Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

converting AVI file

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:39:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

recently a buddy of mine gave me a DVD-R with a bunch of shows on it that
are in .AVI format. Is it possible to convert these files to whatever
format my RTV uses so that I can stream them to my RTV and watch them on TV
instead of my computer?

if so, what do I need to do it?

TB in Austin

More about : converting avi file

August 10, 2005 11:41:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

General Kireiko <douglas@panix.com> wrote in
news:D dctj7$div$1@reader2.panix.com:

> T.B. <balfour@nospamgrandecom.net> wrote:
>: recently a buddy of mine gave me a DVD-R with a bunch of shows on it
>: that are in .AVI format. Is it possible to convert these files to
>: whatever format my RTV uses so that I can stream them to my RTV and
>: watch them on TV instead of my computer?
>
>: if so, what do I need to do it?
>
> You will need to recode the .avi file to MPEG-2.
>
> I have never tried it, but you could try this:
> 1. Use DVD2AVI to open the AVI file. Do nothing to the file - save
> it as a project. This will create a .mp2 file and a .mpa audio file.
> 2. Use TMPGENC to recode the project as MPEG-2.
> 3. Use RTVTools to fix the file so it can be imported into DVArchive.
> 4. Serve it back to your Replay.
>
> No guarentees. It's just a guess. The TMPGENC software is NOT free,
> but I beleive it has a 30 day trial.
>
> -Doug

Attached is the text version from www.g4techtv.com on how to do it. I
tried to hit the real page, but it seems to need a registration these
days.

Read the procedure (it's worked for me 2-3 times a day for a year) and
see if you're still interested. If so, gimme a shout and we can work
things out.

rampage
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:03:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

hi, thanks for the reply and advice. i downloaded DVD2AVI and installed it.
However when I opened it and tried to have it open one of the AVI files, it
locked up and stopped responding. Also, when the OPEN dialog box came up,
defaultly it was looking for .vob, .m2p, .m2v or .mpv; .avi wasn't an
option, so I had to change it to ALL FILES to see the AVI files. I d/l'd
DVD2AVI 1.77.4 from http://www.divx-digest.com/software/dvd2avi.html

Am I doing something wrong?

TB

General Kireiko" <douglas@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D dctj7$div$1@reader2.panix.com...

> You will need to recode the .avi file to MPEG-2.
>
> I have never tried it, but you could try this:
> 1. Use DVD2AVI to open the AVI file. Do nothing to the file - save it as
> a project. This will create a .mp2 file and a .mpa audio file.
> 2. Use TMPGENC to recode the project as MPEG-2.
> 3. Use RTVTools to fix the file so it can be imported into DVArchive.
> 4. Serve it back to your Replay.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:49:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

ok, so I downloaded WINMPG to convert the AVI to MPEG-2. It worked fine.
I now have installed RTVTOOLS but don't know which option i need to use.
Do I need to use RTVEDIT or RTVCONVERT? With which switches?

thanks again,

TB

"General Kireiko" <douglas@panix.com> wrote:

> You will need to recode the .avi file to MPEG-2.
>
> I have never tried it, but you could try this:
> 1. Use DVD2AVI to open the AVI file. Do nothing to the file - save it as
> a project. This will create a .mp2 file and a .mpa audio file.
> 2. Use TMPGENC to recode the project as MPEG-2.
> 3. Use RTVTools to fix the file so it can be imported into DVArchive.
> 4. Serve it back to your Replay.
>
August 12, 2005 12:42:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in
news:11fnaoemccjke49@corp.supernews.com:

> ok, so I downloaded WINMPG to convert the AVI to MPEG-2. It worked
> fine. I now have installed RTVTOOLS but don't know which option i need
> to use. Do I need to use RTVEDIT or RTVCONVERT? With which switches?
>
> thanks again,
>
> TB

Copy the new MPG to the rtv directory.

Use Notepad (any text editor) to make a file with the following line.

rtvconvert xxxxxx.mpg xxxxxx_a.mpg

Save the text file to the rtv directory with the name 'convert.bat'
(Windows will treat it as a DOS batch file)

Browse to the rtv directory and double-click on the convert.bat file.

Windows will execute the convert.bat batch file as a command to run
rtvconvert using xxxxxx.mpg as the input parameter and xxxxxx_a.mpg as the
output parameter for the converted file. Should take about 2 minutes for a
1 hour vid. If rtv doesn't like the input MPG, you'll prolly have to use
TMPGEnc with the replay template to make a 'proper' MPG like I do.

