called, will check tonight). There are several CPU options that should be turned off, because they'll cause the CPU to throttle up and down based on load. I've found that this can cause instability/lock ups, and sometimes low frame rates.

Also, please clarify what you mean by your description of the PSU. "As above 750W though". Is it rated for 750W max? If so, depending on how many other fans you're running (and how much they draw), hard drives, CD/DVD drives, etc, that may not be sufficient for what that system needs with an overclock. Remember, even though your CPU is only running at 1.4xxx volts, it's going to draw SIGNIFICANT power under a load, especially at higher clock speeds/voltages. If that PSU isn't up to the task of satisfying it, you'll absolutely get lock ups.

Anywho, hope that info helps for now! :)  I have those fans to replace in my system tonight, but as soon as that's done I'll sort through the BIOS and see if I can get some more information for you.
m
l
December 12, 2012 4:23:25 PM

Oh, another thing... All of your drivers (especially chipset) are up to date, correct? That's huge. The only other delta I see right off the bat is that you're on Windows 8, while I'm on 7.
m
l
December 12, 2012 4:27:10 PM

You'll likely need to run your memory faster than that as well, for a significant OC. I'm running mine at 1866, with 1.65v.
m
l
December 12, 2012 9:19:22 PM

Right, I've just gone through and uninstalled and re-installed all my drivers. Interestingly that appears to have sped up my graphics bench a little, but not by much. I was on the Catalyst 12.11 beta drivers before, but have dropped down to 12.10. Yeah, I've wondered the same things about windows 8 vs 7 - but have not had the time yet to do a fresh install of 7 to compare it, I'd be annoyed if I installed it and it made no difference!

I'm going to dive into the Bios now and have a check on power saving settings and as for memory, i've kind of left that alone before because i've really no idea what i'm doing there! (Although on the plus side, RAM is pretty cheap these days)

THanks for helping out man! Looking forward to your BIOS Screenies for guidance!
m
l
December 12, 2012 10:42:21 PM

Ok as far as I can see, I all the power saving settings are off. I have bitten the bullet and changed some of the settings and am up to 4.6 but very unstable, managed to run a 3d mark bench then locked up(norestart just frozen screen) the I think temp was about 65!!

im giving up and going to bed now, but I will look into psu tomorrow and some bios fine tuning.

From what I can remember putting in thebios:
Cpu multi - 21.5, clock 216, vcore 1.4, nb/Cpu 1.3, no freq ~2600, ht freq ~2400. Llc extreme.
m
l
December 13, 2012 12:39:48 AM

Yeah, I remember having issues with those 12.11 Beta drivers as well. As a general rule of thumb, I avoid Beta drivers. ;)  I believe I'm on the 12.10's as well.

Regarding your Vcore voltage, if my math is correct your CPU clock frequency will be around 4.64GHz with the specs you listed... Right? If that's true, (at least for my chip), a 1.4v Vcore would certainly be WAY too low. If I recall correctly, my chip needed ~1.48v @ 4.7GHz to be stable.

Furthermore, here are the screenshots, as promised. This is what I'm currently running on my system to date, and thus far it has been 100% stable. I did back my clock down to 4.98GHz as an experiment, although I should be in the clear to go back up to 5.01GHz if I choose. The only thing I'll point out that's not 100% accurate in these screenshots is the manual Vcore voltage I have specified. I've found that on my board I need to specify a slightly higher voltage than the board will deliver. You'll see I've specified 1.54v for Vcore, but the board is actually delivering 1.52v.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll302/TRWeiss1/IMG_2...

