Sign in with
Your question

SATA drive not detected by BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
October 2, 2010 6:44:56 AM

Ok, new mobo(eVGA X58 E758-A1), new SSD(Kingston 60 GB), but BIOS is not detecting drive.
The DVD drive is detected fine on SATA, but the SSD refuses to get detected.

Here are the steps i tried so far...
1) used a different SATA cable
2) used a diff power supply
3) connected the SSD to SATA 0 and disconnected all other SATA ports
4) mounted the SSD on another computer & verified that it is not dead
5) connected a regular HDD instead of the SSD
6) formatted the SSD using an other computer
7) connected the DVD drive on all SATA ports 0, 1, 2 & 3 and verified that it is detected fine
8) changed the mode between IDE, RAID, ACHI with no luck

what are my options now?
1) does the mobo require a BIOS flash to latest version?
2) should i connect a HDD with an OS already installed?
3) should i give in to the psychological warfare my mobo is waging against me & break it instead?

Please, im sick of looking at unintuitive BIOS screens and the messy interior of the CPU :fou:  does anyone understand what im doing wrong?

Thank you,
Mathi
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 2, 2010 11:45:49 AM

IF you already have a drive working with your x58 board, try cloning it to the ssd using maxblast 5.0, a free download. It will prep the drive then clone it in about ten minutes. Works great with windows 7. Or simply try preping it as the boot drive.
m
l
October 2, 2010 1:49:14 PM

No, I don't have a working drive for the x58 board :( 
Any hard drive I throw at it, ssd or hdd, is not recognized by the bios at all. Did I miss some critical jumper setting for the drives to be detected as SATA or IDE?
m
l
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 2, 2010 4:03:35 PM

If you can make one, the maxblast cd acts as a boot disk, and will prep the drive as primary or secondary. All retail seagate and maxtor drives should come with it, or the software you can burn may also act as a boot disk. Some sata drives have a jumper that sets it as a sata I drive. You may try that or try different sata ports and power supply leads to the drive. I've had to switch ports or power supply leads before to get a drive recognized. Good luck.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 2, 2010 4:15:42 PM

What OS {e.g. Vista has a known bug}? Initially, use IDE on what ever port the SSD is located on.

Some SSD require a firmware update - what EXACT model-number is the SSD?

1) does the mobo require a BIOS flash to latest version? -> No
2) should i connect a HDD with an OS already installed? -> No if it is not appearing in BIOS
3) should i give in to the psychological warfare my mobo is waging against me & break it instead? -> No, probably not the MOBO; probably the SSD. Making of an interesting Youtube video - "I killed the wrong thing -- Oopsy!"
m
l
October 2, 2010 5:24:58 PM

thanks all for the reply...
figured out what the problem was...
the AXP600 case i have must be a refurbished piece of junk... i'd the SSD & HDD in the hot swappable bays, and since i heard the drive spin i assumed that the power supply are fine for both HDD & SSD. apparently not!
connected the SSD directly to the power supply and viola!
must be that small logic board behind the bays that wasnt providing any juice to the drive bays :( 
ok, now i know which component to break, im happy again!
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 2, 2010 5:30:13 PM

mrmathi said:
3) should i give in to the psychological warfare my mobo is waging against me & break it instead?

Thanks be Above you DIDN'T!

Give your EVGA MOBO some love... :love: 
m
l
!