Assuming no errors, you can now fire up DVArchive and import the new MPG to
the channel of your choice.

rampage






>
> "General Kireiko" <douglas@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> You will need to recode the .avi file to MPEG-2.
>>
>> I have never tried it, but you could try this:
>> 1. Use DVD2AVI to open the AVI file. Do nothing to the file - save
>> it as a project. This will create a .mp2 file and a .mpa audio file.
>> 2. Use TMPGENC to recode the project as MPEG-2.
>> 3. Use RTVTools to fix the file so it can be imported into
>> DVArchive. 4. Serve it back to your Replay.
>>
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:42:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

when I doubleclick the convert.bat file i created, nothing happens. a cmd
prompt windows flashes for a second but then goes immediately away. I also
tried doing it through a command line, but got the following message:
'rtvconvert' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.

Do I need to place the RTVTOOLS in my System folder?

TB

"rampage" <rampage@getta.net> wrote in message
news:Xns96AFA9FDBDE3Frampagegettanet@140.99.99.130...
> "T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in
> news:11fnaoemccjke49@corp.supernews.com:
>
> > ok, so I downloaded WINMPG to convert the AVI to MPEG-2. It worked
> > fine. I now have installed RTVTOOLS but don't know which option i need
> > to use. Do I need to use RTVEDIT or RTVCONVERT? With which switches?
> >
> > thanks again,
> >
> > TB
>
> Copy the new MPG to the rtv directory.
>
> Use Notepad (any text editor) to make a file with the following line.
>
> rtvconvert xxxxxx.mpg xxxxxx_a.mpg
>
> Save the text file to the rtv directory with the name 'convert.bat'
> (Windows will treat it as a DOS batch file)
>
> Browse to the rtv directory and double-click on the convert.bat file.
>
> Windows will execute the convert.bat batch file as a command to run
> rtvconvert using xxxxxx.mpg as the input parameter and xxxxxx_a.mpg as the
> output parameter for the converted file. Should take about 2 minutes for a
> 1 hour vid. If rtv doesn't like the input MPG, you'll prolly have to use
> TMPGEnc with the replay template to make a 'proper' MPG like I do.
>
> Assuming no errors, you can now fire up DVArchive and import the new MPG
to
> the channel of your choice.
>
> rampage
>
>
>
>
>
>
> >
> > "General Kireiko" <douglas@panix.com> wrote:
> >
> >> You will need to recode the .avi file to MPEG-2.
> >>
> >> I have never tried it, but you could try this:
> >> 1. Use DVD2AVI to open the AVI file. Do nothing to the file - save
> >> it as a project. This will create a .mp2 file and a .mpa audio file.
> >> 2. Use TMPGENC to recode the project as MPEG-2.
> >> 3. Use RTVTools to fix the file so it can be imported into
> >> DVArchive. 4. Serve it back to your Replay.
> >>
> >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:42:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

ok, I got it to work via commandline but got the following error:
Unsupported audio frequency - must be 48Khz

sorry, i'm pretty new to all of this. what program do I need to use to
reencode it at 48Khz? or is it possible?

Thanks for all the help, once again,

TB in Austin

"T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in message
news:11fnf7pe5bssh3d@corp.supernews.com...
> when I doubleclick the convert.bat file i created, nothing happens. a cmd
> prompt windows flashes for a second but then goes immediately away. I
also
> tried doing it through a command line, but got the following message:
> 'rtvconvert' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable
> program or batch file.
>
> Do I need to place the RTVTOOLS in my System folder?
>
> TB
>
> "rampage" <rampage@getta.net> wrote in message
> news:Xns96AFA9FDBDE3Frampagegettanet@140.99.99.130...
> > "T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in
> > news:11fnaoemccjke49@corp.supernews.com:
> >
> > > ok, so I downloaded WINMPG to convert the AVI to MPEG-2. It worked
> > > fine. I now have installed RTVTOOLS but don't know which option i need
> > > to use. Do I need to use RTVEDIT or RTVCONVERT? With which switches?
> > >
> > > thanks again,
> > >
> > > TB
> >
> > Copy the new MPG to the rtv directory.
> >
> > Use Notepad (any text editor) to make a file with the following line.
> >
> > rtvconvert xxxxxx.mpg xxxxxx_a.mpg
> >
> > Save the text file to the rtv directory with the name 'convert.bat'
> > (Windows will treat it as a DOS batch file)
> >
> > Browse to the rtv directory and double-click on the convert.bat file.
> >
> > Windows will execute the convert.bat batch file as a command to run
> > rtvconvert using xxxxxx.mpg as the input parameter and xxxxxx_a.mpg as
the
> > output parameter for the converted file. Should take about 2 minutes for
a
> > 1 hour vid. If rtv doesn't like the input MPG, you'll prolly have to use
> > TMPGEnc with the replay template to make a 'proper' MPG like I do.
> >
> > Assuming no errors, you can now fire up DVArchive and import the new MPG
> to
> > the channel of your choice.
> >
> > rampage
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > >
> > > "General Kireiko" <douglas@panix.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >> You will need to recode the .avi file to MPEG-2.
> > >>
> > >> I have never tried it, but you could try this:
> > >> 1. Use DVD2AVI to open the AVI file. Do nothing to the file - save
> > >> it as a project. This will create a .mp2 file and a .mpa audio file.
> > >> 2. Use TMPGENC to recode the project as MPEG-2.
> > >> 3. Use RTVTools to fix the file so it can be imported into
> > >> DVArchive. 4. Serve it back to your Replay.
> > >>
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:50:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