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have questions.
m
l
December 13, 2012 12:57:32 AM

Oh, and one other thing. I didn't mean to uninstall and reinstall your original drivers. I meant to go to the manufacturer's website to verify that the drivers you have installed match their latest and greatest. If not, download and install the most up-to-date ones. :) 
m
l
December 13, 2012 7:37:58 AM

Thanks for these! I plugged them into my BIOS this morning before work with the exception of the memory frequency as my PC would not POST with your value (I blame the RAM, I don't think it is very good)

Yeah, I realised you didn't mean to completely remove them, but I wanted to be sure I had the correct drivers so uninstalled and re-downloaded - Also I wanted to downgrade to 12.10 instead of the beta anyway so.. :) 

Below is an initial screen showing idle temps and clock speed etc plus a Novabench result (which is already 500 more than I was getting before I co-erced you into helping me :D )

http://i.imgur.com/FredL.png?1

What is interesting is that the bump of 300Mhz to the CPU has not made a massive difference from the settings I showed you last night. For example the following link is the 3dmark score I got before it crashed out on my settings

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5208543

and this is the result from your settings (which I'd like to add I think I still need to tweak a lot because I can no longer get to it from teamviewer so I imagine it has frozen just after the 3dmark test again.)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5211107

The difference is very small - which I think I can put down to the HT/NB frequencies perhaps (I think I'm getting the hang of this!?) The big issue though at the moment is it's crashing out after a bench mark - so still a way to go before I'm stable.

Incidentally I've just found my 3DMark results from before I got your advice (http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5198015) And, although the CPU parts of the score (Physics, and combined) are lower, the overall is higher due to my graphics score being 2000 points higher. So now I need to work out what I've done with the graphics card!

How did your fan install go? Are you noticing lower temps?

Thanks again for holding my hand through this by the way! It is making it a little less terrifying.. :D 

m
l
December 13, 2012 12:11:39 PM

Hey, I'm glad my settings were able to help you a bit! :D  Looks like your CPU temps are pretty good too. One thing I will note that I saw from your CPU-Z is that you're up around a 1.54v Vcore. That's fine so long as you're staying within the heat range tolerance of the CPU, but keep in mind that even though I'm specifying a 1.54v Vcore for my chip the board is only delivering 1.52v. So, if your board is delivering exactly what you're setting for Vcore, you can probably drop that down to 1.52v to decrease power consumption and temps slightly. :)  If you find instability, you may need to bump it back up a little higher. This is what makes overclocking especially difficult, and not cut and dry... EVERY chip is a little bit different.

Regarding your RAM, have you thought about running memtest86 at the increased speeds to see if it fails? Might help isolate a gremlin if you have bad memory. ;) 

As far as my fan install, it went great! I'm seeing exactly what I thought I'd see, which is a pretty consistent 5-6 deg C drop under a load. I was seeing a max of 51/52 in TDU2, when before my max was right around 57/58. It does keep the chip about 3-4 deg C cooler at idle if I don't let it heat soak, but after a game it's idling a bit higher (still lower than with the other fans). The last thing I did as an experiment this morning was install my old two 120CFM fans at the top of my case blowing in, so it's force feeding the fans cooling my radiator. I'm curious to see what results that delivers. I did read that the H70 recommends inducting cold air from the rear of the case and blowing inward, as to force the coldest air possible through the radiator. I tried this and it resulted in little to no change in CPU temp, and an INCREASE in motherboard temp. Needless to say, I reversed them the way I had them. :p  I found that the mobo stays cooler when drafting heat AWAY from the chipset, rather than forcing airflow towards it. Lastly, I'm sure the air was quite a bit warmer after passing through the radiator.

Generally, I'd have my top case fans sucking air OUT, since heat naturally rises... But in this case I'm trying something a bit different to note the results. Moreover, I didn't want to have those fans sucking air out the top and starving the CPU fans, so to speak. I may be wrong, but the way I see it if 2 sets of fans are competing for air from the same airspace, each set of fans is going to get a lower volume of air. That was my reasoning for blowing air DOWN from the top fans, which will also feed the CPU fans at a higher rate than if they ingested air naturally (similar to a turbo setup on a car). Anywho, we'll see how it works after I get some game time with it! :D 
m
l
December 14, 2012 9:19:41 AM

Hello!

I spent the majority of last night tinkering and experimenting with different things, and am really starting to see improved results! Which is fun. I've found that setting the multi lower and the clock higher I can set my RAM to run faster - which in turn seems to get ARMAII making more use of my GPU. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that my RAM is just *** and I should save up and get some decent G.Skill sticks!

