Sign in with
Your question

Registry error

Last response: in Windows XP
October 13, 2012 12:40:32 AM

Hello,
On power up of a winxp home laptop, i started getting a bluescreen with dos-like screen message stating 'Registry Error', some dialogue and automatically rebooting attempts. Does this sound like a candidate for a diskwipe & fresh reinstall?

More about : registry error

October 13, 2012 4:38:08 PM

you can recover your files first, before repairing or reformatting XP.
A second PC can recover the files if you install your drive into it.
OR a computer shop can do it for you.
m
l
October 23, 2012 1:33:12 AM

That is exactly what I did. Removed laptop drive and usb'd it to my desktop with an adapter. Then I copied the data files and a listing of the desktop icons so I could reinstall the necessary programs. Reinstalled the drive in the laptop and then I wiped and rewrote the disk.

I knew how to do all that, but was hoping someone knew of a 'miracle cure'. Well, they didn't. I was just hoping I wouldn't have had to do all that. Its one big pain in the butt!

Thank you!

m
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2012 1:55:11 PM

Thanks for the info on RegistryFix, BobbyDsl. The error screen flashed off so quickly, I didn't get a chance to record the number sequence. But the re-install worked fine. Thank you.
m
l
a b D Laptop
October 23, 2012 2:02:17 PM

Dubious so-called Registry fixers are usually as expensive as they are dangerous and I'm glad you sorted your problem without resorting to it.

If you ever need to read the detail of the Stop Error message on a blue screen, tap function 8 as you power up and select "Disable automatic restart on system failure". That makes the screen stand still long enough to be read and the information to post here or in another Forum is the numeric 0x0000?? and ANY_WORDS_JOINED_TOGETHER with underscores.

m
l
October 23, 2012 4:28:58 PM

THANK YOU, SL...a real gem of info. I think I'll set it up NOW!

m
m
l
November 2, 2012 2:53:23 PM

I tried this, but could not find that option on my Toshiba P35S629 laptop (w/WinXP Home ed.) with their proprietary BIOS screens. What do I do then? (That's why I rewrote the disk.)
m
l
!