If the audio file is encoded within the larger file I can't help you

If you are able to strip out the audio track, There are many programs, I
would use Total Recorder (I paid for it) others might use audicity (I
think it does most of what TR does but it's free)

But these only work on audio MP3 type files (or wav if you are editing)

How to split and re-combine I haven't a clue Also would it mess up
timing marks, again I haven't a clue, others will have to tell you there

And finally..... Not all sound cards will ALLOW you to do that

T.B. wrote:
> ok, I got it to work via commandline but got the following error:
> Unsupported audio frequency - must be 48Khz
>
> sorry, i'm pretty new to all of this. what program do I need to use to
> reencode it at 48Khz? or is it possible?
>
> Thanks for all the help, once again,
>
> TB in Austin
>
> "T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in message
> news:11fnf7pe5bssh3d@corp.supernews.com...
>
>>when I doubleclick the convert.bat file i created, nothing happens. a cmd
>>prompt windows flashes for a second but then goes immediately away. I
>
> also
>
>>tried doing it through a command line, but got the following message:
>>'rtvconvert' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>
> operable
>
>>program or batch file.
>>
>>Do I need to place the RTVTOOLS in my System folder?
>>
>>TB
>>
>>"rampage" <rampage@getta.net> wrote in message
>>news:Xns96AFA9FDBDE3Frampagegettanet@140.99.99.130...
>>
>>>"T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in
>>>news:11fnaoemccjke49@corp.supernews.com:
>>>
>>>
>>>>ok, so I downloaded WINMPG to convert the AVI to MPEG-2. It worked
>>>>fine. I now have installed RTVTOOLS but don't know which option i need
>>>>to use. Do I need to use RTVEDIT or RTVCONVERT? With which switches?
>>>>
>>>>thanks again,
>>>>
>>>>TB
>>>
>>>Copy the new MPG to the rtv directory.
>>>
>>>Use Notepad (any text editor) to make a file with the following line.
>>>
>>>rtvconvert xxxxxx.mpg xxxxxx_a.mpg
>>>
>>>Save the text file to the rtv directory with the name 'convert.bat'
>>>(Windows will treat it as a DOS batch file)
>>>
>>>Browse to the rtv directory and double-click on the convert.bat file.
>>>
>>>Windows will execute the convert.bat batch file as a command to run
>>>rtvconvert using xxxxxx.mpg as the input parameter and xxxxxx_a.mpg as
>
> the
>
>>>output parameter for the converted file. Should take about 2 minutes for
>
> a
>
>>>1 hour vid. If rtv doesn't like the input MPG, you'll prolly have to use
>>>TMPGEnc with the replay template to make a 'proper' MPG like I do.
>>>
>>>Assuming no errors, you can now fire up DVArchive and import the new MPG
>>
>>to
>>
>>>the channel of your choice.
>>>
>>>rampage
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>"General Kireiko" <douglas@panix.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>You will need to recode the .avi file to MPEG-2.
>>>>>
>>>>>I have never tried it, but you could try this:
>>>>>1. Use DVD2AVI to open the AVI file. Do nothing to the file - save
>>>>>it as a project. This will create a .mp2 file and a .mpa audio file.
>>>>>2. Use TMPGENC to recode the project as MPEG-2.
>>>>>3. Use RTVTools to fix the file so it can be imported into
>>>>>DVArchive. 4. Serve it back to your Replay.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
>