I think I'm going to need to take a look at cooling too. If I run Prime 95 for 15 mins the CPU temp in HWmon gets to about 65 then the computer either hangs up or reboots. I have my H80i set up in push/pull and, incidentally, I have had the top fan facing in for some months now (makes sense to me!)
I'm thinking of getting a couple of these :
http://www.dabs.com/products/akasa-14-12cm-viper-r-high...
to go either side of my radiator, More CFM and lower noise too, I can then probably replace the shitty front fan with one of corsair ones off of the H80.

Fortunately when I am playing games the temps aren't getting to high, So I'm sort-of happy with it at the moment - but it is by no means stable. I just can't seem to get it to run at the speeds I want with a lower voltage. I will keep persisting!
m
l
December 14, 2012 4:09:33 PM

Glad to hear you're making progress! Unfortunately, in most cases, in order to achieve stability you must increase voltage (or slow down clock speeds). I hear you on temps when running an overclock test... 65 is definitely getting hot for that chip. I believe AMD recommends staying under 62.

And while we're on a cooling note, my new cooling setup is working wonders! Drafting air in from the top and force feeding the CPU fans was definitely the way to go. Before, I was seeing max temps of around 52 deg C in TDU2, and now my max temp is 44 deg C (if I run the fans at 100%). Since the fans are obnoxious running at full speed, I backed them down to halfway which keeps the system pretty silent. In that case I was seeing max temps of 47 deg C, with it staying pretty consistent at 46. :D 
m
l
February 7, 2013 5:39:16 PM

TRweiss1 said:
Ok, so I recently overhauled my rig this week, and am getting into the guts of this new UEFI BIOS that the ASUS M5A99X is using. I've got the system (seemingly) stable at 4.9GHz [204 x 24 multi] with 1.50v Vcore. There are SO many more settings in this UEFI BIOS than were in my old ASUS P6X58D BIOS, it's unbelievable.

If necessary, I can list each and every value I've tweaked thus far. Naturally, I've disabled all of the power saving crap, such as APM, ErP, C1E, and "Multi Core" technology. I've got my Phase power to Xtreme, and LLC to HIGH for both the CPU and the CPU/NB. Memory timings and voltages have been left to AUTO for the time being, and I'm running DDR3 G. Skill 1866.

Any/all input is welcome, and would be appreciated, as far as helping me get to a stable 5.0 GHz. However, my question is specific to the NB. First, should I be altering the NB speed? I've left it set to AUTO for the time being. I've read that it should be 3x the speed of the RAM... Second, should I alter the voltage of the NB? Again, that has been left to AUTO for the time being. I believe the system was locking up while at 5.0GHz because the CPU was simply getting too hot (right around 65 deg C), although I can't be positive. I'm running the Thermaltake Water2.0 Performer on the CPU, and tbh I'm a bit disappointed with it. Although to be fair the ambient temps in my downstairs are 80+ degrees, due to the heat pump I run down there. It certainly doesn't help matters when it comes to overclocking.

I'm perfectly fine with leaving it at 4.9GHz if I'm limited by CPU temp, although it'd be nice to crack the 5.0GHz barrier. ;)  I've not yet had the chance to stress test the system as I'd like to @ 4.9GHz, so I won't swear that it's 150% stable. It seemed to be for a good hr of gaming last night, and the system ran through the night ghosting an image of my SSD (I know, not really that taxing on the CPU).

So to summarize, any input from those running the ASUS UEFI BIOS would be greatly appreciated, specifically regarding the NB... Although I'd love to learn more about other settings as well. :D  I'm sure I could be enlightened. Thanks in advance!

I am buying the same motherboard an cpu combo it will be here tomorrow will the board recognize my cpu without a bios update??
m
l
February 8, 2013 8:20:56 PM

Absolutely. A BIOS update is not required for your mobo to recognize the CPU. :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 11:55:03 PM

Are there any settings in particular you have questions about?

I've been running a sabertooth 990fx since it was released (sometime before bulldozer came out). The UEFI bios on my board should be nearly identical to yours and I have quite a bit of overclocking experience with this board. Currently I'm working to get 4.4Ghz running fully stable on my phenom II 955 which stock is 3.2Ghz.
m
l
May 25, 2013 1:09:02 AM

I really hope people still follows this thread...

