ASUS motherboard question?

Hey guys(and gals)! I just had a question about my motherboard that i have in my new build. My motherboard is an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO and it has an onboard LED to "indicate that the system is ON, in sleep mode, or in soft-off mode." I eventually realized that all that indicates if that soft-off is just off but not actually physically flipping the switch on the back of the PSU. So i am no longer concerned if that is on 24/7 b/c i realize that is what it's supossed to do. Anyways, my concern now is that with my new mouse(NZXT Avatar) it has 2 blue LED's on the top of the mouse, and when i turned the computer off, the lights on the mouse remain ON along with the onboard LED. I plugged in a USB drive and the light flashed for a second indicating that the drive recieved power, but then quickly turned off. Is this SUPPOSED to happen? My concern is that if i have an ipod charging from the computer and i turn it off will the ipod still be trying to charge itself possibly damaging something. Most likely no since the USB drive didn't even get enough power. But as far as the mouse goes, IDK.

I am a newb so thats for the stupid question.
Anyways thanks for all the help and for dealing with my lack of tech at this point of my personal building exp. :D
4 answers Last reply
More about asus motherboard question
  1. If you installed Ai Charger then the led and power will always be available to the USB, with PC on or off. In addition, the mouse needs to have power to it in sleep or other similar low power mode to wake-up.

    Don't be concerned about minimal power to the USB; especially the mouse - it's is normal.
  2. Firstly NO the iPod will not charge itself in the soft off mode since the current to the USB is switched off. Only the mouse and the keyboard will have a 'Keep Alive' current in them.
    Since there is going to be no current in the iPod usb socket, there is a 99% chance that you'll not have a problem, 1% is given to burnouts due to voltage fluctuations in case that happens when your rig is sleeping....
  3. I have both ASUS & Gigabyte MOBOs, and do have ON/OFF Charge installed and yes the USB ports are always powered.
    ASUS Ai Charger -
    Gigabyte ON/OFF Charge -

    M4A79XTD EVO {Driver}
    Description Ai Charger 1.00.06 for WinXP/Vista/Win7 32bit and 64bit
    Charge your iPhone / iPod / iPad through USB port quickly
  4. Jaquith is right, IF, the OP has Ai Charger Installed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Asus LED Monitor