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
August 12, 2005 1:02:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in
news:11fng39taggsm9e@corp.supernews.com:

> ok, I got it to work via commandline but got the following error:
> Unsupported audio frequency - must be 48Khz
>
> sorry, i'm pretty new to all of this. what program do I need to use
> to reencode it at 48Khz? or is it possible?
>
> Thanks for all the help, once again,
>
> TB in Austin
>
> "T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in message
> news:11fnf7pe5bssh3d@corp.supernews.com...
>> when I doubleclick the convert.bat file i created, nothing happens.
>> a cmd prompt windows flashes for a second but then goes immediately
>> away. I
> also
>> tried doing it through a command line, but got the following message:
>> 'rtvconvert' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable
>> program or batch file.
>>
>> Do I need to place the RTVTOOLS in my System folder?
>>
>> TB
>>

It worked via the batch file, but returned the error and closed the
Command window in the blink of an eye. ;) 

The attachment I sent before (Play Your PC's Video Files on ReplayTV.txt)
outlines the software and steps to take quite well. Read and heed. ;) 

VirtualDub and TMPGEnc Plus are required.

VirtualDub saves the audio as a separate WAV

TMPGEnc takes the AVI and new WAV, uses the ReplayTV5K template for the
correct parameters and creates your new MPG

rtvconvert touches up the final product, ready for DVArchive.

rampage
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:54:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

rampage, i never got any txt file from you. did you send it to my email
address or post it to the group?

TB

"rampage" <rampage@getta.net> wrote in message
news:Xns96B03335B70EFrampagegettanet@140.99.99.130...
> "T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in
> news:11fng39taggsm9e@corp.supernews.com:
>
> > ok, I got it to work via commandline but got the following error:
> > Unsupported audio frequency - must be 48Khz
> >
> > sorry, i'm pretty new to all of this. what program do I need to use
> > to reencode it at 48Khz? or is it possible?
> >
> > Thanks for all the help, once again,
> >
> > TB in Austin
> >
> > "T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in message
> > news:11fnf7pe5bssh3d@corp.supernews.com...
> >> when I doubleclick the convert.bat file i created, nothing happens.
> >> a cmd prompt windows flashes for a second but then goes immediately
> >> away. I
> > also
> >> tried doing it through a command line, but got the following message:
> >> 'rtvconvert' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> > operable
> >> program or batch file.
> >>
> >> Do I need to place the RTVTOOLS in my System folder?
> >>
> >> TB
> >>
>
> It worked via the batch file, but returned the error and closed the
> Command window in the blink of an eye. ;) 
>
> The attachment I sent before (Play Your PC's Video Files on ReplayTV.txt)
> outlines the software and steps to take quite well. Read and heed. ;) 
>
> VirtualDub and TMPGEnc Plus are required.
>
> VirtualDub saves the audio as a separate WAV
>
> TMPGEnc takes the AVI and new WAV, uses the ReplayTV5K template for the
> correct parameters and creates your new MPG
>
> rtvconvert touches up the final product, ready for DVArchive.
>
> rampage
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:04:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

i am using WinMPG to convert the avi files to MPEG-2. When I convert the
file, there are a couple of options I can manipulate. Frame Rate and
Width/Height ratio. For Frame Rate, I can choose 23.976 PAL fps, 25.0 PAL
fps, 29.97 fps NTSC or 30.0 fps

which one of these options do I need to select? also, what should the w/h
ratio be?

TB

"T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in message
news:11fitipah3hk7c8@corp.supernews.com...
> recently a buddy of mine gave me a DVD-R with a bunch of shows on it that
> are in .AVI format. Is it possible to convert these files to whatever
> format my RTV uses so that I can stream them to my RTV and watch them on
TV
> instead of my computer?
>
> if so, what do I need to do it?
>
> TB in Austin
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:21:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Many news servers strip attachments in non-binaries groups.

"rampage" <rampage@getta.net> wrote in message
news:Xns96B0AD135BF79rampagegettanet@140.99.99.130...
> "T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in
> news:11fpve65rirake1@corp.supernews.com:
>
>> rampage, i never got any txt file from you. did you send it to my
>> email address or post it to the group?
>>
>> TB
>>
>
> Posted to the group. Here's another copy.
>
> rampage
>
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:21:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

http://www.google.com/search?domains=www.videohelp.com&...