I'm a Total noob when in comes to OC, I would really like to get some info and guidance on where to find more material to read, I've found a lot of "guides" and reviews, but nothing solid, no detailed info, etc.

I would like to do some manual OC, have similar hardware to OP's config

Current System configuration on this very same PSU
Motherboard M5A99X EVO REV 1
FX-8350 O'ced to 4.3 (Autotune for now, Psu only has 4 pin CPU power)
Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler
3 xcalibur (1 for CPU, 2 for Chassis)
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 4x2
Asus Radeon HD 7970
Pioner BR-RW
Samsung 830 SSD 256Gb
WD HDD 1Tb Sata 3Gbps green
WD HDD 500gb Sata 3Gbps green
Eventual 2 Extra Hdds, 1 on chassis docking (TT Docker), 1 Power eSata

Have done some auto OC with Asus uitlity in a Phenom II 965 Deneb C3, got to 4.0.
I think I can get more manually, but first, I really want to fully understand what I'm doing.

For example, I've seen a lot of People leaving the CPU ratio at 20, and increasing frequency, don't know default values for CPU NB and HT link, and so on.

Really, any help will be highly appreciated.
m
l
August 3, 2013 4:54:08 AM

bidomo said:
I really hope people still follows this thread...

I'm a Total noob when in comes to OC, I would really like to get some info and guidance on where to find more material to read, I've found a lot of "guides" and reviews, but nothing solid, no detailed info, etc.

I would like to do some manual OC, have similar hardware to OP's config

Current System configuration on this very same PSU
Motherboard M5A99X EVO REV 1
FX-8350 O'ced to 4.3 (Autotune for now, Psu only has 4 pin CPU power)
Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler
3 xcalibur (1 for CPU, 2 for Chassis)
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 4x2
Asus Radeon HD 7970
Pioner BR-RW
Samsung 830 SSD 256Gb
WD HDD 1Tb Sata 3Gbps green
WD HDD 500gb Sata 3Gbps green
Eventual 2 Extra Hdds, 1 on chassis docking (TT Docker), 1 Power eSata

Have done some auto OC with Asus uitlity in a Phenom II 965 Deneb C3, got to 4.0.
I think I can get more manually, but first, I really want to fully understand what I'm doing.

For example, I've seen a lot of People leaving the CPU ratio at 20, and increasing frequency, don't know default values for CPU NB and HT link, and so on.

Really, any help will be highly appreciated.

is your system stable with only 4 pin connected? I'll have the same system as you on monday but my psu only has 4 pin too. I'll buy a new one but not right now so i know a 4 pin connector can get around 190w 12v but I've seen graphs where the 8350 on full load consumes almost 200w so i was wondering if you don't have any problem with your 4 pin only.
and related with your question i think you'll actually need more juice than the 4 pin can offer for overclock. but I'm no expert. I'm here to learn too.
m
l
August 3, 2013 12:19:15 PM

berserkker said:

is your system stable with only 4 pin connected? I'll have the same system as you on monday but my psu only has 4 pin too. I'll buy a new one but not right now so i know a 4 pin connector can get around 190w 12v but I've seen graphs where the 8350 on full load consumes almost 200w so i was wondering if you don't have any problem with your 4 pin only.
and related with your question i think you'll actually need more juice than the 4 pin can offer for overclock. but I'm no expert. I'm here to learn too.

It wasn't as stable as desired, now I upgraded to a Corsair TX850, much more OC headroom. Your system will run OK if you leave alone OC with 4-pin, or you can use minimum OC
m
l
August 4, 2013 8:23:37 AM

bidomo said:

It wasn't as stable as desired, now I upgraded to a Corsair TX850, much more OC headroom. Your system will run OK if you leave alone OC with 4-pin, or you can use minimum OC

thanks a lot. may i ask what kind of instability were you having? and also what was your power supply? mine is not a good super expensive one but it is supposed to have 72% plus efficiency 600w and i dont know if it can handle for 3 months
m
l
August 15, 2013 7:38:28 PM

berserkker said:
bidomo said:

thanks a lot. may i ask what kind of instability were you having? and also what was your power supply? mine is not a good super expensive one but it is supposed to have 72% plus efficiency 600w and i dont know if it can handle for 3 months

