Sign in with
Your question

Trouble with xmp

Last response: in Overclocking
November 30, 2012 2:00:39 PM

hi, very happy with my recent build and have started messing with performance. graphics card was cheap and has plenty of headroom, and runs cool.tried to use xmp to bump up the memory speed from the default 1333 @ 1.5v (board automatically sets this voltage) to the advertised 1600 @ 1.65 volts. this worked perfectly, so i tried to set it at 2400 and it had trouble re-booting. (but did ) tried it at 2133 and it behaved similarly. was thinking of trying the 'old school' method, but, damnit, i bought this configuration of hardware to keep it simple. this is my build:
asrock z77 pro 3 (bios version 1.30)
intel core i3-3220 ivy bridge
galaxy gtx460 gc w/ gelid icy visions rev2
kingston hyperx t1 8gb pc3 12800 (KHX1600C9D3T1K2/8GX)
seagate barracuda st250dm000
ocz stealyhxstream 2 (700w)
win 7hp 64bit (full)
any ideas? thanks, the amateur

More about : trouble xmp

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2012 7:57:26 PM

Don't overclock the bus speed. It's 100Mhz, don't go farther. I have a nice 2600k build and overclocking it is as easy as setting the multiplier to what I want, but that's why the K-series is there. The 3220, is locked I believe.

However, the difference with today's and yesterworld's memory is the bus speeds aren't as effective for overclocking anymore. It causes a lot more stress on the hardware. Jumping from 1600mhz ram to 2133 is a bit of a stretch as well. I've learned the best thing is to have a K-Series and just stick to multipliers. And from what I read and hear; 1600mhz is about the norm and the performance increase to 1866 and higher just isn't worth it.

I have a 2600k running at 40x multiplier from the stock 34x. Ram is 1600 which is stock. No stability issues but the differences between overclocking this system and say; my old Athlon XP type of systems is controlling the voltages on the CPU is more important here. Sure the XP could reach higher by giving it a little more voltage, but these new systems actually have a variable voltage and can range from say 0.8v to 1.4v depending on the load. In your case, I'd work on clocking the graphics card if you want to overclock for gaming. Aside from that, I'd grab a K series chip if you're really interested in overclocking.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/279596-29-overclock-3...

One of the many different posts about overclocking non-K chips. Just too much stress on clocking the locked processors to make it advantageous. I hope this helps you out a bit. Sorry that there isn't more I can say. :) 
m
l
December 1, 2012 1:49:07 AM

hey, first off, thanx for the post. getting right to it, when i did this build, i was starting out with a p5n-e sli (i've built a few with this venerable, quirky board over the years) machine that had great air cooling and surprisingly good performance for a while. (those guts are a home server now) i kept the vid card, case and cooling and did what i could with less than 500$. that said, i thought i could tweak the ram speed independent of the chip while i waited out either the card or processor price to upgrade one first, then the other and build a second machine. ( always on a budget, but have had some junkyard dogs with some cheap builds) is there an intrinsic flaw with 1.65v out-of-the-box xmp ram like so many people were up in arms over not long ago? i know i can do the ram clocks 'old school', but would like to know what's really up with my xmp issue.

m
l
!