"T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in message
news:11fitipah3hk7c8@corp.supernews.com...
> recently a buddy of mine gave me a DVD-R with a bunch of shows on it that
> are in .AVI format. Is it possible to convert these files to whatever
> format my RTV uses so that I can stream them to my RTV and watch them on
> TV
> instead of my computer?
>
> if so, what do I need to do it?
>
> TB in Austin
>
>
>
August 17, 2005 12:09:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"CheezWiz" <cw@bgoff.co.uk> wrote in news:S0rMe.9920$0E5.6299@fe05.lga:

> Many news servers strip attachments in non-binaries groups.
>
> "rampage" <rampage@getta.net> wrote in message
> news:Xns96B0AD135BF79rampagegettanet@140.99.99.130...
>> "T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in
>> news:11fpve65rirake1@corp.supernews.com:
>>
>>> rampage, i never got any txt file from you. did you send it to my
>>> email address or post it to the group?
>>>
>>> TB
>>>
>>
>> Posted to the group. Here's another copy.
>>
>> rampage
>>
>>
>
>

Here's the in-line version. ;) 

rampage

======================================
Play Your PC's Video Files on ReplayTV
written by Joshua Brentano on Thursday, March 25, 2004

http://www.g4techtv.com/screensavers/features/426/Play_...
es_on_ReplayTV.html

Learn how to play Windows Media, DivX, RealMedia, and other video files
on your ReplayTV unit.

Page 1 of 5
I'm a ReplayTV fan. Don't get me wrong: I'm not a TiVo-hater. I just like
ReplayTV's extra benefits.

Now you're going to say, "TiVo can do everything ReplayTV can!" Granted,
many of the things you can do with ReplayTV you can do with TiVo -- but
it's not as easy.

If this is the first ReplayTV segment you've seen, read a couple of my
previous ReplayTV articles.

* Turn your PC Into a ReplayTV Unit
* Burn ReplayTV to DVD

This time around I'm showing you how to stream any video you have on your
PC to the ReplayTV unit in your living room, den, bedroom, or
supermodels-only Jacuzzi pavilion.

Note: This process requires a lot of hard drive, but only temporarily.
Back up your stuff first. You've been warned.

Software you'll need

First you must download and install these applications.

DVArchive

1. Download and install DVArchive.
2. Configure DVArchive by following the instructions in step 3 on
this page.
3. Download and install Java 1.4.2.

RTVTools

1. If you haven't downloaded RTVTools, grab it here.
2. Extract RTVTools to its own directory.

TMPGEnc

1. Download and install TMPGEnc.
2. Download and copy qtreader.vfp to the installation directory.
This is a plug-in that will let TMPGEnc convert QuickTime files.
3. Copy the two .mcf files from the /template subdirectory of
RTVTools (see above) to the /Template subdirectory of TMPGEnc. These .mcf
files are ReplayTV output templates.

VirtualDub
Download and install VirtualDub. You'll need this program only if you
want to convert DivX movies.

Get all the codecs
Make sure you have all the proper codecs for the file types you'll be
converting from.

Converting the files to MPEG-2

Now you can convert your file(s) to MPEG-2.

It's easy for most common file formats, but converting DivX and RealMedia
files requires an extra step.

* If you aren't converting a DivX or RealMedia file, click here for
instructions.
* If you're converting a DivX file, click here for instructions.
* If you're converting a RealMedia file, click here for instructions.

=======================================================

Page 2 of 5
For most common file formats (except DivX and RealMedia), this process
works fine.

1. Start TMPGEnc. The Project Wizard will launch.
2. Select ReplayTV5K under Other in the left column of the Wizard.
Click Next.
3. Browse for the video file you want to convert. The audio file will
be filled in. Don't change any other options. Click Next.
4. Don't change any options in the next Project Wizard window. Click
Next.
5. Don't change any options in the next Project Wizard window. Click
Next.
6. Choose an appropriate name for your output file. There's a check
box to begin encoding immediately. If you're ready, click OK.



Note: The larger the video file, the longer this will take. It's not
quick.

Once you're done with this step, you can process and import those MPEG-2
files.

=======================================================

Page 3 of 5
DivX movies need an extra step to strip out the audio and fix synch
problems. Here's how to do it.

1. Start VirtualDub.
2. Select File > Open and choose the file you want to convert.
3. Select File > Save WAV. Specify the location for the .wav file.
4. Click Save.



You'll end up with a rather large .wav file. The larger the DivX movie,
the larger the .wav file.