Sorry I'm so late, he he, my PSU was a Delta Electronics 700W, pretty decent, my problems were mostly freezes, by simply changing the PSU, everything changed...
m
l
October 27, 2013 12:49:07 PM

Hi there I have the same board and processor and I would like to achieve same specs can u email me everything u changed in bios to get what u got plz mikemaurier84@gmail. Com

m
l
October 27, 2013 1:09:37 PM

Mikemaurier84 said:
Hi there I have the same board and processor and I would like to achieve same specs can u email me everything u changed in bios to get what u got plz mikemaurier84@gmail. Com

We can't possibly guess who your talking to, also, you need a decent CPU cooler, never use stock unless you want to ruin a CPU or Motherboard....

In the other hand, OCing takes time, you can't jump to the same config as me, cause every single chip and Motherboard are different, they can't handle the very exact same OC, some are ok, some are Ok, some more than OK, and then some are SuperB, even the very same chip model, so, not every single FX8350 will get the same OC.

Also, you want a cooling solution for your VRM heatsink
m
l
November 3, 2013 12:54:03 PM

Also looking to do the same as the OP and the more recent postees, have similar specs:

Power Supply: Corsair 600w (CAIR 600W CMPSU-600CXV2 PSU)
CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0 ghz
After Market Cooler: HN-14D Noctua
Motherboard: M5A99X Evo (Rev 1 with newest bios)
Graphics: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Ram: 4GB 2x2GB CMX4GX3M2B1600C9

I tried to overclock earlier today without success, followed a tutorial on youtube to alter settings using x20 for the CPU N/B multiplier to get 4000mhz plus disabled power features etc. and used the recommended settings then upped it to reach 4400mhz / 4500mzh. I used Prime95 to test etc. and the CPU core was over 70c within a minute or so.. I also used the system (Motherboard) auto tune feature (CPU reached around 4400mzh) used Prime95 to test this and 2 cores failed so I'm now only using complete stock levels of 4000ghz as this stays stable (reaches a max of 51c CPU core on Prime95 test).

I believe I have a few issues preventing me from overclocking:

Air flow in the case: In total I have the 2 dual fans for the CPU (Noctua), one 120mm fan at the back pushing air in, one larger 140mm fan pushing air out, also one 120mm fan at the front pushing air in from the front, the PSU exhausts air from the bottom of the case. I dont think this is the best of setups.. the case is also a Fractal Define XL (r1)

PSU is 600w, maybe this does have not enough power? I also believe this uses a 4 pin power supply but the motherboard only has a 4 pin connection I believe?

GPU TPU overclock feature was enabled on the board before doing overclock (after reading this should be disabled)..

I'm also looking to upgrade the graphics (HD 7970 card) / ram soon, I hope the power supply I currently have will support that also?!

Please advise how to overclock, if the PSU needs upgrading etc.

Dan.

m
l
November 3, 2013 4:48:47 PM

dwykes23 said:
Also looking to do the same as the OP and the more recent postees, have similar specs:

I tried to overclock earlier today without success, followed a tutorial on youtube to alter settings using x20 for the CPU N/B multiplier to get 4000mhz plus disabled power features etc. and used the recommended settings then upped it to reach 4400mhz / 4500mzh. I used Prime95 to test etc. and the CPU core was over 70c within a minute or so.. I also used the system (Motherboard) auto tune feature (CPU reached around 4400mzh) used Prime95 to test this and 2 cores failed so I'm now only using complete stock levels of 4000ghz as this stays stable (reaches a max of 51c CPU core on Prime95 test).

Air flow in the case: In total I have the 2 dual fans for the CPU (Noctua), one 120mm fan at the back pushing air in, one larger 140mm fan pushing air out, also one 120mm fan at the front pushing air in from the front, the PSU exhausts air from the bottom of the case. I dont think this is the best of setups.. the case is also a Fractal Define XL (r1)

PSU is 600w, maybe this does have not enough power? I also believe this uses a 4 pin power supply but the motherboard only has a 4 pin connection I believe?

GPU TPU overclock feature was enabled on the board before doing overclock (after reading this should be disabled)..

I'm also looking to upgrade the graphics (HD 7970 card) / ram soon, I hope the power supply I currently have will support that also?!

Dan.

4pin cpu power not enough, better get a good psu if planning some OC, also, read some guides, youtube might have info on how to overclock, but every systems is different, your altitude, clime and room temperature, all of this has a lot to do with ocing...
m
l
November 4, 2013 7:09:40 AM

bidomo said:
dwykes23 said:

Dan.

4pin cpu power not enough, better get a good psu if planning some OC, also, read some guides, youtube might have info on how to overclock, but every systems is different, your altitude, clime and room temperature, all of this has a lot to do with ocing...

Thank you. I would also need a new MB to support 8-pin? I've looked and believe the Sabertooth 990fx should be more than adequate, although I will probably update my MB in a few months as the rig should run ok for now. I'll also by a much better PSU when I need to overclock. Things just update so quickly, didn't take the power supply into it until I thought logically and luckily came across this page!! :) 
m
l
November 4, 2013 11:37:29 AM

dwykes23 said:

Thank you. I would also need a new MB to support 8-pin? I've looked and believe the Sabertooth 990fx should be more than adequate, although I will probably update my MB in a few months as the rig should run ok for now. I'll also by a much better PSU when I need to overclock. Things just update so quickly, didn't take the power supply into it until I thought logically and luckily came across this page!! :) 

You have a M5A99X EVO according to your post, it supports 8 pin, uses big power phases, so you would need a good psu...

I don't see any need for a Motherboard update
m
l
November 5, 2013 5:06:47 AM

bidomo said:
dwykes23 said:

You have a M5A99X EVO according to your post, it supports 8 pin, uses big power phases, so you would need a good psu...

:ange:  I've bought a new PSU today to support my new GPU (also bought better RAM and 8GB in total), I'm hoping this will give the system enough power to overclock etc.?

I'll probably need to get an after market gpu cooler though as the 290's run quite hot! :/ 

Is there any particular overclocking threads you read whilst overclocking? Or can you point me in the direction of a good thread with regards to this MB in particular?

Air Flow: I've now changed the direction of my fans.. 1x 120mm blowing air into the case from the front, (need to update to 3 at the front and will probably install better quality fans throughout the PC).. I have 1x 120mm fan blowing air out of the back of the PC and one 1x 140mm blowing air out of the top. I believe once I install the newer PSU it might be better as the PSU can control the thermostat / fan speed for the fans and hopefully the PSU itself remains cool as my PSU tends to run quite warm.

Thank you for the advice with regard to the MB, I will end up updating the MB but I'll probably give it another 6/12 months now that I can overclock the CPU.
m
l
November 7, 2013 8:38:34 AM

Question to all, have you ran smallFtt prime tests with this setup? I'm find it very hard to get even close to these results out of this motherboard and I'm running a thermaltake water 2.0 extreme. My CPU/Socket temperatures are always way below thresholds but I start getting throttling from what I understand is VRMs overheating. This is with taking in cold air from outside and blowing it directly onto the VRMs.

Has the OP noticed any throttling? When I monitor with hwmonitor I can watch my CPU go from the multiplier I set down to 7x even though my socket/cpu temperatures are well within where they should be.

I've read that others have switched from this board to the sabertooth or other boards because of this exact issue. Did this original poster just get a good board?
m
l
December 28, 2013 11:02:15 PM

dwykes23 said:
bidomo said:
dwykes23 said:

:ange:  I've bought a new PSU today to support my new GPU (also bought better RAM and 8GB in total), I'm hoping this will give the system enough power to overclock etc.?

I'll probably need to get an after market gpu cooler though as the 290's run quite hot! :/ 

Is there any particular overclocking threads you read whilst overclocking? Or can you point me in the direction of a good thread with regards to this MB in particular?

Air Flow: I've now changed the direction of my fans.. 1x 120mm blowing air into the case from the front, (need to update to 3 at the front and will probably install better quality fans throughout the PC).. I have 1x 120mm fan blowing air out of the back of the PC and one 1x 140mm blowing air out of the top. I believe once I install the newer PSU it might be better as the PSU can control the thermostat / fan speed for the fans and hopefully the PSU itself remains cool as my PSU tends to run quite warm.