Once the .wav file has been extracted, follow the steps for converting
common file formats, but in step 3, specify the DivX movie as the video
file and the .wav file as the audio file.

=======================================================

Page 4 of 5
Most RealMedia files are very low-quality. When you're converting .rm
files, remember: Garbage in, garbage out.

If you have a bunch of RealMedia files to convert, try (and then buy) RM
Converter. This program will convert .rm files to .avi files.

After you've converted the files to .avi, use TMPGEnc to convert the .avi
files to ReplayTV-compatible MPEG-2 files. Follow the instructions on the
converting common file formats page.

=======================================================

Page 5 of 5
Now you need to process those MPEG-2 files.

Find the directory in which you installed RTVTools. The program we're
going to use is rtvconvert.exe. Copy that file to the location of the new
..mpg file you created with TMPGEnc. Then follow these steps.

1. Open a command prompt by clicking the Start menu and selecting Run.
2. Type "cmd" (without the quotes) and click OK.
3. Navigate to the directory where you just copied rtvconvert.exe.
4. Type in "rtvconvert movie.mpg moviertv.mpg" and press Enter.



Note: It will take several minutes to process and create a new file.

Import your MPEG-2 files into DVArchive

This step will let your ReplayTV unit in the other room see your PC as a
ReplayTV unit. Your "ReplayPC" will be where all your converted videos
will reside.


1. Start DVArchive.
2. Choose File > Import.
3. Click the Add Import(s) button and select the newly processed .mpg
file(s). Click Import.
4. A window will pop up asking for information regarding each video
you're importing. This is for the guide on your ReplayTV, so you'll know
what each video is. Click OK.



Note: Depending on the size of the file, importation may take several
minutes.

Importation creates a new file in the "Local Guide" location you
specified when you configured DVArchive. All the files you created before
importing them in this last step can be deleted. You no longer need them.

The videos are ready to watch

Start DVArchive. Once it's up and running, you should see your PC as a
ReplayTV unit. If the little green server light in the bottom right
corner is on, you're ready.

Take a seat on the couch and turn on your ReplayTV. Press the Replay
Guide button on your remote, navigate to the top of your guide, and press
the Replay Guide button once more. "This ReplayTV" will be highlighted.
Scroll left/right and your PC will appear. The shows you imported will
appear as recorded programs. Watch and enjoy!



http://www.g4techtv.com/screensavers/features/426/Play_...
es_on_ReplayTV.html

that worked for me, except that there was no sound until i downloaded

http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Audio/toolame-02k.zip

unziped that into a folder, then go to your TMPGEnc options, click
"environmental settings" - click the audio engine tab, & where it says
"MPEG-1 Audio Layer II encoder" - click "external program" then click
browse & point it to the toolame.exe file you unzipped -- THEN click on
the VFAPI plug-in tab in your environmental settings & move directshow
multimedia file reader to top priority by right clicking on it, then
select "higher priority" until it's at the top of the list - & put
cyberlink MPEG-2 Decoder as the next one down, then hit "ok" -- that's
the only real thing i had to do besides what was on that first page,
'cause i wasn't getting sound in my converted files until i did that. now
it works fine. i also wrote my own file for the "replay tv" for TMPGEnc
that allows me more options (pretty simple really). to get your dvd into
a single .mpg or .avi file to start with, there are tons of DVD2AVI
and/or DVD2MPG rippers out there - though...... i think you can use
TMPGEnc to do it & just have it open the .vob files in sequence (it did
it for me - but i had to physically type in *.* in the file name window,
when browsing for a file, then just clicked on the first .vob file - just
make sure that you WANT to view them in numerical sequence, as not all
dvds go in that format)
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:57:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Let me ask about that DVD to RTV converter, Sounds like something I
might be able to use, BTW, saved the rest of your post to hard disk for
furture reference. Once I get everything the way I want it this will
actually be EASIER than using the DVD player in my motor home

rampage wrote:
> i also wrote my own file for the "replay tv" for TMPGEnc
> that allows me more options (pretty simple really). to get your dvd into
> a single .mpg or .avi file to start with, there are tons of DVD2AVI
> and/or DVD2MPG rippers out there - though...... i think you can use
> TMPGEnc to do it & just have it open the .vob files in sequence (it did
> it for me - but i had to physically type in *.* in the file name window,
> when browsing for a file, then just clicked on the first .vob file - just
> make sure that you WANT to view them in numerical sequence, as not all
> dvds go in that format)

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
!