Thank you for the advice with regard to the MB, I will end up updating the MB but I'll probably give it another 6/12 months now that I can overclock the CPU.

Sorry for the delay, haven't been around...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1214560/amds-official-fx-cpu...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1260362/pctuning-amd-fx-over...

Last but not least, this is the one i've been reading once and again
http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-pi...

There's also a thread with all of the overclock achieved in several boards
http://www.overclock.net/t/1318995/official-fx-8320-fx-...
Try the Sheet1, even list some of the settings used by the contributor

Don't forget, every Motherboard and CPU are different, like humans, some are more physically capable than others, it's just nature on the digital age lol

chiznitz said:
Question to all, have you ran smallFtt prime tests with this setup? I'm find it very hard to get even close to these results out of this motherboard and I'm running a thermaltake water 2.0 extreme. My CPU/Socket temperatures are always way below thresholds but I start getting throttling from what I understand is VRMs overheating. This is with taking in cold air from outside and blowing it directly onto the VRMs.

Has the OP noticed any throttling? When I monitor with hwmonitor I can watch my CPU go from the multiplier I set down to 7x even though my socket/cpu temperatures are well within where they should be.

I've read that others have switched from this board to the sabertooth or other boards because of this exact issue. Did this original poster just get a good board?

We need some good airflow to the VRMs, im planning on moving to a sabertooth too because of this, but I should try to get some air into the VRMS 1st... one of my boards failed because of the OC... VRMs died
m
l
April 26, 2014 12:03:13 AM

TRweiss1 said:

Would you mine share all of your BIOS settings and Win OS settings to achieve this result ? I'm building the same system with the same specs, except for GPU I use GTX760.

Here r my specs:

Mobo: Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
CPU: AMD Vishera FXV2 8350 4.0GHz ( 4.2GHz Turbo ) AM3+ 8 Cores
CPU Cooler : Zalman LQ315 – Liquid cooling
RAM : Gskill Sniper Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 Bus 2133 Cas 11
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce OC 2GB ( 256 bit ) DDR5
SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 7mm 240GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Red 1TB
PSU: CORSAIR RM 850W Gold

I want to achieve a stable system of 4.9Ghz and RAM speed at 2133 mhz is possible ? or my RAMs should be at 1866Mhz only ?

I'm very grateful for all of your information!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 26, 2014 9:51:09 AM

This is a really old thread perhaps you could try opening up a new thread of your own to ask your question or head over to the AMD overclocking club (it's one of the stickies).

To give you a short answer 4.9Ghz might be achievable but it all depends on your chip and often times your cooling solution.

As for the 2133 ram that will depend on both your cpu and board since that speed isn't officaially supported it might work then again it might not. I run my ram at 2200Mhz cause I can't get it to work at the 2400Mhz it is rated for (due to the cpu and/or my board holding me back).
m
l
a c 412 À AMD
a c 341 Ĉ ASUS
a c 390 K Overclocking
April 26, 2014 1:27:23 PM

2133 < You can't run 2133 on your combo , the FX8350 can only run 1866 tops.
m
l
April 29, 2014 12:20:53 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:

Thank for your help Sir. But ive read place else, somebody can run it with 2133.... this is weird.I already knew that fx8350 only can support up to 1866. But not sure that is after OC or defualt settings.
m
l
a b À AMD
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
April 29, 2014 4:49:01 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:

That's not true. 1866 is officially supported, but I have a friend who ran 2400CL11 on his 8350 and I ran 2000CL8 on my FX-4100. AMD even sells Radeon branded DDR3-2400CL11 just for these CPUs. I'm running 2400CL10 on my piledriver since November.

m
l
April 30, 2014 7:02:01 AM

damric said:
SR-71 Blackbird said:

That's not true. 1866 is officially supported, but I have a friend who ran 2400CL11 on his 8350 and I ran 2000CL8 on my FX-4100. AMD even sells Radeon branded DDR3-2400CL11 just for these CPUs. I'm running 2400CL10 on my piledriver since November.

Im also running 2133 no problem here. Just finished tuning my system today with a stable at 4.5ghz and Ram at 2133. Gskill Black Sniper 8Gb dual channel
m
l
!